BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Maikey Snack directions
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Maikey Snack directions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Schiffer (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 2:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone provide directions from the Divi to Maikey Snack? Read the other posts and have no idea where they are starting from. Also, we like to dine at the local spots and not just the touristy spots. Any other suggestions. Will arrive in June.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #372) on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We know 2 places in Rincon , Rose Inn, famous goat stew, Iguana Soup and other local dishes. The other is Le Ma Se, snacks, drinks, ice cream and the day we were there an amazing vegetable soup. There are other places(Kos Bon So), we have not tried yet. So Rincon is definitely a good place to have a taste of local cuisine. And hopefully this posting is not going to be high jacked for the local food choices. I am mostly vegetarian, nothing from the ocean. I believe, experiencing local cuisine when traveling is very important and gives me a better understanding of the people living in that foreign country.
For exact directions I would stop by at Michaels at Chat'n Browse, traffic circle in the north at Sand Dollar, he can give you the most current map and answer ANY question about Bonaire :).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #161) on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 12:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmmm, there's a sign that points the way but I can't remember the street its on. Someone on BT will know, you can count on that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6535) on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris, can you give me some vegetarian options in the local cuisine? I haven't fared well in that respect, and would like to know of more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Virginia Miller (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

to get to Maiky's Snack, take the road out of Kralendijk toward Sorobon (there are several roads that go that direction, but they all converge into one main road). Shortly after you get out of the more urban area, going toward Sorobon, a mile or two down the road, you will see a sign on the left side for Maiky Snack. The road is a dirt road on the left, down a mile or so another left. The place does not look like much, sort of a shack, but the food is super. Also, another place to be sure to eat is Bravo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Schiffer (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Virginia,
That's just what I needed. Love the local food and the atmosphere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2873) on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

warren, i agree with virginia's directions. going out of town use kaya nikiboko zuid...go south at the catholic church and stay on that road. you'll hit the kunuku area shortly after you pass the baseball field on your right. look for the maiky snack sign at a dirt road on the left. as i remember you'll see another sign on the dirt road telling you to turn left to maiky snack. i think there might be large blue rocks at the point where you turn. i think they are only open till about 2 or 3PM and are closed on thursday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #949) on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 6:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Quite local even if the owner is from Venezuela - living for many years now on Bonaire - is Brandaris. Breakfast and Lunch only. They have a buffet for take outs and on the back of the building is the little restaurant.
Brandaris is on the road coming from Telbo going in the direction of the church on the right side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4360) on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 8:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

the dirt road and sign is on the left just after you pass Sonrisa Ball park on the right..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Schiffer (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all! Can't wait to try them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #374) on Sunday, May 1, 2011 - 8:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

CB, here are some dishes you could look for:
Cheese Balls(Bolita di Keshi). Or Pastechis filled with cheese. A lot of soups I found were vegetable (okra,black eyed or pigeon peas, corn) based. Dishes containing plantains or corn meal can be found without meat, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Virginia Miller (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Sunday, May 1, 2011 - 8:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

for fun, here is what was on the menu when we went to maiky snack:
goat soup
stewed goat
fish fried in blood
brains and liver
cucumber soup
iguana soup
all can be served with rice, potato, or funchi

we both had the stewed goat and it was great!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4364) on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 9:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sopi kabritu
Kabritu Stoba
Piska Hasa..fried fish
Sanger..fried blood
Kabes ku higra...liver and brains yuck'
Sopi di ywana
Yambo..gumbo
Komkomber stoba
if you are not too sure..ask for a little sample
Another yucky one is Mondogo..tripe soup..

(Message edited by gmichael on May 2, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6547) on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris, thanks. I'm always leery of soups...often they have some kind of non vegetarian stock which folks often don't think counts.

Kelly, are you listening? CHEESE BALLS!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #375) on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 11:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

CB, I have the recipe for those, can forward it.
I am only against food from the ocean out of conviction, the other meats are a taste issue, so I don't mind chicken stock. For a strict vegetarian cuisine on Bonaire, you probably will run into the soup stock issues you mentioned. Virginia mentioned the cucumber soup, cannot imagine a meat based stock for that, but I will ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6550) on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 12:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris, I'd love the recipe. Thanks! Yeah, I fall into the wacko vegetarian category, so the meat stock is not for me. Makes some cuisines difficult for me, but I yam what I yam, and Popeye would say. Cucumber soup sound yummy!

I love cheese Pastechis, are so good, but they're usually all gone by the time I get to the market!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #376) on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 12:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

CB, we make the pastechi at home in CA. Will send recipes and pics in a PM!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6551) on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 12:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Chris!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #550) on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

actually cucumber stew is not the veggie an American would think .. it is a local vegetable and more like a type of squash...called Komkomber...a small pale spiny green ball..the preparation of this veggie is very labor intensive (a real job of work)..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #377) on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 3:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pietri, sounds like what people in the US call the Apple Cucumber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4366) on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 4:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cucumber soup is not a local dish..It is komkomber stoba. Yes, most soups are made from meat stock and most stews such as snai bonhi (green beans), komkomber, papaya and colo (cabbage)all are cooked with goat, pig tail or pia stinki.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #551) on Tuesday, May 3, 2011 - 7:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

correct Michael .. Komkomber really comes from Curacao ...most soups and stews if not made with the stock of the goat, beef etc have as a base Lipton Continental Chicken Noodle Soup which is a bouillon powder with vermicelli.so if you are a vegan it is difficult. But then there is always the funchi and tutu sides which are fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #552) on Tuesday, May 3, 2011 - 10:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

the Komkomber originated in Africa and is properly called the Cucumis Anguria .. good picture of it on Wikipedia... it is now grown on Bonaire .. it was available at the last Kriabon farmers market with great local lettuce, celery, bok choy , spinach, melons and other fruits and much much more. The new government is supporting agriculture in an effort to bring back the self-sustaining farming of years past.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration