BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Is the Park a "must see" for short visit?
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Is the Park a "must see" for short visit?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Sollins (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I will be in Bonaire (first time, my 60th birthday present!) for 6 full days in May. Main interest is snorkeling. My inclination is to rent a small car, rather than a pickup, but I understand this will preclude visiting the park. I expect the car will be cheaper, the insurance situation simpler and I expect I will be more comfortable driving and parking it around town. I'm guessing we will have plenty to see and do w/o getting to the park. Activities I have in mind are: shore snorkeling a variety of places; a trip to Klein; a guided night snorkel(not sure I'm going to get my wife to do this....); relaxing around the Black Durgon Inn and snorkeling there; seeing the flamingos at the salt flats; snorkeling among the mangroves; driving around other than in the park and seeing the sights. I've probably forgotten something but the point is, is the park so spectacular that I'll kick myself for missing it? Thanks for any and all advice!

Mike Sollins
Chapel Hill, NC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lunarlab (BonaireTalker - Post #41) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Many people here really love the park. But there are many other things to see on the island and a limited amount of time. If you are not comfortable driving a truck then maybe you should enjoy the other activities. The park roads are really rough. When we took our mom, she was pretty uncomfortable with all of the bumping around on the rough roads in the park. It is a long trip and was really a little too much for her.
We really enjoy the loop around the island. Going past Gotomeer (stop and feed the lizards)visiting Rincon,stopping at the cave drawings on the coast and down to Lac Cai. We also really enjoyed the kayak tour through the mangroves. Continue around to the lighthouse, visit the slave huts and back to town. We usually split the northern and southern sections into 2 trips so we can take our time, explore and take lots of pictures. There's still lots to do that we haven't gotten too. We're heading back in June for our 4th trip and making lists of things to do, things to pack, favorite dive sites and generally can't wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2682) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 5:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The park can be a worthwhile visit on a 6-day trip. You likely would give yourself a small kick if you don't go up there but the roads are best done with an off-road four-wheeler, with higher clearance and low-speed power than an on-road car. And you don't need a 'jeep' or pickup for the rest of your agenda.

Instead of a pickup truck for the park, why not a small 4-wheel drive 'jeep' type vehicle, rented for one day for the purpose? Less overall cost and adequate for your purpose.

Look into it all when you come onto the island; the 'Black Durgon lady' can give good advice. Your car rental place may let you substitute the 'jeep' for your car for one day , or redo the rental agreement or something like.

Enjoy! :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian J. Walsh (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #185) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I had two thoughts about your question. One is you will probably be back to Bonaire in the future so do not worry if you do not see it all.

Also I recall that some of the Dive Shops had Park trips where they van you up. I have not looked lately but Jerry Ligon used to do a bird watching trip from Sand Dollar to the park. I am sure it is great if still available. I had the pleasure of being on a dive with him in 2000. His knowledge of fish ID was great and I have heard his bird knowledge is equally amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1409) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

the park should be considered an all-day excursion. i think the loop is about 40km but there are times you'll only be able to drive about 5-10kph. after the first few km's it's a one-way loop. take lots of water and some food. after the entrance there are no facilities. there is good snorkeling at wayaka, a nice secluded area at boca cocolishi, malmok lighthhouse, one of the nicest looking beaches on the island (but you can't swim there due to very dangerous riptides), pos mangele for bird watching, slagbaii, and subi branderis (the hightest point on bonaire).

don't miss the restrooms at the entrance. the signs alone are worth the trip to the park.

it's an adventure. we always used it as something to do on our off-gas day but since you're snorkeling you won't have to worry about that. after you pass slagbaii you'll see a sign that says "7km to exit"...trust me, that will feel like the longest 7km you've ever travelled.

i would say go for it. it's your first trip to bonaire so experience as much as possible and keep notes on things to do again on your next trip. pack a lunch (we usually get subway the night before), take water, and enjoy the day. get an early start.

good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #240) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, for a 6 day visit, your plan, and Lunarlab's suggestions, seem perfect to me. The park is interesting and worthwhile, but it is a full day trip and most people are beat at the end of that day. I think you'll enjoy all the other things you mentioned. The snorkeling is so good from the Durgon, you may have a hard time leaving it to go anywhere else. If you like Bonaire, you can return, and do the park next time. Happy 60th!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd Haskell (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I found the scenery around the park nothing short of breathtaking. The wildlife spectacular . I did a one day trip and we had two flat tires to deal with , we would of been in trouble if i did not have a lp hose tire inflator that hooked up to a tank . We didnt dive or snorkle , it was our last day before our flight . The spots looked very inviting and interesting . A 4x4 would make the trip very nice indeed .The roads were rough as described . Once again , if you like Bonaires topography , you will love the park , i did .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #269) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 7:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eight trips to Bonaire, usually 2 - 3 weeks and finally on the last trip we went to the park.

You can get a taste of the park, as mentioned above, by going north through Gotomeer and thhen through Rincon. No special vehicles needed for that. If you like it, on the next trip, and there will likely be a next trip, rent a jeep or truck for one day.

We went with six folks, ages 20 to 60 and no one thought it was rough or difficult. So it all depends on your experience and perspective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob...no april showers) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2489) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 7:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

big difference between the actual park and the gotomeer/rincon drive around:-)

i like the one day jeep rental idea...lots of "film" and lots of water:-) maybe some donkey and lizard snacks too:-)

have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd Haskell (BonaireTalker - Post #80) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 7:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes...I have to agree with Bob , big difference , you are right in with the volcanos , the diversity in incredible .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Brewer (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

the scenery is amazing , the roads a challenge , the number of reptiles astounding and the drive out INTERMINABLE !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1416) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

the lizards seemed to really like the windmill cookies you buy at cultimara. the iguanas were less than impressed but the smaller blue tailed lizards loved them...and i have a picture of my wife holding out a cookie and a chibi chibi landed on it and was eating it out of her hand.

and like i said in my previous post...the drive out is the longest 7km on the planet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Sollins (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Friday, February 1, 2008 - 4:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all who responded. What a great forum this is! I even got a very friendly and informative phone call from one list member who noticed we live in the same town!
Mike Sollins

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Sunday, February 3, 2008 - 3:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When you say the drive is difficult how difficult is it? Is there a road or are you driving mainly on rocks? Tried to drive to the Natural Pool once in Aruba and ended up driving on a bunch of rocks and it was a bit scary. Never did make it. My mom and I are returning for our 2nd trip in June and I'd love to see the park, but not sure now about the drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1435) on Sunday, February 3, 2008 - 4:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

it is a road...sometimes in the loosest sense of the word. for the most part it's dirt and not too bad but there are areas where the rain creates trenches that you bounce thru. also, in the past they've attempted to pave parts of it where the erosion is bad. but the concrete paving has been broken up and it's a rough ride over it. we've done "roads" in colorado that have been as bad if not worse than the park road. a vehicle with high ground clearance is a must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3265) on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 10:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

IMNSHO, one dive beats a day in the park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1465) on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 11:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

i almost agree seb...but i remember reading an article in a dive magazine many years ago which said that too many people want to see how many dives they can do on their vacations and don't get to experience the other things the dive destination has to offer.

so, yes, a dive is good...but experiencing all of bonaire shouldn't be missed.

we used to do that park as part of our off gas day. that way we didn't miss any dives but still got to see the park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz .... back to Bon 5/9 (woo hoo) (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 11:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We did the park a few weeks ago on our no-dive day. We could only do the "short route" as we got there pretty late in the day. The road was extremely rough in many spots, and by the end, I was praying it would be over quickly. I wasn't sure the Buddy Dive truck was going to make it, but thankfully it held up! Perhaps the "long route" is less rough?

On a positive note, though, I did see the biggest iguana that I've ever seen. He (or she) was huge. It sauntered across the road just as we were almost out of the park, so perhaps that was our reward for surviving the trek from he!!, as we fondly refer to the drive :-)

Just be prepared for the rough terrain, and give yourself A LOT of time to drive SLOWLY. Most people I talked to after the fact said you should really make a full day of it and bring food/drinks. So, take provisions, just in case. I would recommend at least a case of Brights (securely cushioned, of course)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2683) on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 1:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lots of ice, in a cooler, that becomes very cold water makes a perfectly cool 'cushion'!!! :–))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deborah Bennett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #118) on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can add snorkeling to your day in the park, as there are nice snorkeling spots within the park

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #934) on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 4:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you don't think you have the time for the park, drive around to the windward side, go through Gottomeer and on toward Rincon but stop and look at the indian paintings in the caves, watch the waves make beautiful sprays through the key holes that have developed over the years. There are so many things to see on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1177) on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I absoultly love going to the park , but it is an all day affair and I think for the time you'll be on Bonaire you won't want to go far from the reef at your front door at the Black Dragon or short trips around the island. But do rent a car drive around the island, the road north past Gottomeer is an excellent one to take to see the beauty of things north it is paved and you can stop a few places to snorkel, just bring provisions and water , you can stop in Rincone too,and make sure the gas tank is full. The road south past the donkey sanctuary(though you have to go off road by the airport to see them) and the flamingo's in the salt flats ,then onto watching the windsurfers on LacBay is a interesting ride too, both can be done in a few hours. All paved roads.
Save the park for "next time". One week is never enough and chances are you'll return like many of us. Have fun!
Have a Happy 60th on Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kaye (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #194) on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 7:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike,

Just some more reinforcement for your plan to rent a sedan and stay at Black Durgon. That's what we've done, time after time (and will do again, in a couple of weeks.) In the grand scheme of things, Washington Slagbaai Park should not be missed, but with only a 6-day stay, my advice is to concentrate on the snorkeling and the paved-road (or smooth dirt road) sightseeing. An advantage of this approach is that you will absolutely have to return to Bonaire, both for more snorkeling and to fit in a day of park excursion. (Switching to a high-clearance vehicle for your day in the park.)

Best wishes to you youngsters for your first adventure in Bonaire!

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teri's 1st trip to BON April 2008!! (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Question about the flat tires I keep hearing about....

What's causing it? I'm assuming not a puncture, since that would involving changing it... is it just from the terrain?

Also, would anyone know if it'll be open on the national holidays? I'll be there over April 30/May 1st, which are holidays, and going to the park kinda fit in for me on the 1st.

Thanks!

Just over 2 months to my first trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3281) on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Changing tires on a salty desert island can be a challenge not lightly undertaken without a can of Kroil, a tatami mat, and a stout heart. Having been there and done that without the Kroil, I now carry an "inflater hose to tire fill" adapter so I can pump up flats with my scuba tank and let Lisa gas change the tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #942) on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonaire is a desert island and has lots of cactus so flats can be caused from thornes.
Also lots of rocks and rugged terrain. We do like Seb and carry a tire fill inflater hose for the scuba tanks, fill the tire up and head to Lisa Gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #531) on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
Yes as the Barlett's said cactus and other thorns cause most of the flats. Watch carefully and never drive over cactus.
As Seb implied getting the wheel off after removing the nuts is a serious challenge. Twice! on one trip I fortunately got unsolicited help from local people.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teri's 1st trip to BON April 2008!! (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

okie dokie - so bring the inflator thingy (I'm borrowing one from a friend) and have a tank in the back just in case. :-) Are y'all filling up, driving some, filling again when the tire goes down, etc?

Sorry if this is a silly line of questioning... but I really have no idea. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patricia Shapiro (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike: Happy 60th! The park is a "must see" place plus it contains several of the best snorkeling spots on the Island. I recommend Wayaka 2 - a brief walk down some stone steps, you are on a tiny but gorgeous sand beach (a rare thing on Bonaire) and as you enter the water, the fish come to see you! They are as tame as can be, you actually wonder who is looking at who here? We drove all over the island for 2 weeks in a truck, we never had a flat tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #282) on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike from the 60's...

Washington Park is like a different planet. Wild and fun. Great museum to start the trip. It is rugged and interesting. Wonderful snorkeling, birds galore, even a few cacti. The fossil coastline, geology, and wave action is worth the price of admission. Get in the water early and often to keep cool.

Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roxane Mamita (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 6:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The park is very nice indeed but if you prefer not to have a bumpy ride on the rough roads of the park you can choose to do many other things. Bonaire has a lot to offer besides the Washington Park and diving. For example, visit the oldest town of the island: Rincon, or visit Gotomeer, visit Boca Onima, visit Mangazina di Rei, visit Dos Pos and there's still more! Have a look on this site for information on what can be visited on the west side of the island: www.rinconero.f-sw.com

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration