BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting around Bonaire: Gasoline vs. Diesel / Gasoil Prices on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2006: Archives - 2006-06-01 to 2006-12-31: Gasoline vs. Diesel / Gasoil Prices on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. West (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, October 9, 2006 - 6:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello everyone! We are scheduled to take a return trip to Bonaire soon. What are the pump prices for diesel (gasoil) relative to gasoline on Bonaire these days? On our last visit, diesel was one third the price of gasoline at the pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2290) on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not any more...if you rent a car, chances it will be a gas engine. The cost to register diesel vehicles is many times more than gas so rental companies stick with the later

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. West (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 3:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael,

We have reserved the Group 4 Musso 4WD truck at AB Car Rental for our upcoming visit, same as we used on our previous visit, which had a diesel engine last time we visited. Have these vehicles been taken off-island and exchanged for gasoline engine models after our last visit? I'm open to additional clarification / news if you have details on these models in the AB Car Rental fleet (Group 4).

I'm thinking the relative availability of diesel engine rental vehicles shouldn't significantly change the relative pump prices on Bonaire. That's more likely set by the relative prices on Curacao I imagine, with some increase to the absolute prices for shipping costs and market location.

Can anyone advise on the current relative pump price of gasoil vs. gasoline on Bonaire? It appears it's been about a 1:2 ratio on Curacao recently from what I can find on the web (Curoil), and it was about 1:3 on our last visit to Bonaire. Just wanting an update if anyone has taken note at the pumps there recently.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. West (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 5:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

FYI, I've checked the Ssangyong web site, and the Musso truck is only made with a diesel engine these days. I thought I'd post this so anyone looking for a diesel engine rental vehicle on Bonaire evidently can assure they receive one by renting one of these models. Sounds like it's difficult otherwise to find a diesel powered rental. The difference in fuel cost can make up the difference in rental cost depending on how much you drive while renting.

http://www.smotor.com/en/showroom/mussosports/performance.jsp

(Message edited by rj_west on October 14, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. West (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 7:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I received an e-mail from Curoil today quoting automotive diesel / gasoil at NAf 1.126 /liter on Bonaire so it appears it's still a bargain compared to gasoline on-island. This is the opposite of here in the USA where automotive diesel has been priced higher than gasoline for several months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ton - AB Carrental (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Robert,
The price for gasoline and gasoil at the moment:
Gasoline ANG 1.89 per liter
Gasoil ANG 1.13 per liter (diesel)
We have the Musso diesel pick up trucks double cabin with automatic transmission still available.
Thanks.
AB Carrental Bonaire
Ton van Berge Henegouwen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan markus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The price of gas in Bonaire is like Europe. A little over $7.20 US dollars per US gallon. One must remember there are about 3.8 liters per US gallon. So, when we fill up in the USA we really should not complain about 2.00 or 3.00 per gallon.
P.S. get the truck with a diesel engine if you can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #696) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

(ANG 1.89/liter) X (3.7854 liter/gal)=ANG 7.15/gal
(ANG 7.15/gal)/(ANG 1.75/$)= $4.09/gallon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. West (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alan,

I wasn't complaining - in fact, I'm delighted the fuel I'll be using during my Bonaire stay is a bargain relative to gasoline on Bonaire.

I don't think the same pricing structure currently exists in Europe, or the USA, due to very stringent reductions in sulfur content in the automotive diesel for those markets. I don't believe most of the Caribbean has adopted 10 wppm or 15 wppm sulfur standards in their automotive diesel yet. Thus, it's still a bargain at the pump on Bonaire relative to gasoline. Your last sentence does agree with my point.

Ton,

Marcel at the Bellafonte notified us the Musso is reserved at AB Car Rental for us through their concierge service. We received our confirmation from Marcel on Oct. 6, so it looks like we're all set! Drop me a note (PM) if your records don't show this so we can get everything synchronized.

Regards,
Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Klemish (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is diesel fuel easy to come by on the island? Is it at most of the filling stations along with gasoline?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. West (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

According to Curoil's answer to my e-mail inquiry

"Automotive and marine Diesel or Gasoil is available at all 4 gas stations on Bonaire and at the marina."

So, everywhere gasoline is sold at the pump.

Curoil indicated they would update their interactive Bonaire map on their web site to reflect this (some time or another).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2489) on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 2:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richard & Todd welcome to BT.

I don't think fuel prices in Bonaire are going to be a major issue, it's not like you will be driving hundreds of miles a day as the island is fairly small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TeederTodder (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I fully agree.Probably not more than one fill up after our ten days. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't driving all over the second last day looking for a diesel outlet. In my town about one quarter of the stations sell diesel. Thanks for all of your input. Can't wait for June 07.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. West (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 10:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Who's Richard?

We filled up twice during our prior 8 day stay, and I figure that will be about the same for our upcoming 9 day stay.

My wife's non-diving parents accompanied us last trip and wanted a lot of photo trips to the national park and salt pans, so we probably did more driving than the average diver.

This time, we want to visit the national park not just for the above-water stuff, but for the below-water as well. So, I reckon we'll probably drive about as much.

The absolute price of fuel is a very small part of our overall vacation costs, I agree. However, it's a nice factor when looking for an automatic transmission truck to use on Bonaire. Helps offset the higher vehicle rental cost for us.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration