BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Walking around Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Walking around Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kristen Tucker (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 7:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be arriving in Bonaire this Sunday for my honeymoon! YES! My husband and I were planning on renting a car for only 2 days of our honeymoon to get around and see the island and take a tour of the park. We are planning on walking into town for dinner every night from Harbour Village. Is this do-able? How long of a walk is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1594) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 8:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kristen, The main road into town dosen't have a sidewalk! I would guess 2 miles into town from HV. You might want to rent a vehical for your whole stay. Plus, not to mention, it is hot on Bonaire, and it's your Honeymoon! Enjoy... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #515) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Your sense of distance is a bit off, Ron. Harbour Village to downtown is about 1 kilometer, roughly half a mile. If you walked two miles south from Harbor Village, you would be at the airport. From Punt Vierkant to Hato is barely four miles in total.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stine (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #217) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 8:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's not a bad walk. My wife does it almost every day when we are on the island. And she's old. Just past the harbor you can cut over to the Blvd and walk the promenade into town. But honestly, the car is easier. Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #587) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 8:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey guys
According to Google Earth, it' just about 1.1 miles from the Harbor Village entrance to Julio's.(:-)
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #516) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 9:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have you got your units right, Mick? I just rechecked on maps.google.com, and I got 1.2 kilometers (.72 miles). Harbour Village to Julio's (I assume you mean the little snack bar west of the bowling alley).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1596) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 9:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I stand corrected! It sure seems longer then that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #533) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 9:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey folks. You're all missing the point and being so un-romantic. Too old probably to remember (LOL).

Kristen and her husband are on their honeymoon!!! They don't need a car. They have their resort! Nice rooms, nice beach, nice everything.

IMHO Kristen your plan sounds just wonderful.

It's a pleasant walk, about a half mile. And as Jeff suggested, take the promenade, hold hands,laugh, enjoy the sunsets, enjoy yourselves and have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1597) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 9:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just remember

WALKING IS NOT FOR EVERYONE! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #144) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 9:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It didn't take me long to realize that I sure didn't want to do all that walking. My husband and I rented a pickup from Poppy. When you break the cost of rental down per day, it is minimal for a whole lot of convenience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5036) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 10:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron...l...m...a...o...:-)

Remember: Walking in Bonaire HEAT is not for everyone (bonaire IS 3 inches from the sun).:-)

Still laughing Ron...

omg, i just snorted - Ron, you made me snort

Kristen, have a wonderful honeymoon, congratulations!

(Message edited by cyndelee on May 1, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1478) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 5:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kristen..sounds like you're going to have a great honeymoon & HV on Bonaire is a great place to enjoy it all! :-)
PS you should really rent a truck instead of a car if your planning on visiting the national park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian back in Dear Old Blighty (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3779) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 7:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince I think you are right that you need a truck or 4x4 in the park as in some cases the insurance won't cover a normal car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #588) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 5:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Kevin,I just checked again and more to try learn how to handle the ruler on Google Earth and I still come up with over a mile. I really can't make that thing work like I think it should, but thats what I see.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bette Cobs (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 5:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey guys,

First off, Congratz Kirsten! I am sure you are going to have the most fabulous HM here.
Your choice of stay is one of the best on this island (Hubby and me stayed there for the first couple of days when we arrived on Bonaire last January).
We live here for already 4 months now and I must agree with Ron, April, Boat Chick and Vince, you really need a set of wheels here. The roads are not everywhere paved and what is paved is usually in bare need of some repairs. So yeah, a truck or a 4x4 is more comfortable. As we did not yet have a car ourselves we rented a truck from Island Car Rental. We got a nice deal but could not keep it for the entire time we needed it. I called Poppy from Telerin (Thanks Ron :-)). A really nice lady but she did not have anything left for rent. Yeah, my luck. I wasn't aware that it was Queens day and Dia di Rincon. She did give me some other car rentals which I could try. After about 5 nothings I ended up with..... Tropical Holland Car Rental and they had a Jeep Wrangler for me for a really good price, maybe not the cheapest but the Jeep was great. The Dutch lady who helped me was really fun to work with and very professional.
Well, the point of this terribly long story (sorry) that we ended up liking the Jeep better for the Bonairean roads than a truck (less noise and more comfort). Anyway, Kirsten, think it over and who knows, maybe we will meet each other.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration