BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Reataurant dress
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Reataurant dress
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stephens (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone outline restaurant dress requirements. In deference to all others( and for our own comfort) we do not wish to either over dress or under dress...Thanks very much ...Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #434) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 2:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

nice shorts and a nice shirt. No bathing suits.
You can even wear a nice tank top. Dress is very casual, but respectful. Forget long pants, you'll never wear them.
When we go to Bon, my husband wears khaki shorts and a button down summer shirt for the "fancy" restaurants. Other than that, regular shorts and T shirts. For the ladies, same rules

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Dobson / Den Laman unit F (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #200) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 4:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

people who know where long pants and a shirt with a collar...same as the locals wear when out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #195) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Lisa -- I wear khaki knee-length shorts and and a nice shirt, not necessarily with a collar, and sandals. My wife wears knee-length shorts and a sleeveless blouse. She will take one or two casual long skirts, just in case she wants to be a bit dressier. When she wears that outfit, I sense dinner is going to cost a bit more than usual. In 15 years of loving Bonaire, neither of us has ever felt uncomfortable or inappropriate dressed that way in any restaurant on the island.

As Peter noted, many of local men wear long pants and collared shirt, and women wear business-like outfits (i.e dark skirt, white blouse). We see that especially at lunch, and for early dinner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stephens (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 4:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the responses..Any places more likely to follow Peter's rule ? Do not want to offend anyone and would prefer to avoid a restaurant rather than offend or even disturb(if there is a difference). Mike..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17240) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 5:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike...local dress is overall conservative. You sound like you are on top of things as far as not wanting to offend. Dress with modesty for dinner and you will be fine anywhere. People often wear long pants to also help with warding off the mosquitos. Enjoy! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stephens (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 5:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom M. (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 5:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Probably a little easier for someone who is local to survive in long pants in the heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #762) on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 - 6:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is no need to wear a Tux but linen pants & a light shirt are as cool as a cotton t-shirt & heavy khaki shorts.

It is always nice to show the restaurateur & other diners a little respect by making something of an effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1577) on Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will say this. If you go to some of the nice sitdown places like Patagonia or It Rains Fishes, while shorts and a collared shirt will definitely be acceptable, many locals that dine there will be in slacks. So it's just your comfort level. There were a couple of times I felt a little under dressed. I certainly wouldn't pack anything more than one pair of slacks and a nicer shirt though. As they say, "Half the stuff and twice the money" are what you should plan to bring.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1226) on Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 8:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Slacks equal fewer mosquito bites on the legs.
Locals may be aware of this :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stephens (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Sunday, February 6, 2011 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all. You are most helpful..Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration