BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: The Great Key Lime Pie Debate
Bonaire Talk: Dining: The Great Key Lime Pie Debate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #217) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 8:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We (wife Jackie, her brother Jim, and his wife Nancy) had a lovely meal at Cactus Blue last night. We capped it off with the Key Lime pie, as recommended on a previous thread.

The four of us (all true mavens in the KLP department) agreed that it was very different from, but certainly as good as, Unbelievable's. We declared it (unofficially, of course) to be a dead heat.

Yum! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6654) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 9:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff.... key lime at Cactus Blue is my favorite, hands down, but I've never had it at Unbelieveable. I do think if I remember correctly that Hagen grows the limes in his yard. I love that.:)

SAVE ME SOME PIE!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RObert Carter (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My pie that I made in my apartment when we stayed at HHH this last December.
Nothing like cooking tropical food in the tropics.
Other than mine, Cactus Blue.
Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #418) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 12:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have had key lime pie in the Keys (Big Pine Key) where the key limes grow. Cactus Blue has the most authentic key lime pie I have tasted outside the Keys. You are correct, Hagen has a key lime tree in his yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1030) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 1:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can't wait to do my own comparison this week-end. woo hoo!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #218) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

At the rate we're scarfing down the pie, we may not be able to fit in our clothes when we get home, but I/we promise to leave some for all who crave it.

BTW, La Balandra at Harbour Village now has on the menu a "lime pie" which is to die for. Again, it is different from anything else I've tried, but certainly worth the effort. If you want to give it a shot, come for lunch and just for a take-out order.

Now that he's mentioned it, wouldn't it be cool, next time he's on the island, if Robert let us all know when he's doing key lime pie, and how many pies he's preparing, and, of course, where he's staying?!? Could end up being the world's first KLP orgy!

Again, YUM!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RObert Carter (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 4:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff,
I am all for that. The next day I step forth on the island is December 18, 2011 (red eye) Have to enjoy the Winter holidays away from the snow even if it is during the high season of people. And as long as everything works out we will be at HHH again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #435) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have never had Unbelievable's Key Lime Pie. I have had Cactus Blue's though, and it is superb. But, in the interest of fairness, I will definitely make it a point to go to Unbelievable's and try theirs. Hmmmm, making me hungry here guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1532) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff, is La Balandra open to the public (again)? For the past few years, HVBR has been off-limits to anyone not staying there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #219) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 4:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I asked at the front desk about the restaurant being open, and the answer was "maybe!" You can call for reservations for either lunch or dinner, and depending on how full the resort is at that time...well...reservations may or may not be available. I had no idea we were staying in such a high-fallutin' place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #221) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 9:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, after a delightful meal at Bambu, we went around the corner to Unbelievable to see if we could just enjoy a couple of pieces of KLP.

It was a sublimely (you should forgive the pun) spiritual experience...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy in Upstate NY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #116) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just got back from a wonderful trip. I had to try the key lime Pie at Unbelievable. It was the best pie I every had. I can't say it was better than anyone elses on the island because I didn't try any others. But I will buy a whole pie next time I visit Bonaire to have for the week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #242) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 4:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sandy, just thinking about a whole key lime pie from Unbelievable is a spiritual experience...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1035) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have the key lime this time too and it is as I remembered from last year. Simply the best. I ordered 4 slices for take out. $28 Ouch, but oh so worth it. Next year I will order the whole pie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1247) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can give this a try at home. It makes a great pie.

http://www.joesstonecrab.com/recipes/keylime.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RObert Carter (BonaireTalker - Post #60) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 9:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bobby Flay did a Throwdown with Key lime yesterday. Both of the pies looked wonderful.
Bobby won.
Here is the link to his recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/key-lime-coconut-pie-recipe/index.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration