BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Prepaying for gasoline
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Prepaying for gasoline
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henk wallace donaldson (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 2:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When you rent a vehicle it comes with a full tank of fuel.
When you return the vehicle it should have a full tank of fuel.

Your choices are:-
1. You fill the tank before returning the vehicle; usually at a filling station within say a 10 mile radius.

2. The rental company will fill the tank for you when you return the vehicle; usually at twice the going price for fuel.

3. Prepay for the fuel and return the vehicle with whatever fuel is left in the tank. The catch here is they will ask you to sign for a full tank of fuel even if you return the vehicle after only driving say 100 miles.

This happened to me in the USA and is non-negotiable when you return the vehicle.

Read your rental agreement carefully before you sign it and BUY YOUR OWN FUEL in the USA.
This may not apply to Bonaire but many visitors rent vehicles in other countries.

Henk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christina Glass (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've rented vehicles three times so far in the last two months from 3 different companies here (Bonaire). All have given me a car with about 1/4 of a tank of gas in it and I had to return the car with the same amount when I dropped it back off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3132) on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Christina is correct. Most of the rental companies now have vehicles with 1/4 tank of gas when you pick it up, and are to return it with 1/4 tank of gas. They do this due to the gas stealing...lots of rental trucks with full tanks in a lot was too tempting I guess!

Henk, what happened to you is customary in the US for rentals. They should have however, gone over this with you when you rented the vehicle. They usually give you the option of returning the vehicle with a full tank of gas, or you can return it empty and pay "their price." Once, we rented a car with the navigation system in it, and plugged in the airport coordinates to return...and were so mezmorized by the instructions and how easy it was, we forgot to stop for gas, and only realized it when we pulled up in the rental parking lot...OOOPY!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1226) on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we rented a car here in the states a few years ago. it had a full tank when we got it and we planned on returning it with a full tank, but, like boat chick, we got distracted and forgot to fill it. we got into the parking lot near the airport (hartford, ct, i think) and realized it. we still had time left on the rental so we left and put maybe $15 in it and filled it...a little hassle but better than paying about $60 to have them fill it. we were lucky that they let us leave the lot with the car but we had all the papers and they saw that we had over two hours till it had to be back.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration