BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: RibsFactory Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Dining: RibsFactory Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephan (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear all;
Friday we went for a dinner to the Ribfactory, the food was good but the price men o men what a price.

We had (2persons) 2 fullslabe, 2Polar (not much)we had to pay $56.16 for that. last year march 1 fullslabe and a beer was $16.96 and now that same meal around $28.10 almost $11.00 more then last year this all includes A.B.B (old O.B).

So becarefull if you go there.

Rgrds

Stephan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #985) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm out. Can't spend that kind of cash for 1 meal out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #491) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 5:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

that is why you rarely see locals eating in the playa area ..... at local snacks you can get a small meal for as low as $3.25, a beer for $1.25 and the truki pans are also great value meals...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2839) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

remember stifler's (the former rendevous)? we ate there a few years ago...i got either a slab or slab and a half of ribs with fries and cole slaw...mary got a burger the size of a basketball and a salad and we had three or four beers between the two of us. i think the total cost was less than Nafl 40.00. we loved it there....but they only lasted a few months. they opened in september when it was slow on the island anyway....and they were almost giving the food away. they were great ribs and you couldn't beat the price.

we'll be sure to check the menus before we sit down in restaurants this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #990) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 8:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Get that all figured out before we get there Pat. Ok? But don't do Buddy's Friday Shrimp night until we get there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hiems (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 7:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I recently had dinner at Ribs Factory and it was enjoyable as usual .. In my opinion -also when inquiring from others- is that the conversion from Nafls into US-Dollars is still in it's infacy were pricing issues need to be solved between wholesale and retail. I noticed that many restaurants are encoutering similar pricing issues from wholesale and hence are adjusting the prices accordingly with consequence of higher prices on the menu.. However, the good news is that the prices will be adjusted lower post "trial and error" when all is alligned .. I give Ribs Factory the "benefit of the doubt" and expect their prices also to be competitive as always..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3416) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 7:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

[ In my opinion -also when inquiring from others- is that the conversion from Nafls into US-Dollars is still in it's infacy were pricing issues need to be solved between wholesale and retail. ]

David: Welcome to BT..However, I really don't understand that sentence.
Bonaire has ALWAYS converted NAF to $ without a problem for the many years we have been going there.

You make it sound like this is a new concept. The change on Jan 01 was that the dollar became the official currency of the island. A conversion between the two currencies was never a major problem. And if there was an error made, one would wonder as to why the error was not in favor of the customer as opposed to the business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #484) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 8:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

David, I think the pricing issues you may have seen are coming about because of the new sales tax that went into effect on January 1st (ABB-8%). As opposed to "the old way" where tax was listed separately, restaurants were informed (with very little notice--about December 21st or thereabouts) that they now were supposed to include the new tax in the total price on their menus. And, to make matters more confusing, in the beginning, take away menus were not taxable, but dine-in menus were; I don't know if that disparity has been corrected or not, but you can imagine that it is causing some consternation among restaurant owners, as some would then have to have two menus--one for take away and one for dining in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hiems (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 10:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

@ Vince, when a Country changes their official ccy into another you will encounter issues at conversion .. note European Union into EURO ccy .. unfortunately the information/control/monitoring from the Government & Alliances side lacks more intensity but nevertheless also requires good judgement from the business side .. your statement and observation is valid, then again the local consumer and business community anticipated this -read local/regional newspapers- .. hopefully all parties get their act together to avoid unfair pricing to the consumers irrespective of who is at fault ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hiems (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 10:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

@ Susan .. True .. there is allot of confusion and unfortunately during the transformation period will trigger relevant concerns which may create erroneous perceptions of "good" intentions .. I hope this will be solved "yesterday" already as this may hurt the business wrt continuation and the tourist industry not to mention the locals whom also has the right to enjoy a restaurant irrespective of location .. I luv the island .. Another aspect and hope that the social-culture as "Bonaire" is not lost due to the new status within the Dutch Kingdom. Bonaire has encountered a significant influx of welcomed Dutch .. my concern is that the evolution of such does not further illiminate the "simple and peaceful" Bonaire ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephan (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear All, The discussion is very interesting. We have asked (we think) the owner about the high price, his reaction was we had to take in account that his rent was up, personnel cost where up, meat was expensive to import, beer was expensive. Well a lot of ……. If you ask me I know price go up but 60%

I do agree that there is confusion about the new currency used on the Island but to say that you make a calculation error that big that is very strange. Also I agree on that price have gone up after 10-10-10 on the Island but to increase a price with 60% is very high in my point of view. There for I would not recommend the Ribsfactory.

It’s true that people have to get used to new currency’s all over the world and on Bonaire but the information given by de RCN or government was good it think if you go to the local snack they have the currency exchange, sample pictures of the bills and coins, and even if includes 8% A.B.B or not. Well if they can do it why not a Ribsfactory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hiems (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Aren't people entitled to make mistakes and correct? Why the need to discredit a restaurant which may be a simple mistake?? I do not see any reason to continue with this dialogue if the intent is to create ultimatum. Your first point has been noted by members of bonaire talk. Why continue to stress on solely Ribsfactory. There r many more if u care to address them too. Make a point and enable others to correct. But don't stress on discrediting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hiems (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 8:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Aren't people entitled to make mistakes and correct? Why the need to discredit a restaurant which may be a simple mistake?? I do not see any reason to continue with this dialogue if the intent is to create ultimatum. Your first point has been noted by members of bonaire talk. Why continue to stress on solely Ribsfactory. There r many more if u care to address them too. Make a point and enable others to correct. But don't stress on discrediting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephan (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 10:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sorry to say, but it's a fair warning to all what could happen if you are not carefully in checking your bill. Even so a mistake and not correctly adjusted after reclaiming and given excuses like price gone up personnel cost and so on, is no mistake to me maybe for the rest but that's up to you all. I lived on that rock or clip for local people and i know a fair deal about it and prices, but is was just warning to be careful that is all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1217) on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 12:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I understand this discussion by now the meal price will in US$, with all taxes included into the final price.
If I go to the Rib Factory I will see a meal priced in US$ which will be my final..total..price.
Any tip should up to me.
Am I correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3417) on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 6:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Grunt..I may be wrong on this, but there is nothing in the new tax overhaul which prohibits a restaurant from adding in a mandatory gratuity charge. To my understanding, all prices are now quoted in $$ and include all sales taxes. If a restaurant wants to also add in a mandatory gratuity charge I believe it's still their prerogative to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1482) on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 10:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Grunt & Vince, you're both correct. Restaurants that serve at the table will include the 8% A.B.B. (sales tax) in that price, which will be in US$. It is not a service charge-it is a government tax. If restaurants want to add on a service charge, they may, but then that also has to be taxed 8% sales tax. Gratuities are not included in prices.

Take away food does not have to be taxed. For example, if you state you want to eat-in at KFC, I have to charge you the 8% government tax; if you state 'take-out' when ordering, there's no tax.

As Susan stated above, it's been a very confusing time for restaurant owners, about who has to charge what & when, and how it has to appear on our menus. We were told this on December 17--and it had to be in effect 1/1 (along with the change to $; raise in minimum wage; raise in other expenses, etc.). Try re-progarmming your point-of-sale software, re-doing a menu, & re-printing them in that time frame, over the holidays-difficult! I didn't get a final answer about the take-out tax exclusion until January 5; before that, even the government officials weren't sure (before that they told me I had to charge everyone the 8% because I had tables & chairs, even though we serve only at the counter). Argh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3277) on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, Ruth,

As always, 'the devil is in the detail' of implementing new rules!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1218) on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My thanks to Ruth.
A voice of reason on BT.
I'll start ordering more of your chicken with corn for the local kids next trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1487) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renee Hoare (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 9:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just ate there tonight - the pricing did'nt seem too out of line compared to other good places to get ribs back home in Canada. The other menu items (such as the burgers) did seem a little pricey, so only go there if you want the ribs, which were excelent by the way.

It is possible they're charging high for the alcohol though - we're not drinkers so that kept our bill down.

As with some of the other good eats on the island, you don't want to do it EVERY night (Patagonia comes to mind as another pricey one that's still worth it!). Offset it by going the cheap route with other things - if you can make your own breakfasts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration