BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Fresh fish for cooking
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Fresh fish for cooking
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gabriela arias (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Sunday, April 3, 2011 - 8:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

where we could buy fresh fish for cooking by ourself? and what kind of fish ??. NOT grouper,neither barracuda, I know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #686) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

we just caught barracudda on a deep sea fishing trip with Piscatours in March...our freshly caught fish was expertly filleted by the captain on the deck, and excellent eating that evening ! barracudda is safe no cigutaria posioning in Bonaire waters...whaoo is also what was caught and cooked very quickly sauteed in a fry pan with olive oil and butter..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4326) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

While Barracuda is safe to eat is also under lots of pressure here from being over fished.. I also love it but it may be a good idea to give it some time to rebuild stocks..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #687) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ok Michael..but Cpt. Chris says it's ok to eat and sure did taste nice....I promise not to eat grouper....or octypus soup ! we are headed to western China...ummm camel hoof stew is on the menu..do we dare try that ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gabriela arias (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know octopus is safe to eat!. Are there a fishmarket or a place where to buy fresh fish ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4328) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

yuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #563) on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 - 7:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Octopus is very tasty. We ate it regularly while in Japan. If you have a chance, definitely try it.

(Message edited by kob159014 on April 5, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #140) on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oddly enough, it's not that easy to get fresh fish on Bonaire. Maybe it all goes to the restaurants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4329) on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 - 10:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonnie,, you just have to know where to look and what time of day the catch is in. Right now, we have a few very reliable sources.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #356) on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm curious about why it is that while snorkeling this year, in areas between Eden Beach and Andrea I, I have seen more barracuda than at any time in the last 35yrs. Also, I'm seeing schools of barracuda, including one with 18, and I'd never seen this in those areas before. Any plausible ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #539) on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

also depends on the weather .. high winds like we are having now .. little to no fresh fish...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gabriela arias (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 - 9:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

nice!!! thanks, and hope meet you in Bonaire this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #114) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 9:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A school of barracudas that big may have been sennets. They closely resemble small barracudas.

Just my thought.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration