BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Vegan Dining Options
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Vegan Dining Options
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rudy Sheppard (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since my last visit to Bonaire, I've switched to a vegan diet. Can anyone recommend restaurants that may have some good vegan or vegetarian options?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #170) on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 2:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife has also gone vegan and even though we ate in 99% of the time we did find the owner at WIL's in town did what he could to accomadate her. There is also a new Thai restaurant that was supposed to open just last month that may be suited to your dietary needs. Remember, some vegan foods will not be available on the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #470) on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 5:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

my sister has been a vegan for over 20 years ... she now lives on bonaire and has no problems either in the grocery stores or eating out. the Latin restaurants such as el fogon ,mi banana and plazita limeta .. also the true kriollo (local fare restaurants) ..can offer more of a variety of choices ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rudy Sheppard (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 5:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Nestor. I heard about the new Thai place as well. We'll check out Wil's. I'm planning on bringing some items from home that I suspect won't be available in Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jenna (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 3:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pietri, what are your sister's favorite things to order at the local restaurants and snacks? I love eating local in Bonaire but don't like being fussy and asking about the ingredients in everything, so I feel like I'm probably missing out on some yummy vegan items by sticking to the same few things all the time.

Rudy, I've had pretty good luck finding vegan options, but since most of the restaurants change their menus periodically I try to check to see what's available before making reservations. It seems like the options are usually at least as good as I find at home, and there are lots of dishes that can be modified by asking to have cheese left off, etc. If you like to cook for yourselves, the grocery stores have just about everything you need, including tofu and soymilk. I haven't been lucky enough to find tempeh on previous trips, but I think I heard a while back that it's sometimes available, so I keep looking for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1493) on Tuesday, January 4, 2011 - 12:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I cannot possibly imagine life without cheese.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6159) on Tuesday, January 4, 2011 - 11:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I went to Bonaire to eat, I'm afraid I'd be a disappointed vegetarian diner. But I don't go there to eat, so I find there is enough to keep me fueled for diving. Now that the Garden Cafe is gone, I find the best salad I an find is at Bistro de Paris. His ratatoulle is pretty darn good, too. Pasa Bon Pizza without the cheese is good, and their salads are decent, too. and I agree that the tofu one buys there is quite good, even if I find the vegetable selection not so great....where do the restaurants get the good lettuce?

Pietri, if you look in, please do list some local vegtan/vegetarian specialties: you've mentioned them before, but not by name, and I'd love to know, too....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6160) on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 - 2:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, if you end up at Casablanca with you carnivore friends, they may offer to make you pasta with mushroom sauce. It has veal stock in it unless it's been changed. I know they just have a different opinion of what makes a vegetarian meal than I do, but I was sad to learn this fact after the fact...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Forgotten your password or username?)
Username:  
Password:

Please review the BonaireTalk Posting Policy before posting your message.
Watch our videos here

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration