BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Lionfish on the menu?
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Lionfish on the menu?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael S. Contratto (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We'll be on Bonaire a month from today. Just wondering if any of the local restaurants are doing their part to get lionfish off the reefs by putting them on the menu. I've heard the nasty critters are very tasty when grilled...
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #121) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 10:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was wondering that too. I'm curious enough to try it. Does the lionfish protocol allow for getting them to restaurants?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #58) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 10:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

From my reading and past trips, most are too small for the frying pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian ******* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4860) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 3:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most of the ones I saw would need to be made into a starter such as whitebait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Tol - www.vipdiving.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #420) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Michael,

I think in a few months there will be enough big ones to take to restaurants. Yes, we are alowed to sell them to restaurants.
Maybe not on the west side because many people are hunting them. I do notice a big difference in LF numbers between east coast and leeward side. So I believe we are making a difference removing so many LF.
I have had dives on the east side with way too many LF to go after in one dive. 30 plus!!! Mostly still small ones with the occasional "first generation" large one. Pretty soon there'll be lots of big ones. I think within half a year LF will start appearing on menus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Biersack (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were in Playa Del Carmen in 010. They indicated the Lion fish is quite tasty if cooked the right way? Local reefs were saturated with Lion fish.

Might be good way to reduce population>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #650) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 7:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"Saturated" is a bad word in this context.
Were there lots of other typical reef fish around as well or just the lionfish???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Biersack (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, diving was excellent; groupers, stingray, octopus, turtles, morays. they took us to see bull sharks, they weren't there. I don't know if i was happy or sad (-:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Biersack (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 9:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lion fish spikes are poisonous and have no natural enemies, the reefs are getting overrun with lion fish. Maybe saturated was wrong word, they are killing other fish and it is becoming major problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #853) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 10:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, the lionfish are venomous, not poisonous. The difference is you have to be stuck to get the venom in you, whereas poisonous means you have to eat the fish to get poisoned. But the fish are not poisonous; in fact, they are quite tasty eating!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Biersack (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks\ any restaurants serving ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #855) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not that I've heard of yet, but I suspect it is only a matter of time. They'll get my business...much better than Wahoo IMHO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deb Gunther (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tasty, tasty invasive species! The meat is firm, bright white, and very mild in flavor. I wish I could have brought some back to the US, but it's still hard to come by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Becker (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 12:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I am not a big fan of eating fish (It's a childhood thing, I choked on a bone), but I would love to consume some of these invading species. lol

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration