BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Grocery store - what to buy
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Grocery store - what to buy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Friday, January 7, 2011 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last trip (2007) we went to grocery store twice, both times only got sliced gouda (yummm), bread, sodas, beer, water. We didn't see much in the line of fresh veggies. Do they have salad stuff? I don't plan to cook, but I would love some lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc. Things we can eat raw.

back to Bonaire, April 2011

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1209) on Friday, January 7, 2011 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Warehouse has a good selection of fresh produce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Friday, January 7, 2011 - 6:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks grunt. Last trip we only did the other grocery store, and I don't remember seeing much "fresh" produce at all. I do remember bananas and some other tropical fruits, but that was it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1210) on Friday, January 7, 2011 - 7:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is also a produce stand on the waterfront opposite city Cafe.
Good for mango, pineapple, papaya, melons etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Oliveira (LBR28) (BonaireTalker - Post #99) on Friday, January 7, 2011 - 8:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most grocery stores now have plenty of all the items mentioned above. I've seen them at Cultimara, warehouse, Gonzales cash&carry, more for less, Peking chinese grocery store, etc.

BTW: In most places the carrots are HUGE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #173) on Friday, January 7, 2011 - 9:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

robint, remember that everything is shipped by boat so you will not get the extensive assortment that we have in North America. There is still plenty to choose from though. I did find Cultimara to have a better selection of fresh produce. There are times also that stores may run out of items and have to wait until the boats deliver new stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #30434) on Friday, January 7, 2011 - 10:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have to agree with Peter, hit them all on day one and stock up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4180) on Saturday, January 8, 2011 - 7:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

More For Less has organic produce from Ecuador. Their salad ingredients are amazing: Arugula, red and green lettuce, romaine and select items. They come in on the KLM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Sunday, January 9, 2011 - 11:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks everybody!!! We figured the stores were bare when we were there as we didn't go on Saturday when the boat arrived (like we were told to do by everyone!)
this trip we will definitely go out and hit the store on arrival day, Saturday, including stopping by BobbieJans for some takeout.

2 1/2 months!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest Day (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Sunday, January 9, 2011 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes More for Less. been there, but do not remember where it was, a little help would be nice. We return to island on March 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3388) on Sunday, January 9, 2011 - 6:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ernest,..

Kaya Nikiboko Noord #56

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2830) on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 12:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ernest....follow kaya bolivar out of town and turn right when you see caribbean fasteners. as you turn, caribbean fasteners will be on your left and the catholic church will be on your right. more for less is a few km down the road and will be on your right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #70) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 8:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What time does More for Less close on Saturdays?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12919) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carol, 7pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 1:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

okay, one more question...
which grocery store is closest to Buddy Dive? Or are they all down in town?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #641) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think there's a small chinese store nearby but Cultimara and Warehouse are both in town, the former being closer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1211) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As you exit Buddy go to the left.
There is a market on the right about 3/8 mile down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #177) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 5:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

robint, tom is correct. There is a grocery store just across the street. Cultimara and Wherehouse though have a better selection. There is also one in Rincon I believe, just in case you are island touring and need to pick something up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Knobler (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #178) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 5:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i stopped supporting those guys in town across from City Cafe. They seem to rip off any non-locals and give gringo prices. their produce wasn't that good either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Gallagher (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 8:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not to hijack the thread, I have a related question. It looks like we have a choice of Warehouse, Cultimara and More for Less. We arrive in the Delta flight on Saturday afternoon. What are the hours of all three stores and which one should we use for our initial buy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 9:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, depending on where you are staying, either store will do. I believe Cultimara and Wharehouse are open until 5pm on Saturday.. There is also a Chinese grocery store near Buddy's and a small store in front of the northern roundabout beside Sandollar. Don't really know about "More for Less".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #72) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 9:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We also come in on the Saturday afternoon Delta flight. Unless the hours have changed, I believe Warehouse closes early in the afternoon on Saturdays and is not open on Sundays. We always hit Cultimara after we get settled and then check out Warehouse sometime on Monday. In six visits we have never been to More for Less, but definitely want to find it this trip for the produce. Do they have a bakery? How does their cheese and deli meat selections compare to Cultimara and Warehouse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #127) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 11:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The weekend hours for Cultimara (as advertised in the Reporter) are Sat 7:30 – 7:00 Sun 8:00 – 2:00. We come in on the Atlanta flight and go to Cultimara Saturday for enough to get us through a day or two, then do more serious shopping Sunday or Monday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie {Moderator} (Moderator - Post #1086) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 4:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

More or Less mon-sat 8;30-12-30 then reopens at 3;00pm till 7;00 pm {oops forgpt this thanks Deb :) }
sun 9;00-1;00pm

cultimara,, mon -sat 7;30-7;00pm- sun 9;00-2;00

warehouse mon-fri 8;00-6;00 sat 8;00-5;00 sun 9;00-1;00

(Message edited by modfreddie on January 17, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 9:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the updated info Bonnie C. & Freddie - we like Warehouse for some things, so nice to know they have extended their hours. Freddie, I just noticed that grocery store hours is a topic on FAQ, but the More for Less hours are not there. Perhaps you could aldo add directions for each store and remind folks that they should bring bags for their purchases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #485) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

more for less has their own bakery and meat department run by one of bonaire's best butchers .. cheese and cold cut selection is large and generally these prices are the lowest on the island...........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Gallagher (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 1:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We regularly bring a cooler full of frozen meat on our dive trips. Does anyone know if that is allowed in Bonaire? I don't want to get to BON and have it confiscated.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim,
Yes it is allowed. Just tell customs your total is under $95.00 if they search it.

I estimated high on our cooler one time
and paid a duty.

We always brought food (frozen meat) in the past but selection and price has improved over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ppartlo (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I really have to question the concept of packing in frozen meat. During our Xmas trip - at which time shortages are historically not unusual - the selection of beef, pork and chicken was outstanding in all of the markets that we visited. And usually cheaper than back home too! Warehouse in particular had an outstanding meat selection throughout our stay. Buy local!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ppartlo (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 4:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh....and big kudos to both Warehouse and Cash & Carry for their produce and fruit selections. The odd thing would disappear from the shelves quickly (pineapples), but we never lacked greens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #157) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 4:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine:
To each his own. If you are bringing cuts that are of USDA Prime quality and really can't stand Choice quality, it does make sense. If you are bringing the quality that is found in most US supermarkets, then I would recommend saving the extra hassle and just purchasing on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Knobler (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

or...Patrick...during your vacation stay you could dramatically reduce your carbon footprint and you could forgo the USDA Prime meats from the US.

It won't kill you to not have prime meats for your stay, i promise. How long is your stay? 1 week? 2 weeks? 1 month...oh no!

Maybe try some fish while you are at it! Support the local economy?

Now that makes more sense to me. But...to each his or her own, just like you said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #159) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott:
We always have purchased most everything on Island and have never brought meat; but, to each his own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #70) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 5:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patrick,

I was just answering Jim's question. Im not sure why I bothered as I knew what it would bring.

(Message edited by antoine_dodson on January 17, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #160) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 6:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine:
I thought that I was supporting your position to bring what you want to the Island. I was in no way trying to discredit you. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #161) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 6:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine: I just read back through the above postings. I should have addressed my response to Jim. Again I apologize for the miscommunication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #71) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 7:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry. I read yours the wrong way as well. Ive seen too many people ask legitimate questions on this board not only to have the question never answered but the poster belittled/berated for asking such a question.

Thanks for the clarification.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #163) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 11:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine:
No problem. The last thing that I want to convey to anyone on this board is disrespect.
Thanks!
Have a good day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Balen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all, As a newby I've been enjoying the information posted on the boards. Later this year, we may have a group of 6 on an "old girls" trip. We may be cooking in several days.
Can someone give me a general idea of the local grocery prices? Like a dozen eggs or milk and bread?
Thanks for any help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest Day (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 9:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be on island next month, my friends will be there this week. They are wondering about buying fresh fish on the island.
Hi G & L

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1506) on Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 10:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A dozen eggs: $3.12, half-gallon of American (fresh) milk: $4.05, loaf of bread: $2.73 (prices per Warehouse mid-January).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're coming back to Bonaire later this month after a 3 year hiatus! I'm reading up on what's new and what's the same.

With regards to grocery stores, are Cultimara & Warehouse still the best bets for a full shop on one trip? How do the prices compare on beer, bread, cheese, etc. Looks like Warehouse is now open on Sundays.

Any other tips for someone who's been there 7+ times, but not since 2008?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration