BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Debating truck vs car
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Debating truck vs car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth I (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, I am debating getting a truck vs a car for our trip in February. Problem is that my husband doesn't drive a stick (I do). I'm not sure if I want to be stuck with all the driving (would be nice to be able to have a couple -or more- drinks a few nights and have husband share driving duty) We are traveling with our 3 kids and will only be snorkeling. Is the park the only place a truck is mandatory? This is our first trip to Bonaire so we will have plenty to explore if we skip the park- I'm just not sure if this would be the only place we'd need a truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1340) on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

we rented a car on our first trip to bonaire and did ok with it. we even managed to tour the park (but that was in 1995 and they haven't done much to the park road in the last 13 years). you can probably get by with a car for snorkeling. maybe look into a van. it still won't do the park but you might have a little more room inside. also, you'll avoid having to purchase CDW insurance. check with your credit card company but most of them will cover insurance on cars, vans, and jeeps but not trucks. as far as stick vs. auto transmission, i'm not sure what is available. good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth I (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Bonaire Oceanfront Apartment people can also rent us a truck (if we decide to get the truck)- does anyone have an opinion- am I better off renting from an agency for any reason?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris keen (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always rent from Poppy at Telerin. Great service & rates!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1309) on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 6:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Elizabeth, If you leave the main road, while looking for a place to snorkel, you will get stuck in the sand(rubble)! Cars do not have the cearance! They bog down quickly... Some of the rental companies have trucks with Auto/Trans...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #919) on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 6:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sometimes you get a better deal on a truck if you go with a package deal with the resort you are staying at, ie: stay,dive,drive package that most of the resorts have.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration