BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Reasonable Rate for Pick-up truck from Sunday to Sunday?
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Reasonable Rate for Pick-up truck from Sunday to Sunday?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert cowan (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 12:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, I would appreciate it if any one can advise me whether $ 380.00 for a pick up truck rental from a Sunday to a Sunday in July which includes all taxes and INSURANCE is a reasonable rate to pay for the double cab truck. Thanks for any advice as to this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #167) on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's a bit high based on my experience there. Don't know whose rental rate that is, but you might try Budget or Total.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (BonaireTalker - Post #71) on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AB gave me the best rates. I would also check with you credit card company... it is not ALWAYS necessary to purchase insurance. But this is a personal preference.
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1537) on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 2:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Robert, that's what we pay for 2 weeks!

Telerin Car Rental
P.O.Box 347
Kralendijk
Bonaire Netherlands Antilles
Tel: 599-7174108
Cell: 09-5163001 (24 Hrs)
e-mail: marcolva@hotmail.com
e-mail: telerin@bonairelive.com
Marcolva Maria Henriquez (Poppy)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert cowan (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info everybody. Ron could I ask what company you rent through and if your rate is half what I was quoted is it because you are a continueing customer or is it the standard rate to your knowledge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #782) on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 9:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just booked with Poppy for two weeks @ $200 a week for February.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert cowan (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 7:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

Marge that rate does not include taxes does it? I have been quoted 2 seperate taxes, a rental tax and some sort of other tax.

Thank you,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6275) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was thinking it was about right when you throw in taxes and CDW (which I would never decline). I think I just paid $320 at Budget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris keen (BonaireTalker - Post #96) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 9:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob:
We also rent from Poppy at Telerin. The rate includes both types of taxes, but not CDW. We use our AMEX card, which has the insurance we need for the truck we rent.

Have a great time!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1539) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When dealing with rental companies it is necessary to use the words "All In", which means all taxes and insurance. We use Amex CDW, with no deductable, and we have collected with it! You also get a $2500 personal property coverage if something becomes missing out of your truck with no deductable. Can't beat that!!! Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelley McDaneld (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would be careful using AMEX's premium car rental program internationally. Their program does not cover liability. If renting a vehicle in the U.S. you would be covered with your auto insurance plan. However, if you are abroad the liability from your auto policy will not apply. Homeowner's liability does not apply either. At least this is the case with State Farm, and I believe it is the case with most major companies. In order to get any liability protection in Bonaire it appears you must buy the rental company's CDW--they don't seem to offer liability separately for you to purchase. Also, your AMEX account must be current and have a zero balance or their rental insurance will not be effective. I've done a lot of research on this and it seems like the AMEX premium car rental program is great to do if you are renting in the U.S., however abroad it is a bit risky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1540) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, your account has to be open(current) and you have to charge your rental(truck)to your Amex card. Don't know what your talking about when you say zero balance? Liability is not covered. The standard CDW with the rental companies on Bonaire doesn't incude Liability. That coverage is avalible, but my rental company told me that Bonaire is a no fault country. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I will never use this service in the US as my insurance covers me not my vehical... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1412) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 5:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelley.. CDW as nothing to do with liability coverage. It's referred to as physical damage coverage; i.e. damage caused by a collision to the rental car. Analogous to collision coverage on your car in the US. Except if you purchase this from the rental car company the deductible will be waived for you. If you have with AMEX your covered with no ded. by AMEX who will reimburse you.

Liability coverage refers to the property damage
or injuries to the OTHER car or occupants therein.
There is basic liability coverage on a fleet basis for the rental car company.
Excess Liability coverage is provided to you on a world wide basis if you have an umbrella policy endorsed onto your homeowners policy.

****Also, your AMEX account must be current and have a zero balance or their rental insurance will not be effective.******

This is completely false. In actuality, the premium rental ins from AMEX is great coverage to use on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelley McDaneld (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 8:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I never thought CDW had anything to do with liability. No rental company I communicated with in Bonaire indicated that basic liability was included with the basic rental rate. Perhaps it is, but they aren't disclosing this? With State Farm, our homeowner's policy liability coverage does not include vehicle coverage. I spoke with a few people regarding this at State Farm--perhaps every insurance company is different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1413) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 5:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelley, regarding coverage on insurance policies in the states, all must use what is referred to as standard ISO forms. Various coverages are then modified by exclusions & endorsements.

I never said homeowners coverage would provide you with liability coverage on Bonaire. What I did indicate was an UMBRELLA POLICY would provide world wide coverage which is then endorsed onto the HO policy.
Unfortunately, there appears to be an awful lot of misinformation in the area of INSURANCE.

**Ron** In the US, primary coverage always follows the auto, NOT the individual. Coverage is conveyed through what is known as the omnibus clause in the auto policies. For example, if you have no ins & driving a car with 500k BI limits you have 500k coverage. If you have 1 mil BI limits on personal auto, you would have 500k primary on the vehicle you were driving & then your policy would be EXCESS for 500k. Same concept for physical damage coverage. This however is NOT APPLICABLE to Bonaire since the territory of US auto policies is limited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 8:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You folks got me going. So I called Citibank regarding our coverage. Found out two interesting things. Citi covers our liability while out of country. That's good. What I didn' know is that they tack on 3% for the bill. Any transaction you use the card for gets hit with 3% for having to deal with the currency. Interesting yes? So now I have to decide where I get hit least. Using my Debit card to get guilders or using the credit card. You also get hit with charges in the bank for using Travelers Checks.... I feel like I'm a small merchant paying for "protection" sheeeesh
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris keen (BonaireTalker - Post #98) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill,
With regard to credit card charges, we used CapitolOne Visa to charge groceries, gas & all meals and there were no currency exchange fees. You might want to apply for their card or check out other cards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny D (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill,
The only time that Citicards charges a fee is if the charge is in the currency of the country that you are visiting. Where all of the merchants in Bonaire us the US dollar there is no fee. I also charged everything while I was in Bonaire in February and was not charged any fees or premium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny D (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill:
One more thing, if you are going to use travelers checks you must use American Express travelers checks. If you go to the bank near Sand Dollar they will give you 177 guilders for $100. US and only charge like a .35 fee.
Given that most merchants only exchange at the rate of 175 guilders per $100 you will still make out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #131) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 12:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In the past, I have used Visa Travel checks with no problem exchanging them at the bank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 5:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You guys are the best.... what great information. I'm headed out on the red-eye Continental tomorrow evening.... one last question and I'll check tonight and tomorrow AM... is there a best place to exchange US dollars for Guilders??? Oh please, I can't wait... this is year 36 and I NEVER tire of Bonaire.... blessings on this island..
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny D (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Go to the bank next to Chat & Browse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 6:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Danny... I used to dive for Lobster off Gloucester and Marble Head... boy do I miss being able to get a MA license...Cat Island was the best...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration