BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Cream of Octopus Soup at It Rains Fishes
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Cream of Octopus Soup at It Rains Fishes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jane Rene Dozier (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #114) on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 5:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just got back from trip four to Bonaire, but our first time to It Rains Fishes. Everything we had there was fabulous--but the Cream of Octopus Soup was particularly outstanding. I have looked on line for a recipe for that, but haven't found anything like it. I keep seeing a recipe that has shrimp, corn, and potatoes in it, so that definitely is not it. The soup was kind of pink, so I'm guessing it had tomatoes in it. ooooooo, it was soooo good!!!
Jane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #110) on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 8:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

come on....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please take a moment to ponder the source before ordering local seafood dishes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #676) on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 9:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seafood has been around probably longer than you or I have.
Combined.
There are limits on how concerned I'm going to get about something that has been going on for hundreds of years.
I'm more concerned about getting my AcuSpear legalized so I can harpoon LIONFISH on my next trip...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ppartlo (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 9:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow...interesting perspective...
Disappointing to see it on this site.
I wonder how many truly believe that sea life has followed this curve?
world pop

I have to hope that experiencing octopus on the reefs is a bigger draw than a good bowl of soup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jane Rene Dozier (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #115) on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 10:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh geez... didn't know my compliment to IRF was going to cause this turn of discussion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #357) on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where did you think the Octopus came from? Frozen from a farm? Obviously from the reef. Don't see many anymore.....
Conch Fritters at another BON restaurant: obviously locally harvested. The only conch farm in the Caribbean on Caicos is not big enough to supply the world with Conch.
We are contributing to the over harvesting of the reef creatures by not questioning the source and ordering the local catch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3289) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 1:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jane,

I believe your topic has been hijacked - or better said, you have been sandbagged - for no good reason.

This sort of aggressive response is a major reason why Community Chat is now the long thread on BT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #358) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 9:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, I disagree, we are in the dining section discussing the menu item of a restaurant that is located in a protected marine area. As patron, we should be asking the restaurant where their ingredients come from and we definitely should stop fueling the harvest of local reef fish by not ordering them anymore. I am 100% behind Capt Dons campaign: Enjoy our reef fishes-Just don't eat them http://bonairereporter.com/news/011pdfs/newcurrent.pdf page 18

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #111) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 10:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Im not downing Jane. It's just sad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration