BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Recommendations
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-06-01 to 2008-12-31: Recommendations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #631) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We will be on Bonaire for two weeks in November. Want to rent a truck for the whole time we're there. Anyone have a favorite rental recommendation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #920) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

ABCarrental.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yana girl (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #699) on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary,
I highly recommend Bencho Car Rental. Natasha and Rene' have GREAT Trucks for diving and their service and rental rates are great. I used Bencho Car Rental for 1 week in Feb and again for 2 weeks in June of this year. I plan to use them again in Nov.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koma a.k.a. Tom C. (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14779) on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary, I have used:

AB Carrental: www.abcarrental.com
Island Carrental: www.islandcarrentalbonaire.com
Telerin Carrental (e-mail): telerin@bonairelive.com
Total www.totalcarrentalbonaire.com

and another which was called Netty's.

I have always had good luck when renting on Bonaire. I do suggest that when renting ANY vehicle that you completely document any dings, scratches, etc. when picking up your vehicle. If you have a digital camera, a photographic inventory of said might be beneficial when checking out. This has never been an issue for me but, better safe than sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris keen (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I recommend Telerin, have rented from Poppi for the last 3 trips & she & her prices are great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5639) on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When renting a truck on Bonaire, make sure you take the CDW Insurance on it as well and A/B has one option the others doesn't have which is FULL insurance. The most protection you can have. Now, if you have the Blue AMEX, you can get coverage that way too without paying for insurance on island. You have to have the card and then purchase the option prior to going to Bonaire. Trucks are not covered with other credit cards for insurance on island. :-)
There has been lots of info on this in other threads if you look in the archives. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6006) on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 6:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have always used AB Car REntals and have been pleased with their service and the vehicles each and every year. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #634) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie,
I was under the impression that with Amex Blue, when you rented, the insurance fee of $20 or $30 was automatically added. If this is incorrect, then you are saying that I must make that arrangement with them before arriving on Bonaire. Correct?
Thanks for the heads up.
Ginny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5647) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ginny, From what I have read in prior posts here on BT, they are now in the archives, you have to sign up with Amex for that option, I don't believe it just comes with your card. Depending on the card you have with Amex it may, but I would check with them first to make sure you have that coverage and it is activated for your trip. And also with the rental company on Bonaire you are using to make sure they accept Amex, most do, but I have heard some do not.

Tribs, where are you? I know she has the Amex card and has experience with this firsthand. Maybe she will see this thread and post her experience here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs - BT Bon Meet Aug 08 - let's dive (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4609) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 8:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Debbie and Ginny! Ok...the AMEX insurance is great, but it does vary based upon your card. My AMEX Green, I had to sign up for the program and it cost me 19.95. My AMEX Rewards Gold, it is automatic with the card and it is free. I know many others who have the AMEX Gold and it is automatic, but not free. I think Debbie has the right idea. Just call the insurance number for AMEX (not the general 800 number on your card) and they can pull up your account and tell you exactly how your card is set up.

The other thing with AMEX, be sure to always tell them when you are traveling. Otherwise there is a good chance they will turn off your card, which can be a pain if you don't have access to a phone that can make international calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #559) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I got my blue Amex, it cost $60 to sign up for the Premier insurance and then they bill you $19.95 each time you rent to cover the vehicle. We only use it to rent on Bonaire, in the States we use Visa so as not to get the $19.95 charge.

Aquaman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1280) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 8:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I recommend Everts --- the owner, Ilka, is a lovely local lady, and the service has always been GREAT!
Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 8:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie, Tribs, and Barry,
Thanks. I will call AMEX when I activate my new AMEX Blue and see what the story is. I think it will be a better deal than purchasing the insurance there, I hope.
Thanks again.
Keep Breathing!!!!
Ginny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #174) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I recommend Everts too, service is just great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #561) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ginny look up some old posts from a couple of years ago on the blue Amex card, Jake had some good info and the specifics on what to ask for. It's been awhile since I did it, I believe you have to specifically ask for the premiere insurance.

Aquaman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Saturday, August 4, 2007 - 9:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I checked on the AMEX blue insurance and have signed up. For the fee of $24.95, when I rent the truck it will have the coverage. Will not be charged until I rent. will have this charge each time I rent. Seems reasonable to me. It also allows for 42 days rental which is the exact length of our stay. I will, however, call to make sure they know I will be using the card on Bonaire. Thanks for all the help. Hope this update will be helpful to others.
Ginny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1016) on Saturday, August 4, 2007 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well in my opinion this is really just common sense. I really don't understand why ANYONE would want to pay a rental car company $10/day for CDW when you can get this coverage for the entire rental for $20 from AMEX. If anyone out there can explain to me the rationale for voluntarily paying this, I'd certainly like to hear it.

I recently came across one of the local rental companies on island who advertised inexpensive rentals rates on their website. However, when I tried to rent the vehicle from them, I was told that CDW coverage was in fact MANDATORY. This of course completely escalated the cost over a 2 week rental adding more then $150 to the bill.

So in essence, this company advertised inexpensive weekly rates on their website & then hit you with excessive CDW charges when you tried to rent it. Rest assured these charges are not paid to their carriers since they have coverage on a blanket/fleet basis. A good % of the "add on costs" which they assess just goes to increase their profit margin.

I've even seen contracts indicating the CDW coverage on some rental companies have deductibles! Duh?? I'd advise all of you to read the fine print on the contract from whomever you rent from before actually signing. Many of them have what I refer to as "weasel clauses".

I certainly am cognizant of what I pay for auto insurance at home. I dare say if I were paying $10 per day for collision coverage I'd switch companies ASAP. Bottom line; Your money, your choice, your vacation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #999) on Saturday, August 4, 2007 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I deal with Telerin. They take Amex and I had a claim last trip and it was paid in less then a week... Ron

$19.95 for the two weeks rental.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 4:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got a great quote from Telerin and was wondering if you could give more info an their service and vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1080) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good solid vehicles, great service! Poppy, will meet you at the airport, no waiting in lines. She will pick up your vehicle when you leave at the airport. Very good company...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration