BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: WARNING: Bonaire Police enforcing Zero-Tolerance speed limit
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: WARNING: Bonaire Police enforcing Zero-Tolerance speed limit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #50) on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A warning for those BTers presently on Bonaire. Today the Bonaire police had at least one zero-tolerance speed trap in operation. By zero-tolerance I mean one km/hour over the posted speed limit of 40 km/hr in towns and 60 km/hr outside of towns will earn you a speeding ticket.

I know this from first hand experience - at 5:45PM tonight I was headed north on Kaya Gob. N. Debrot (the street that runs north of Kralendijk in front of Capt Don's, Buddy Dive, etc. While this street is poorly marked, it is a 40 km/hr zone (25 mph). I was ripping along at 46 km/hr (28 mph) and am now the reluctant recipient of a Bonaire speeding ticket. For those that know this street, driving 46 km/hr on it will generally get you a long line of tail-gaters and annoyed drivers. In my case, I had my share of tailgaters and they, along with me all got pulled over and given tickets. We probably had about ten cars being processed while I was there.

So, if you are on the island, be alert that the random enforcement of speed limits has started again. I've been on Bonaire since June 4 and these are the first police I've seen :-( .

- Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1824) on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for the warning Barton.

Mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi ~ on BON July 21st (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #885) on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the heads up. I will NOT pack my lead foot for this coming week's trip to Bonaire :-)

Sorry about your ticket and appreciate the warning!!!

Kobi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kini "no trip in sight either" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2304) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow...whipping along at 28mph...geez! I saw several traps last January, one by the airport and there was one over by the Superstore.

Barton, you are correct, if you go the speed limit on that road, you get folks tailgating, angry faces, folks speeding to pass you, etc...it's frustrating. I guess the silver lining is that they pulled all the tailgaters over and gave them tickets too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jennifer Eveleth (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How much is a ticket and how do you pay it? Man, we just re-adjusted to Southern California speeds where you have to be going at least 80 and weaving in and out of lanes to get any notice!

I will just leave the truck in 2nd gear :-)

Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The ticket was Naf 50 (USD 28). I don't know what their rate structure is - and I don't intend on finding out :-).

To pay the fine you must first go to the public prosecutors office - just south of the town pier and across the street. They stamp your ticket and mark the fee, then you have to go to the landsontvanger office (big blue building down the street from the eilandsontvanger office) - you can see it from Kaya Internashonal but you have to wind around on some side streets to actually get there. Once the fee is paid they notify the prosecutors office so you "stay out of jail" :-).

Guess I'll be leading a convoy everywhere I go for a while :-).

- Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Moloney (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wish they would pull cars over 10 at a time in Atlanta!

Isn't 10 cars in one place on Bonaire called a traffic jam? :-)

Oops - I should add that I'm sorry to hear about your ticket... At least it wasn't too expensive. My last ticked for expired tags was $181.

(Message edited by melissam on July 20, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - www.bsdme.info (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #444) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I learned an expensive lesson a few months ago. Unless a road is marked 60 (or 50 down south) it is 40. Not 41 or 44 but 40.

I will often pull off now to let others pass me by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kini "no trip in sight either" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2309) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, I was going to say "I had a friend who got an expensive ticket in January"...NOT lol! I agree with Susan, pull over and let the speeders whiz by!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I understand that the police were also out south of town yesterday afternoon - down by Divi...

Guess yesterday was the police force's quarterly revenue enhancement day...

- Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know I am mundane in this respect. I tend to drive the speed limit. I do wonder; however, why laws that are created to protect people are incongruent with the goal. It is a problem where I live as well. It makes far more sense to me, for enforcement to focus on aggressive drivers than the leader in the pack that is exceeding the speed limit by less than 5km/hr. Maybe they should ticket only the trailing cars that are obviously tailgating to intimidate the lead car to go faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Now that I know about the "zero tolerance" approach to speed enforcement here on Bonaire, I don't have an issue with going a max of 40 km/hr. In some respects, it is better than what happens in the USA where some police give you 5 mph, some 10 mph, etc... this naturally leads to people pushing the envelope to see what they can get away with and those trying to adhere to the speed limit being pushed by the more aggressive drivers. With "zero tolerance" you know where the boundary is - period.

My issue with the Bonaire police's approach is that to make the policy effective, as in any location, you need to have continuous enforcement (or the threat of continuous enforcement), not random enforcement every 2 - 4 months, or however often it is here. The other issue here is that it is not just the Bonaire residents that speed and tailgate :-). Some of the most aggressive drivers I've seen have clearly been tourists (rental pickups with dive gear in back). The "zero tolerance" speed limit message needs to be clearly delivered to anyone renting a car. I suspect that if Bonaire had more regular speed limit enforcement and tourists were clearly informed of the speed limit expectations, then drivers like me wouldn't feel like we are getting pushed down the road :-).

- Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #186) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 12:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When they ticket for just one km over the speed limit, it sounds like they don't have enough business--lol--if they did that here in Las Vegas, the whole damn town would be at a standstill--lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - www.bsdme.info (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #445) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 7:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A few months ago a set of drempels (speed bumps like those on Kaya Industria) were installed between the Chinese store and the school. Traffic was backed up beyond belief. People were late for work. Everyone who had allowed just enough time to get where they were going were 10 minutes or more late. The drempels were removed!

I am not privy to what gets the police out to ticket. It doesn't happen often. There is bound to be more activity as we reach the end of this month when all vehicle license plates must have the current sticker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #148) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've only been to Bonaire 5 times for a total of maybe 10 weeks and I don't remember ever seeing a police car. I've never seen anyone pulled over. I'll be returning in November/December for a couple of weeks and this is definitely good to know. Do they police both sides of the island? I've driven pretty fast when returning from Karpata before someone on BT mentioned the shortcut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill, I can't answer where one might expect to find the police but I suspect they might be on the road from Rincon if they are serious about the speeding issue. While my speeding ticket was being written, I spent the time talking with a policewoman. She said this particular speed limit enforcement effort was partly the result of a serious speeding related accident that happened a couple of weeks ago on the main road from Rincon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim McPeak (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #894) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Personally, I think this is great. The way some cars and motorcycles rip around those streets is insane. I hope this helps to cut down on kids getting killed on motorcycles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henk Schrijver (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #173) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In The Netherlands the police should be able to show a calibrate report of the tool that is used to messure the speed. If it is older then a year or doesn't excist, then you cannot trust the tool and is the fine not valid.

Does this count in Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Henk, I'm not qualified to answer your question, but I'll ask another one. When the police are pulling over ten cars at a time, how do you verify that the speed they show you was actually yours?

In my case I just assumed they were correct as the speed they noted was pretty close to what the speedometer indicated.

- Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henk Schrijver (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #174) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can always challenge them. Because the speedometer in cars sometimes also incates more then you actually drive.
But again, this works in The netherlands and not necissarely in Bonaire.

IF you drove 46, that is actually very decent, most cars go wel over 60. But there is always one (mostle a D number during working ours) that doesn't go faster then 30km :-)

Henk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2806) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just commented to a friend how crazy fast people drive these days ..I drive fast myself, like 60 and 80 at times and have been passed about 10 times this week..the airport road is a race track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1004) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try walking along EEG Blvd around 7:00 AM as they're rushing to god knows where..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Word (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Am I the only outsider who see the irony in a police department that stops drivers going 3 clics over the posted limit but apparently does little enforcement or patrolling to stop theft at shore diving sites?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1006) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

***but apparently does little enforcement or patrolling to stop theft at shore diving sites?***
Pauline.. How do you really know exactly what the Bonaire police are doing in this respect? Have you spoken to the chief or other members of the force?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2202) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

problem actually would appear to be insufficient resources - both for traffic control and for dive site security...

but so far no tickets and i ain't been ripped off - so i'm ahead:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #161) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince,Pauline just made a statment that may in fact be true. Do you think if you asked the police if they ignored the crime on Bonaire they would own up to it????
It seems that on this website, if someone makes a comment that is not nicey nicey about Bonaire, someone is right there to jump down their throat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1007) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lisa..Of course it MAY be true but it could also be false. If you have an opinion on an issue, that's fine. But if you want to examine the VALIDITY of an opinion or belief you have to
address & verify other material issues.

When I read polls of various issues I have to take the published results at times "with a grain of salt". The raw data published is strongly influenced by the way or manner a question is asked.
If you ask the police "are you ignoring crime" , of course the answer would be NO.
If the question is rephrased: "what additional efforts are being done to ensure that there are no problems at dive sites" you may get a completely different & more valid response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #162) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Many things on this site may be true and may be false. I just find that if anything is said that is not all that flattering, people are extremely defensive. It can be quite one sided from time to time.
Don't get me wrong. It's a great website with an abundance of information. And we love Bonaire. I just wish more people would be more open. Amen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted I (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe I missed it in this long thread, but did they use a radar gun like we typically see in the US? Just wondering if I should pack my Valentine One next time.

10 cars at a time? I guess they just assumed all cars stacked up behind you had to be doing the same speed as you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 6:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ted,

They used a hand-held "gun" but I don't know whether it was radar or laser - didn't bother to ask. If it was a laser gun, I would think they could easily pick off each car individually.

Rather than bringing your "ticket avoidance warning device" and worrying about getting a ticket, I recommend just doing the 40 kph max or 60 kph max speed limits (but not over). I haven't seen any radar traps since that one afternoon but I have been trying to do the zero-tolerance speeds - much to the annoyance of some drivers. Interestingly, the mix of tailgaiters seems to be about 50-50 local residents to tourists (I'm basing this very scientific observation on whether the vehicle is a rental or not...). The good news (for me) is that the average speeds driven seem to have reduced and the convoys I lead are only a couple of cars now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #158) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think I'll bring my radar detector. Of course, I never speed. Never. I always go exactly the speed limit. Not one mile faster. Not one mile slower. I only use the detector as a way of rewarding myself by detecting the presence of police with a radar gun. It always makes me feel good when the detector sounds and its light flashes and I look down and see that I'm, as always, going exactly the speed limit. My detector even sends out a false signal to the radar gun giving the police a false signal and thus rendering their reading void. Of course, that would be helpful to people who actually speed. Which I never do. So I'm bringing my detector on my next trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1012) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 10:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill, It will stop you from swimming to fast as well! Because if you don't take it with you underwater you can kiss it good by... ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #159) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 12:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh no! Are you saying the police have radar traps at the dive sites?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henk Schrijver (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #181) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 3:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there,

I have lived in Bonaire for 15 yrs and sometimes the check the speed for a few days and then you don't see them for a year. But hee, we're now on vacation when we're there. So just take your time. Speeding with the distances on Bonaire will take you there probably 30 seconds sooner.

My problem is when I am back in Holland, leave the airport and have to start driving 120 km/h on the hight way. It takes a few kilometers, before I am back at the rush. I just go 80 or 90 all the way home, don't bother to pass the trucks.

But what I mean to say to Bill, leave the detector home and just relax. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky H - another with no trip in sight (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1282) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill, what I think they mean (and sorry if you already understood it and are being sarcastic) is that anything electronic/expensive left in your truck while diving is likely to be pilfered. Don't leave anything in your vehicle while you are diving that you will miss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #160) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 3:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Becky. Of course, I'd take it in the water with me and hide it in a zip-lock bag under a rock or an out-cropping of coral. Not too deep though so as not to damage it. I'd hide it along with my Rolex watch, money clip, credit cards and jewelry. I know to never leave such things in a truck at Bonaire. And leave the windows down so that nobody will be tempted to break them in order to steal what's not in the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #611) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 4:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On a related note, I am surprised that some enterprising souls haven't taken steps to fill the void the Pink Bus left.

In my minds eye I can see a small fleet of "geek squad" type cars/vans that park at a number of the shore diving sites and by simple virtue of their presence provide protection to the vehicles and divers' gear. Like the Pink Bus did they could even sell beverages and snacks and the odd bit or two to the divers.

Seems like a good opportunity to provide employment to folks, maybe even charge a nominal fee to any divers choosing to stop at a 'Shore Patrol' protected site to help defray costs?

Could be quite the new cottage industry?

Just a thunk as I watch the days go by at the speed of a glacier waiting for MY turn to be on island - lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1013) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill, you had better write yourself a note to remind yourself where you hid all that expensive stuff! We can tell that your are not to sharp! lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #161) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wrote a note once before telling me where I hid my valuables and then I lost the note. Now I place a transmitter in the zip-lock bag. It sends out a signal to a small receiver I carry with me when I dive. The closer I get to the transmitter the faster the light flashes. It's pretty cool. Most people don't realize how secure a zip lock bag becomes when it's deeper than 10 feet. The water pressure seals it tightly shut. Most people also don't realize that if you peel a raw egg at a depth of 30 feet or deeper the egg will stay together in the water--until it's eaten by a fish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2217) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 8:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

yeah,

ya know you can pretty much suspend a bowling ball underwater with your regulator bubbles...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #162) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 8:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I read about taking a tennis ball down deep where it compresses. When going back up when it expands making a very loud popping noise and causing divers to wish they had on a brown wetsuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Reg (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 8:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

just got back from a week on Bonaire and was very impressed by security patrolling Andrea I and II. we dove there several times and talked to the security person once. That is the only dive site we saw a car marked as security and wondered if other sights are being patrolled by unmarked cars. I thanked the driver and told him it was appreciated. That and we took pictures of teenagers walking around the other dive sites before we went underwater. Never have had any problems, but then, we never leave anything in the truck either

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5814) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 10:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Me too, Ed! I was at Andrea I the other day and was waiting for the rest of the group to get out of the water and down the road came a Security truck. Very nice to see, I "assumed" they were patrolling the area there for the new development of buildings there above both sites. Haven't seen them at any other sites. Glad they are doing it though. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john mitchell (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 11:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It seems to me that it would pay big time for security to be provided at most dive sites. Bonaire Tourism could advertise this and get big tourism mileage I would think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe[ 2 trips in sight-Oct-March (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #211) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 11:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After spending a lot of time in Mexico, I find Bonaire a fresh breath of air.

When you advertise such security measures you admit there might be a problem, which there isn't compared to other places I've been.

I'm not condoning any illegal activities but I've not been anyplace in this world where there isn't crime!!!--and I truly believe what goes around comes around--I hope!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #612) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 11:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, "might" isn't a factor, there IS a problem on Bonaire as well, albeit to a smaller extent than many other places, including my hometown and neighborhood. IMHO providing some form of "security" merely shows the desire to take the necessary steps to control the small minority of miscreants who would try to ruin a tourist's good time.

Any destination that thrives on tourism does itself a favor by doing all it can to make the tourist a welcome and safe guest as much as practicality allows. Simple smart business sense if you ask me, which you didn't. lol

Few ne're do wells hold up stores that have police cars in the parking lot.

(Message edited by chicagorandy on August 9, 2007)

(Message edited by chicagorandy on August 9, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2827) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone noticed how fast folks are driving?? I get passed as I am mere feet from a stop sigh..WHAT THE HECK..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John "Smack" Anderson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1410) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ann for putting this thread back on track(I believe it was about "speeding"?) I'm definitely guilty of that on occasion so I'll be more consciencious in the future. Dive safe, drive safe.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carolyn Melo (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just returned this past weekend just ahead of Dean, and noticed that there was a great deal of aggressive driving once outside of Kralendijk proper.
We were passed numerous times on the southern road, and experienced some crazy woman in a very ugly purple car tailgating like she had somewhere to go on the road to Karpata. We pulled over at Oil Slick to let her pass, only to see her on someone else's tail 50 m ahead of us.
Most of the abuses we saw were not tourists -- they were obviously residents since the vehicles were not rental pick up trucks outfitted for diving, and there was usually only one occupant not dressed for diving.
We did not see any speed traps anywhere -- the police were missing an opportunity to get some miscreants off the road!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1035) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 6:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carolyn..Honestly, come to New Jersey..We've got lots of "miscreants" on our roads who tailgate (& do a lot more dangerous things).
Tongue in cheek..Really they're all over. Why should Bonaire be the exception?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna Gassert (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, September 1, 2007 - 10:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I too drive the limits - what's the hurry anyway - and am passed frequently. What concerns me most is when I'm slowing down for a left hand turn. As an added measure of safety - and to save myself and drivers door - in addition to my turn signal, I also put my arm out the window... an ounce of precaution...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration