BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Car Rental Ins.
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2007- 2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-05-31: Car Rental Ins.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Eiceman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 3:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Coming for two weeks in Sept. and have been concerned about all the comments regarding rental car ins.

I called my ins. co. (Hartford) and was told that I have full coverage on my personal vehicle and ALL the coverage on that vehicle will carry over to a rental vehicle on Bonaire as long as it is not used for a commercial purpose. Thought I would pass this along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #861) on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

But not pick up Dive Trucks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Eiceman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the input. We were not planning on renting a truck. Did not know one was needed to enter the park.

Also found out that I need to check with Hartford regarding "downtime" This was explained to me as the days that the rental agency is without the use of the car due to damage and they will charge you for each day they do not have the use of it. Seems like they would not be in a hurry to get it fixed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Eiceman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

IMPORTANT Just got off the phone with a different Hartford agent and it turns out the first one didn't know what they were talking about!! My policy only covers me in US, Canada and US possessions !! It really annoys me that they would have someone answering questions on the phone who is not informed. They really came across as knowing what they were talking about.

I think I'll do the AMEX thing and hope for the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Cole (BonaireTalker - Post #59) on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,
With Amex you are not covered for damaged done to the other persons car if that were to happen. I checked 2 weeks ago on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Eiceman (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I looked over the fine print with ABC and Budget and I understand it as saying the Company has liability Ins. up to $150,000.00. Anything over that is on you. But it looks like you are not getting anything more with their coverage. Can anybody comment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #871) on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 5:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob..The scope of the policy coverage issued by your carrier is clearly stated in the policy. They are all the same, US, Puerto Rico , Hawaii & territories of the U.S. (Virgin Islands). When in doubt, read the policy.
AMEX preferred coverage will provide physical damage coverage to your truck.
Get an umbrella policy which will cover you for liability exposure. See this thread..
http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/32/294905.html?1159368218

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Carbo (BonaireTalker - Post #94) on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,
We went through the same with our Insurance Co and Credit Card Co, US, CAN, etc. When in doubt, get the CDW or as Vince suggested and go with the AMEX coverage. It's all for peace of mind! We just return from Bonaire and didn't have any trouble, I did get a BCD tire inflater just in case.... ;0)
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #583) on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The past few years & we have purchased a drive/dive/stay package from BelMar that includes the truck with full insurance. The cost of this package has been cheaper if I were to purchase everything ala carte, so I get the full insurance without have to worry going through the questions everyone has posed here. Just a thought...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Eiceman (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 1:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince,

At your suggestion, ("Please take a look at www.ABcarrental.com "Terms & Conditions") I found the following which I have included at the end of my comments and question. What do they mean by "own risk deductible? I'm translating that as liability ins. when damage is done to a third party and the accident is my fault. The different levels of coverage from AB carrental dictate the cost of the this deductible. Under the "no insurance" portion I understand that the renter is liable for all damage to the rented vehicle but it goes on to state: "The own risk deductible amounts to USD.572 for any and all damage inflicted upon any third parties resulting from a collision due to the renter's fault. This sounds like liability coverage. If I'm wrong, I really don't have a clue what "own risk deductible is !!

You will note that this same reference is found as the last sentence under "no insurance - "CDW" and "full insurance".

Here is the part I refer to:

Article 5.

The insurance conditions are available for inspection and form part of the rental agreement. Upon request a copy will be given to the renter.
The renter is fully liable for any and all losses not covered by the insurance.
Only if an official police report of the accident is submitted to AB Carrental proving that the damage was not due to the renter's intent, fault or negligence and that the damages can be recovered from the other (known) party to the accident, will the own risk deductible charged for damage to the rented vehicle not be applicable. Until such moment that all damages have in actual fact been recovered from the known other party to the accident, the renter will be held liable and responsible for all damage. There will be no refund to the renter until all damages have been fully recovered from the other party.
AB Carrental has the right to change the insurance conditions. If this is done, AB Carrental will make sure that any such changes are indicated clearly and are available for inspection at the check-in counters.

No insurance

The renter is fully responsible for any and all damage to the rented vehicle, caused either by the renter or by an unknown third party, irrespective of the extent of the damage.
Damage due to burglary or theft is not covered by the insurance.
The own risk deductible amounts to USD.572 for any and all damage inflicted upon any third parties resulting from a collision due to the renter's fault.

CDW (Collision Damage Waiver)

The own risk deductible amounts to USD.350 for any and all damage to the rented vehicle resulting from a collision/accident caused by the renter or an unknown third party. The renter is fully liable for any and all damage to the rented vehicle amounting to less than aforementioned amount.
Damage due to burglary and theft is not covered by the insurance.
The own risk deductible amounts to USD.350 for any and all damage inflicted upon any third parties resulting from a collision due to the renter's fault.

Full Insurance.

The own risk deductible amounts to USD.100 for any damage to the vehicle resulting from a collision/accident caused by the renter or an unknown third party. The renter is fully liable for any damage to the rented vehicle amounting to less than aforementioned amount.
Only if a police report can be submitted proving that the renter had not left any valuables in the vehicle and had put the key away in a safe place, will the renter not be liable for any damage to the rented vehicle resulting from theft of (parts of) the vehicle or from burglary,. In all other cases the own risk deductible amounting to USD.100 shall be applicable. The word 'valuables' includes items such as: mobile phones and/or accessories, cameras and/or accessories, diving gear and diver's watches, jewels, wallets, instruments of payment such as credit cards, checks and cash money, computers and palmtops and/or accessories, visible bottles of liquor, cigarettes, car or hotel keys, designer clothing and/or branded articles and accessories.

IMPORTANT: only if he/she has submitted a police report as referred to sub B, will the renter not be liable for any damage to the rented vehicle in the event of theft. Therefore the renter is advised before turning in the vehicle to carefully inspect it for damage himself and to make sure that the spare tire and car tools are still in the vehicle. If upon returning the vehicle the renter has no time left to report any damage to the police, AB Carrental will nevertheless recover all damages from the renter up to the amount of the own risk deductible amounting to USD.100
The own risk deductible amounts to USD.100 for any and all damage inflicted upon any third parties resulting from a collision due to the renter's fault.

Would really appreciate your interpretation or anyone else who understands "own risk deductible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #875) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob.. you have mail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Eiceman (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 6:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince . . Didn't get it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #876) on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 5:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK just resent it. If you do not receive pm me & give private e mail address.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration