BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Amex and Car insurance
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Amex and Car insurance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1125) on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just called to see if my Amex card covered our car insurance in Bonaire.
Only some personal cards carry automatic insurance , while there is a fee of $24.95 on others. You can call them.
I am glad I called. The # to make sure you are covered if using your AMEX card is 800 338 1670.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 12:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

'Glad I caught this post - I've been meaning to call AMEX on this issue - so I did. When I enrolled in my "Blue" card a couple years ago, I carefully read the details & noticed that the built in rental car coverage does NOT include pick-ups - which is obviously a problem on Bonaire. So I asked about the "premium" upgrade - the $24.95 deal. It gets applied to your bill each time you rent a car, & pulls in MANY other benefits besides including pick-ups. Like... personal property in the truck to $10,000. Not that I will change my pragmatic practice of keeping anything of value out of theives' temptation, but it's good to know it will cover spare tires, batteries, etc. They stipulate though, you must specifically deny the built damage coverage that some lodging packages are giving you w/ their included truck rental program - 'cause AMEX wants to be primary (& NO deductible!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Cole (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The problem I found with the Amex insurance was it didn't cover someone else's car if I am at fault. You may want to check on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1065) on Thursday, September 6, 2007 - 6:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

***Mike*** You're correct. That's why you should have an umbrella policy endorsed onto your homeowners policy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Thursday, September 6, 2007 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just adding my two cents to Corey’s…

I got an American Express Blue Card specifically for renting a car on Bonaire. The card comes with a free "Car Rental Loss & Damage Insurance Plan", but it only covers vehicles rented in the US (including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands). I opted to upgrade to the "Premium Car Rental Protection", which provides worldwide (except to a handful of countries) coverage, including Bonaire. It costs $24.95 each time you rent a car (or $19.95 for slightly less coverage).

The "Premium Car Rental Protection" is not automatic. You need to enroll in advance. (Easy to do on the AMEX web site.) Then every time you rent a car, your account is charged $24.95 (or $19.95) unless you un-enroll.

The Premium Plan covers pickup trucks.

Typically, the coverage is not valid if you rent from a company whose primary business is something other than renting cars.

I believe I remember reading somewhere that you must keep your payments on the AMEX card current for the coverage to be effective.

This link provides details on the premium coverage:

https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/travel/car_rental/coverage.do

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 4:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

See an earlier thread:
http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/32/213001.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Pedersen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 8:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Accident Forgiveness coverage can keep your already cheaper car insurance from being increased to high rates in the event of an at-fault accident and for the replacement of your car. When involved in an at-fault accident, accident forgiveness protects your driving record within the insurance company’s rating system and keeps your car cheaper insurance women and men.

http://jans.xtreemhost.com/autoinsurance/

Hope this helps

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration