BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Give me your best 6 nights to eat at
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 2010: Archives 01-01-2010 to 03-31-2010: Give me your best 6 nights to eat at
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kent Gerber (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 6:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know this is a often asked question but we have been to Bonaire in 2006 and loved it. we will be back in 10 days and need 6 great places to eat at night. We love pizza, steak, burgers, seafood and just about anything. I would even like to try some local places so give me your best shot. Also will have breakfast so give me places for breakfast and supper. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 8:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our number one choice is always Wil's Tropical Grill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #624) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 1:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

let's make the 6 nights easier, eat twice at Wil's, it's the best---mmmmmmmmmmmm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #760) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 9:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mona Lisa isour favorite; love Wil's as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo "way too dang busy" MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5748) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 9:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patagonia's - AMAZING

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #24165) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Capriccio
Mona Lisa
Bamboo
Bistro de Paris
La Guernica

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SCUBAchef (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Expecting it to be good, I saved Will's for my last-supper on island. It didn't disappoint. I wish I would have gone there twice in place of either Richard's or Bamboo. Capriccio is also great - I think about their bolognese all the time; surely one of the best I've ever eaten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #105) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 4:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Make sure you try Unbelievable you can walk there from the Divi!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #322) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

1. and 2. Capriccio at least twice, and don't forget the teardrop mousse
3. Mona Lisa
4. La Guernica
5. City Cafe has great burgers
6. Not sure, too many to choose.
But stay away from Zeezichts.....yuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beau (but you can call me Bubbles)***** (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #438) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 4:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mentor Bar!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11574) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 4:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lion's Den
Bobbe Jans
Pasa Bon Pizza
Plazita Lemena
It Rains Fishes
Patagonia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 7:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always leave wishing we had eaten at Wils' twice - it is definitely our plan to do so this time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By terry grainger (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 7:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In no particular order
Mona Lisa
Capriccios
It Rains Fishes
Unbelievable
Richard's
Bobbie Jans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *joe brannan* (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #661) on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 10:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anybody that's got Bobbejans and Pasa Bon Pizza in the list wins with me....Never tried wil's, Patagonia tres good, I thought Richard's a bit pretentious (but I'm very country), Rains Fishes good all the time, and Lover's Ice Cream if you just NEED to indulge (and you can eat the cone).

enjoy

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #625) on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 1:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just my opinion, but our last meal was at Unbelieveable's---should have eaten at Wil's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo "way too dang busy" MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5770) on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bil - you may have been there the same time I was as I completely agree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kent Gerber (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 7:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to everyone that chimes in. This will be our second trip to Bonaire so we just wanted to try some different places. This really helps. Kent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #179) on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok. Im reeled in. Where is Wil's? Will will try Wils.

Will

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce & Mary Balak (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 9:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dring last trip ate at a place that served Tapas and cannot recall the name....it might have been named Tapas but whatever--does it still exist?

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SCUBAchef (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

La Guernica serves tapas.
I especially recommend the chicken livers in sherry sauce.
Get two orders, you won't want to share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Strange (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 9:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wil's is the best, hands down. Go there twice, it is by far the best fusion cuisine restaurant on the island.
Casablanca is also very good, huge portions, get the mixed grill…it will feed you for two days!
It rains fishes was good, but way too crowded.
Not crazy about Richards, nice atmosphere though.
Blue cactus was good.

City Cafe - best breakfast in town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AVerlaan (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 9:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Best real Italian food at La Barca!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1455) on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 9:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where is La Barca?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AVerlaan (BonaireTalker - Post #41) on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 12:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It opened the last week of December and is located along the boulevard before you enter the busier part of Kralendijk
Picture: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3241293&id=143616623808

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Hall (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #111) on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 8:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

1st Paradise Moon
Then in any order

El Fogon
Mi Banana
Mona Lisa
It rains fishes
Pasa Bon Pisa

Avoid Richards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #413) on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 3:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually Rose, I highly recommend Richard's to Kent and others. My wife and I recently had two wonderful dinners there, with one out at the brand new pier table. Service was nice and slow for our four course meal just the way I like it.

Try Richard's for yourself and enjoy the view and his wonderful hospitality.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beth (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #133) on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 7:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with the above choices, but I would also add Rum Runners to the list. We usually eat there a few times during our stay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth Barna (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My list places I always go to:

For a meal to take back to the condo:
Bobby Jans
Pasa Bon Pizza
El Fogon

Eat out:
Will's
Cactus Blue
Casablanca
Patagonia
Sunset Grill

There are so many good places to eat that is hard to pick favorites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AVerlaan (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 1:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Surprises me nobody recommend Restaurant Sense
We eat there twice and it was fabulous, one day they had live jazz music.
Recommend their Tapas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Hall (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #112) on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 6:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi YucatanPat,

We did eat at Richards because it came so recommended.

We however would not eat there again or recommend anyone else. If you go to a cheap cafe and eat a cheap meal you may put it down to a bad day, but to pay his prices and have the overall experience I wouldnt pay twice.

Where do I start?

Service was very poor. From getting a beer to even being shown a menu was 30 mins (then we waited about 45 for a starter). When food arrived it was nothing special and certainly had better fish (and cheaper) anywhere else. The waitress was literally running around serving food and dropping crockery etc (that certainly didnt add to the ambience!). Took us about 2 hours to have a starter and main. Although I dont want to throw my food down my throat I did think that was slow. We did not stay for desert as didnt rate food or service. Other people were not ordering a desert and leaving. Think they were fed up too.

We did mention about the service but I think Richard was too busy tearing about.

I wouldnt make a comment about avoiding a place without experiencing it first hand.

While you may have had good meals there which I am pleased for you we wont be returning again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward Mizell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #156) on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 9:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cactus Blue (at least twice)
Unbelievable
Wils Tropical Grill
Bobbie Jans
Lions Den

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #414) on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is such a joke to me. Kent asked where to eat, simple question really so why add the negative. So Rose had a bad meal, and feels the need to post the sad story multiple times. Well I have eaten at Richards at least 15 times and never had such an experience. Richards has been operated by "Richard" for over 20 years I am told and is open 6 days a week so about 6,240 evenings to serve dinner over that time. I say again judge for yourself, not by one event from one person. How many places have been open that long on Bonaire? I will add I usually avoid Friday and Saturday nights when large groups eat there just as I do here in NJ. On our last visit a new local woman was preparing the desert's, fantastic!

Kent, hope you are having a great trip and enjoying all the great food that can be found on Bonaire.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth Barna (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #101) on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I had the same experience at Richard's. It was a disappointing Valentines Day meal. That being said, I'm in the restaurant business and understand bad days. Since it comes so highly recommended we are going to give it another try in April.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Hall (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #113) on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Why Pat if you say I have posted the story several times (Yes,it had been mentioned before) that you ask me to try eating there????? Yes there is also a negative remark about another restaurant on this thread.

I had only added I wouldnt eat there. (as apart from myself there had been quite a few negative reports about the place on BT). Its seems in your opinion "its a joke" because I dont share your point of view on Richards. As I said I am glad you had a good time. You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

(Message edited by rosie on January 30, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #415) on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 6:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fair enough - Truce.
Kent - where did you eat?
Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Hall (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #114) on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sense sounds interesting. Did see it last trip but not sure it was fully opened then. Will have to give it a try. We havent tried unbelievable as yet...so thats another one our list this trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AVerlaan (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think that dining experiences also depends on where you are from.
I mentioned many Americans love for example Unbelieveble but Europeans don't like the place

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very true AVerlaan - and not everyone's expectations, likes and dislikes are the same. Here in the US I know many people who consider eating at Red Lobster a real treat and I can't stand the place (have tried several). My husband and I absolutely love Wils Tropical Grill and I'm always surprised to read posts from people who have had a problem there. By the same token, we read so many good things about Bistro de Paris we couldn't wait to eat there. The owner (Patrick, I think?) was very nice, but both our meals left a lot to be desired. I doubt we will try it again - but I know it is a favorite of many people. Thank heavens there are so many wonderful choices on Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AVerlaan (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just curious to you Americans ;) ....
Could it be it also has to do with the amount of food?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2765) on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very true Carol..Food is a very personal and subjective experience.
I've read raving reviews on BT and was way less satisfied with the food at some places when I ate there. So personally I take food reviews on BT with a grain of salt.

I avoid making negative statements about any restaurant on Bonaire, because things change on a weekly basis. In the past I've had the pleasure of dining at some of the finest (read exclusive) places in the US. But I like ALL different types of food.. Hey; I'm also a big fan of White Castle sliders! Come to think of it, maybe Ruth will want to consider another franchise to supplement KFC. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can't speak for my fellow countrymen (we are, after all, the country of the "all you can eat buffet"), but for me quality is always more important than quantity!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2575) on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i almost always give a restaurant at least two visits before i draw conclusions. as elizabeth posted above, any place can have bad days. if i go to a place twice in a row and have a bad experience each time then i won't go back. fortunately, i don't think that's ever happened on bonaire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nancy Klune (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 7:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Pat and Elizabeth. Everyone and every place has bad days. Dishwasher didn't show up, produce wasn't delivered, large unexpected party just seated, etc etc. Unless the wait staff are just over the top rude I always give every place two tries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Honzel (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 9:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mona Lisa
Richards
It Rains Fishes

In that order. I have never been to Unbelievable but may have to try after some of the reviews.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Bernath (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 11:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Definitely Capriccio's! Had our honeymoon dinner there 14 years ago and loved it. Every time we go back to Bonaire we make sure to go there. We've also been there for a few Thanksgiving dinners and the food was unreal!! The owners will remember you every time you return and make you feel like you're visiting old friends.

2 more days and we'll be back, yay!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Coonley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Sunday, April 4, 2010 - 11:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok I'm really torn, I have touted Will's for a while and although the food is wonderful, I'm not sure the cooking can overcome the attitude of Mrs. Will. She could suck the fun out of a clown college.

Food great, hospitality bad, bad, bad, bad. Went there a couple of weeks ago with friends who had never been there before. Had planned to order the tasting menu a couple of nights later but wanted them to sample first. Mrs. Will was rude, short tempered and had the audacity to tell one of the guests who had orderd a mojito that there was no mint, ok, no big deal. They ordered a caipirinha which is rum ( actually Cachaca but rum is many times substituted), lime and sugar, her response, "No, order something simple". The rest of the responses and her attitude went down from there. Don't want this to be a bashing report, just beware, since the hostess can set the tone for an evening, it's something to consider before going. We had a very nice dinner at Unbelievable a few nights later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #666) on Sunday, April 4, 2010 - 12:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike
I guess we can't be at 100% all the time. I had a similar thing happen to me the last time I was on island.
Went to Will's and had a great time and then went to Unbelievable for the send off dinner and had an uninspired diner. The food was great but the delivery felt like we were pulling teeth. It was like they were throwing it from the kitchen.
I guess Mrs Will was not having a good day, but I've be accused of that also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Naylor (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #188) on Sunday, April 4, 2010 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike. Last night at Yachtclub Restaurant. It was quite the reverse to your experience at Will's. Kim was very pleasant, efficient and could not have been more helpful and understanding. I know the feeling about Will's and now avoid it even though I do love their soup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 1:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike,
We ate at Wil's twice this past week because it is our absolute favorite restaurant on Bonaire. "Mrs. Will", known to her friends and loyal patrons as Sue, could not have been more friendly or accommodating to us and the many diners surrounding our table. I know that both mojitos and caipirinhas require muddling and, if the restaurant was busy, this may be the reason your friend was asked to select a simpler drink.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration