BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: AMEX
Bonaire Talk: Dining: AMEX
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stephens (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 1:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anybody speak to issues limiting use of American Express cards on Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1534) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 3:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From the seller's point of view, their commission is too high (last I heard 5%?), and they take to long to pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #421) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 4:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The good news on using AMEX is you will not be charged a foreign transaction fee like VISA or Mastercard. The bad news is few restaurants take AMEX. I think we only were able to use ours at City Cafe and perhaps Wils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #497) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I try and be sensitive to the transactional costs imposed on the business when i use a credit card on Bonaire, especially for smaller purchases like lunch/dinner. AmEx is definitely higher and, whenever I can, I try and pay with cash.

Maduro bank accepts most ATM cards, and the fee for doing so was only a few bucks on either side of the transaction. Cash is king, baby. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4294) on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will accept Amex if that is all a client has but they take forever to pay...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #480) on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just got this notice today ... no more foreign transaction fees on Chase Continental Presidents MasterCard ...

Designed from its inception to provide unparalleled travel benefits, your Presidential PlusSM Card has now been further enhanced.

As of February 15, 2011, you will no longer be charged foreign transaction fees.1 That means that you'll now save 3% on all international purchases made using your Presidential Plus Card.

(Message edited by kob159014 on February 21, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Truesdell(Bellafonte condos) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 7:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amex does take forever to pay and the rates are always higher. We have a low percent to Amex due to most our purchases are construction payments. We do not advertise for Amex but will take it if we have to. You do what you have to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 4:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I this on the Total Rental Car web site. They state "As off 31/12/2010 the local banks will no longer provide administrative support for American Express Credit Card. Reason why we no longer accept American Express."

Is this true? It sounds as if NO LOCAL BANKS will clear AMEX charges anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #312) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 5:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do not believe that is true. I just rented a truck on Sat and used my AMEX Delta card. I checked this afternoon to make sure the charge hit my account for INS purposes and it did. My guess is that Total doen't want people using the card. Maybe they want to charge for ins themselves. Just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #503) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick - I successfully used my Amex in January 2011 with Budget, so I don't think so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1540) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There's a difference between administrative support and accepting charges. I read this to mean that if there are any problems with Amex charges (for the seller), such as declined charges or disputed charges, payments not made, claims, etc., it means that the seller is on his/her own to handle all the follow-up admin with Amex themselves--that the bank won't do this on their behalf. As far as I know, only one bank represents Amex here, and that's MCB. So, companies might face additional hurdles if they do not use MCB, and have to rely upon their own bank to do admin with MCB...MCB has to do admin with Amex...which becomes a lot of extra work. For small businesses, this just might be too much to handle themselves...for example a local car rental company (Total) vs. a world-wide brand (Budget).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4299) on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 8:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth as usual has the right take on the amex question. Total just wants to not use amex as do many of us but their reason while valid may not be the whole issue. I had problems once and ended up talking to their Caribbean office in Mexico City..not much help since the language was a barrier to solving the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monique van berge henegouwen (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

from what I have heard MCB has NO contract anymore with AMEX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4300) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

MCB still has a contract and processes AMEX for the merchants. They will no longer issue amex cards however. Clients can still use cards as before. I spoke with the bank ten minutes ago and got the facts..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #505) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 12:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for checking, Michael.

The primary reason I keep my AmEx is for renting trucks on Bonaire. I hope the other car rental places don't follow Total's example.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration