BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Off road dirt bike tours/rentals
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Off road dirt bike tours/rentals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Storsteen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in Bonaire in Aug. for some diving and was wondering is there any Dirtbike tours run on the island? I'm not talking about mountain bikes but offroad motorcycles. That is my favorite sport, then Scuba diving. Thanks and look forward to seeing your island. I did a google earth and it looks like Southern California type terrain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #430) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Erik
As far as I know, No they are not as yet ripping up the landscape, causing erosion and unnecessary noise and pollution.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1008) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Erik..Welcome to BT!! Most of the folks that visit are extremely eco conscious on the environment & the wildlife. I'm sure over 99% would prefer to eschew the noise from offroad bikes or ATVs.
Personally I sincerely hope I never see them on Bonaire (but that's just my opinion).
Stick with scuba diving on Bonaire & leave the dirtbike tours at home would be my advice. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #601) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you want to two-wheel it for a while, there are a couple shops in town that rent scooters and if memory serves Rent-to-Fun (sp?) that has slightly larger bikes and trikes? InfoBonaire can help you out regarding alternate transportation availablity.

Some outfit also rents those noisy-a$$ ATVs, but I digress.

I guess though I also motorcycle here in the States, a Honda and a Ural, I can't recall ANY destination where most tourists would say "Oh GOODIE! Dirt Bikes and ATVs!" lol

(Message edited by chicagorandy on July 27, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1901) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I doubt it would be good for the feral donkeys and goats still out there to be stampeded and run to death in the heat - and you know there'd be some yahoos who'd think it was great sport to do it.

Besides the wear and tear on terrain and the general tendency of dirt-bikers/ATV-ers I've seen in my neck of the woods to not give a rats-patootie about the damage they're doing or the people they're annoying, there's just no justification for them that I can see.

It's probably pretty obvious: I hope they never bring them to Bonaire; not in the name of "boistering the economy", not in the name of "supporting locals" and especially not in the name of "improving the tourism market".

I am aware it's not my call...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Storsteen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just checking, I did a Hawaii dive trip and there was a company that was allowed to run on designated trails by the state. It was great! Most OHV riders are sympathetic to the concerns of the environment and to the concerns of the people............ Just checking, it's OK.
Erik

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration