BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Car rental questions
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Car rental questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gina ENGBARTH (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 5:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi.. We have a few questions that we are hoping someone can help with?

fyi... This is our 1st trip to Bonaire and there are four of us, 2 divers and 2 snorkelers

1) Is a 4WD jeep or similar suv just as good as a double cab truck for shore diving?
2) Does all insurance prohibit you from driving in the National Park? We noticed this in the clause on Island Car Rental.
3) Island Car Rental had all kinds of 'interesting' clauses in their insurance (i.e. if you have a flat tire that cannot be repaired you have to pay for the tire, etc). Is this normal? Any comments on what car rental company covers everything.
4) Do you think we should get 2 cars - one for the snorkelers and one for the drivers because we would want to go to different beaches?
5) We want SUV or Truck with A/C and automatic. Any recommendations on companies?

THANKS!
Gina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #765) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gina, a truck is really helpful for diving as you can use the back of the bed for getting your gear together and on. If you are planning to drive in the park you would want a truck because of the higher ground clearance. As for flats, damage to the tire (or vehicle) it is pretty standard that the renter needs to pay for it. On the question of 2 vehicles -- that is certainly a matter of personal preference. Do you all want to be in the water the same length of time? Are the divers willing to only do sites that are good for snorkelers? Also you use the word beaches in question 4 -- are you aware that the Bonaire shoreline is mostly coral rubble and ironstone? As for automatic and airco check with whatever company you decide to use. We prefer a standard and no airco so can't help you on that one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray and Pam (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gina,
Probably 80% of the sites are good for both snorkeling and diving, no need to spend alot of money on extra vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #445) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gina
Four wheel drive is definitely unnecessary and costs more. Go with one truck.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #505) on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 9:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Might be hard to find a car or truck that has an automatic. I think the Hyundais do.. check with the rental companies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #365) on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gina:

Is there any way you could use a manual transmission? It would give you many more options (I only drive a manual three weeks a year -- on Bonaire). I promise the driving is not at all like Seattle (less traffic, fewer hills).

You might want to check AB -- I have been happy with them.

One car or two? Up to you. It is not an inexpensive thing -- a car is probably about $300/week all in. If you think you will have very different ideas (i.e., about when/where to eat) or two folks want some more alone type time on a consistent basis, then I would get two cars. Otherwise...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1112) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Be sure you get a vehicle with air conditioning.
I made that mistake only once.
Having it is definately worth the few extra $.
The sun gets pretty hot and having a "place to breath" is worth it.
It makes things so much more confortable, especially on a trip into the park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yana girl (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #718) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gina,
My 2cents worth.
Try Bencho Car Rentals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted I (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I heard that the current issue of Undercurrent magazine has a section on Bonaire car rental company "issues" (to put it delicately). Anyone subscribe who would share the message?

TIA

Ted

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration