BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Full Rental insurance or CDW?
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Full Rental insurance or CDW?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kimberly (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 7:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not sure if full rental insurance is really necessary and how many people actually get it? I received a quote from AB Car rental for $300 with CDW and $360 with full insurance. This includes a $20 discount we're getting through our accommodations. Also got a quote from Poppy with only CDW for $326, so about the same as AB without the discount. Any advice? I'm planning to book in the next day or two. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #230) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check into the coverage with American Express.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5582) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kimberly, April is correct. It depends upon which cc you use. Some Amex coverage will take care of it, while some other cc's will not. If your cc card does not give you FULL coverage, it is worth the extra money. You don't want something like that to ruin your vacation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, Live From Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6293) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WARNING...WARNING...WARNING... (I just had to type that.) Seriously, read the fine print at AB. They have changed their policy. If you refuse their insurance you have to pay a deposit of $1500.00. They release it when you return the car/truck undamaged. This shocked me and it is not a good shock after a very long day of traveling. I was expecting their usual deposit of $300.00 but that is only if you take the full insurance now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #450) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the heads-up about AB's higher deposit. In prior rentals with AB where I declined their insurance and used AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection, AB has always placed a hold on the credit card. Seem to recall it was about $800 last October.

Kimberly: If you plan to use AMEX's insurance, you MUST sign up for it with AMEX beforehand. It is available for about $20 - $30 per rental period depending on which type of AMEX card you have, and it can be requested by phone from AMEX. Be sure to ask for it specifically by name (Premium Car Rental Protection), and unlike most other credit cards, this one does cover small pickup trucks like most people rent on Bonaire. Also be warned that once you sign up for it, the fee is automatically charged for EVERY car rental you make with that card until you cancel it. Works fine as long as you only use that card for Bonaire rentals as your personal auto insurance usually covers you for rentals in the States.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6553) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would just get the CDW, it's just not worth the hassle. Even if your cc covers the damage you will still have to cover the cost before you can leave and then get the money back from the cc.

I know it's a scam and a ripoff, but sometimes it's just easier to bribe the ferryman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Traci (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You cover the cost of damages with your credit card, so really no harm no foul. I had an accident aboard and once home I filed the paperwork immediately and a check was sent before the monthly bill had arrived. The "special" Amex insurance is a good deal and but when renting in the states just make sure to use a different credit card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3905) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My Amex card does not offer car insurance (UK) but I am glad I took out full insurance as a Donkey at the sanctuary signed my drivers door with a large hoof print.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #153) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 9:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As for using cdw vx AMX. If you elect the rental company CDW, you will normally only be covered after a $500 deductible. With your credit card insurance there is no deductible. So if you have an accident with CDW you are out $500 plus what you paid for the CDW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1530) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Excellent point Sparty! In the past, the letters CDW stood for collision DEDUCTIBLE waiver. The rental car company has fleet physical damage and liability coverage on their vehicles. Of course this is subject to the collision deductible in their policy. The purpose of buying this additional coverage was so the renter did not have to pay the collision deductible.

Somehow over time, (some ingenious thinking on their part) this morphed into the commonly used phrase; collision damage waiver. The point is now they will STILL ding you for a collision ded charge even though you pay extra for this. I always decline all their insurance coverage extras & rely on my AMEX. But as they say, each to his own.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration