BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Recipe for tu tu
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Recipe for tu tu
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna M. Leiss (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 3:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anybody have a recipe for the tu tu that the nice lady out at Maiky Snak makes on Fridays and Sundays? We were unable to get out there this year because the roads were so flooded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By iTimmmy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7586) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ingredients:
150g black-eyed peas
500ml water
500ml coconut milk
180g brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 slices of bacon, diced
1 1/2 tsp salt
140g corn (maize) meal

Tutu
(Cornmeal Porridge with Black-eyed Peas)

Combine soaked beans, water and coconut milk in a pan. Bring to a boil, then stir-in the sugar, garlic, bacon and salt. Return the mixture to a boil and continue boiling rapidly until the beans are tender (about 30 minutes).

At this stage, whilst stirring continually, add 140g corn meal. Stir until smooth then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring briskly with a wooden spoon or funchi stick (palu di funchi). The mixture is ready when it's very thick and pulls away from the sides of the pan.

Remove from the heat and turn into a deep well-buttered bowl. Shake the mixture so it sits well in the bowl. Place a serving plate over the top then invert onto the plate and serve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4256) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 11:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can get tutu at Rose Inn most days..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #494) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 11:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

bonaire catering also has it most days and miaki's on weekends...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #495) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

my recipe i learned here is not like yours and i never have had it made with any kind in meat ..
it is traditionally a vegan dish ...
1 1b.packaged dry black-eyed peas
6 cups water
2 cups water
2 cups yellow cornmeal (funchi)
3/4 cup sugar
salt to taste
4 tablespoons butter or margarine

boil black-eyed peas in the 6 cups water until the peas are soft. drain

add 2 cups of water to the drained peas and boil. break the peas with a whisk or "lele" stick.

to the broken peas add the corn-meal,sugar and salt. blend this mixture by beating and mashing until it is not lumpy. reduce heat. continue the beating/mashing until the cornmeal mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan,

add the butter or margarine. invert onto a platter or use an ice cream scoop for individual portions. serve plain or with butter/margarine and grated Gouda for a topping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna M. Leiss (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 3:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you!!
Can't get to Rose Inn this week, we're back home on Cape Cod, where the snow is piled pretty high. If I close my eyes, I can ALMOST pretend that I'm back in Bonaire. Almost....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By iTimmmy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7587) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wouldn't topping your Tutu with grated Gouda cheese and/or butter - make it Not a Vegan dish ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #497) on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 8:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

topping the tutu is optional and not often done ....my sister is a vegan and skips the add-ons ... simple....and we use veggie margarine ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scubagirl M (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

SOunds so good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By iTimmmy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7588) on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 4:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bacon is optional too - I opt for it mmmmmm bacon ;D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1571) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Again I will say it, I can't imagine life without cheese. And bacon is a close second. (I will never, however, be caught wearing a tutu!)

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15520) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 3:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LOL watch what you say E. if you ever join us for a mini Meet. rest assured. there WILL BE a TU TU along with a tiara for you :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1572) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 4:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Honestly, I look forward to that, and will wear them with pride (as long as they say BT somewhere on them so I have plausible deniability!)

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6226) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 1:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yippee....one of the vegan dishes Pietri has intimated the existence of but not to date divulged! I'm gonna try it. Sorry I didn't have it for New Years...with a side of collard greens, it would be the perfect thing.

Thanks, Pietri...any more?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration