BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Restaurant Recommendations
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 1999 -2003: Archives - 1999-05-07 to 2002-08-02: Restaurant Recommendations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Lambert on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am a real “meat and potatoes” kind of guy. I hate seafood. No fish, shrimp, lobster, etc. for me. Where would you recommend to go for good, but not ridiculously priced, steak, chicken, burgers, pizza, etc. for lunch or dinner?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 1:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't like seafood either! My two favorites were the filet mignon at Captain Don's, and also Richards. I think I had both the filet and the NY Strip at Richards. Both were very good. (not at the same sitting, however)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am a resident, who shares your preferences, esp. the part about 'not ridic. priced'. My best filet in a long time was just last week at the Sand Dollar Terrace Restaurant. I recommend calling ahead just to be sure the local supply chain is in order. Also came with a big bowl of family style whipped potatoes and mushroom gravy on the side. While Richard's is a beautiful location-that is what you are paying for-and as a tourist, here for a week or two, I'm sure their menu is sufficient, but as a resident, ho-hum. However, their bar is a great value-best poured portions/price. For example, the same $60 at Sand Dollar and Richards (not including any drinks, but including service charges & tax): SD: 2 full size 10" plate ceasar salads, 2 filets with all the sides, 1 choc cake w/ice cream; at Richards: one small ceasar salad, one filet w/baked potato, one dinner size salad w/fish & shrimps on it. Go figure. If you are going to splurge, the filet or ny strip at Capriccio's (the best Itlalian restaurant in town, and also great for steaks) is the best place to do it-same price as Richard's and most other high-end places, about $20-$23, but it's as guaranteed good as can be (and BTW, i think a great overlooked value is Capriccio's plain +/- 10" thin crust pizza -only $9 and ready for take out in about 10-15 min if you call ahead).

I've also had good rib eye steak, and good hamburgers at ZeeZicht ($5-and they're open all day and have a/c too if you choose). Pirate House is now a Steak House (above ZeeZicht), haven't had the chance to try it yet. Your money will go far if you go for 'bar haps' bar meals, usually around $8-$10, full plates of food served at the bar-many dutch style bars offer them (Blue Moon, Mona Lisa, De Tuin, etc.-watch for the chalk board signs). The Wed. evening (5-7?) all you can eat Taco Bar at Dock of the Bay/Buddy Dive is also a great value (call to check this to be sure). There's also a KFC & Cozzoli's Pizza in the 6 store "mall" in town--they have a seaside terrace & low prices & they're open all day (Cozz for breakfast even)--watch and see where the local residents go to eat out--that's where you'll find your "bargins," (everything here is imported-things tend to get expensive after shipping a few thousand miles) though I hope you're at least willing to translate 'meat & potatoes' into 'goat & funchi'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Captain Papa Nut on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 9:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Beefeaters was recommended to me as a great place to get a great steak for $25 NAF.

Also the pizza at Pasa Bon Pizza near the roundabout is good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 10:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pasa Bon Pizza is well worth visiting, good pizza and calzone at good prices. The burgers at the new SandDollar rest are really good, not bad priced and quite large, no paper thin meat paddy. The BBQ at Buddy's is not bad either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 8:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The steaks at Pirate steakhouse are absolutiely HUGE! The T pone is around 22 dollars and is enough for a very hungry diner and left overs for the doggy bag. I highly reccomend meat lovers to visit. (The also have seafood as well)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Captain Papa Nut on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I got to tell you, I thought the burgers at the Sand Dollar were disgustingly huge and had no flavor and even though we ordered them well done they were raw inside.

The waitress said "yeah most people cut them in half and ask us to cook them sgain"..

anyway!

they are humongous

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cappriccios!

Make a res, take your time and enjoy. Not cheep, but you get what you pay for. Very good wine list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 9:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, where's the Pirate Steakhouse? Sounds perfect for Hugh!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 9:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Upstairs over ZeeZichts. You enter through the restaurant or there is an outside stairway to the right, that's where you will find the beef!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 11:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, thank you.. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 11:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greg -

Despite the name, It Rains Fishes (on the waterfront 2-3 blocks north of downtown) served us a very good filet mignon three days ago (23 Jan).

Good service, good price for the quality of Argentine beef.

Enjoy!

Chas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jani wachter on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we will going to bonaire feb 6,2002. love seafood, what do you recommend for dining out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nina Fowler on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 10:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What is the dress code when dining in Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 1:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check some of these posts for recommendations. Lots of great places. It Rains Fishes has great fish, but so do MANY other places. One of the best ever was the red snapper I had in August at Gibi's Terrace, a small local place a little off the beaten track.

Also check Everything Else for the BTers Feb/March group. There are some dining events scheduled there. We'll be at Gibi's on Feb. 12.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 7:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nina , I would say the dress code in the evening is smart casual. I normally wear a skirt and t-shirt or blouse. Bob, my husband, wears smart shorts and a casual shirt or t-shirt. Some places like guys to wear trousers in the evening. Tuxedos are not required.
Cheers and enjoy!
Julia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By barbara jean engel on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

To the staff of AMADEUS,
Although Kevin and I are home now (home being New Jersey, USA) we wanted to write just to let you know how much we enjoyed our many dining experiences at your restaurant.
Had we known about AMADEUS at the beginning of our stay, we would have dined there every night! We came in the last three nights before we took our journey home. We found the menu diverse and the prices very reasonable.

Kevin and I were fortunate enough to choose your place for dinner. One night, there we stood reading the menu and discussing our choices in front of AMADEUS. We stopped to see the place because we thought it was island chic, wonderfully decorated with quirky little colored fish and statues. Old tin candles lit the porch and gave the restaurant its cozy feeling. Sonya approached us and asked if we would like to stay and have a seat. She had a friendly smile and a sincere way about her. Kevin and I sat down at a table outside where there was a slight breeze and a wonderful view.
Every time we dined we chose the catch of the day. The entrée was always a thick, juicy portion of fresh fish. The chef allowed for the natural flavor of the fish to come though. It was seasoned lightly and seared so well. Their fish soup was divine. It was so full of chunky vegetables and lots of fish meat. The soup also comes with warm, crusty bread slices. We felt so spoiled. The staff and owners are always very attentive .You could tell they take great pride in serving the best. The atmosphere is a quiet assurance that you will always have an enjoyable meal. When it comes to dessert we quickly had our favorites! The cheesecake is a light trip to heaven and the vanilla ice cream with liquor is a refreshing end of the day treat after being in the sun all day. On our last night there, Kevin ordered the vanilla ice cream with warm cherries. Anything you choose cannot be a bad choice. We highly urge you to dine at AMADEUS when you stay in Bonaire. It just felt like we were dining with dear old friends. We miss you already! Thank you for the great service, the wonderful conversation and my ONIMA aloe for my sunburn!
Love and Peace, Sincerely,
Kevin and Barbara

www.mp3.com/innerspace
www.babylonphoto.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lauren Peake on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 1:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am visiting Bonaire for the first time. I will only have 3 full days and 4 nights to take in everything? Big fan of seafood and snorkling and ma staying at the DIVI resort. Any suggestions would be great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robin Bedich on Sunday, March 3, 2002 - 6:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richard's, though a seafood restaurant, had wonderful Land & Sea which was Filet Mignon with shrimp on top (you can take off the shrimp)with Bernaise sauce. They had FM and lots of meat dishes. Also there is a wonderful Italian restaurant called Crissatino (or close to that) that was great. Lion's Den has good food as well as Captain Don's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Monday, March 4, 2002 - 1:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto for going to Richards for dinner! Also sailing on the Woodwind with Renee is a must. She does the best guided snorkels and she sails right out of the Divi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Brown on Saturday, March 9, 2002 - 2:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So Michael,
As the resident writer, and may we assume food critic, where do we go for the most awesome Bonerian experience? Easter is out, cause I have a date with Kontiki at Lac for egg coloring and hunting. Other than that, we're all yours.

Gordy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, March 9, 2002 - 8:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kon Tiki is one of my favorites as well. Stop by (give me a call...I am easy to find...on the way to Kon Tiki) 717-4781 or 790 4781 and I can bend your ear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Saturday, March 9, 2002 - 5:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We, too, love Kon Tike...donkeys and all! Great food and a nice atmosphere..you can dine outside on the patio (and have a "visitor" from time to time) or you can dine inside where it is cooler. Nice people and good food...can't go wrong. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Brown on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael,

I still owe you that JW Blue, don't think I've forgotten....unless you have a preference not readily available on Island.

Gordy

PS-My cell while there will be 791-5234 and besides Easter the only day I'm tied up, so far, is Monday AM, 25 March, for the fun run. I'm still getting contacts regarding Bonaire's wayward youth for Karate lessons, but nothing definitive yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

my cell is 790 4781. I will keep a candle in the window...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen Papin on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 11:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't miss the Tira Misu dessert at Swiss Chalet. They also have very good home style dinners with lots to eat at great prices. 3 1/2 weeks until we are back in Bonaire. Can hardly wait!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

best meal on the island was by far at Swiss Chalet. Great people, great food. I fell in love with the zuni schatzlets (pork tenderloins sliced up and covered with mushroom sauce). Karen has it right.... get the Tiramisu... it has to be one of the best we've ever had... anywhere (and yes, I did try capriccios).

Lisa is allergic to seafood... so here are our rankings:

1. Swiss Chatlet
2. Capriccios
3. Richards
4. Chibi Chibi
5. ZeeZicht
6. Gibbys Terrace
7. It Rains Fishes
8. Rumrunners

#'s 4 and 5 good for lunch
#6 good food at great prices

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Eiskant on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 9:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you want a real dining experience, try the Angel Floating Restaurant, with Captain Felix as your host. Located at the town pier, you board at about 5:30PM. After taking your orders you set sail for about 1 hour. During the trip back, you dine. We had a group of 11 family members. It would also be a great romantic dinner for 2. You bypass the pier and continue on. By the time you are on your return trip, it is dark, and you see the lights of the city. Food and atmosphere are wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 10:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh try Lighthouse..near the former Harbour Village. Lovely setting at the Marina and creative menu..romantic too!!

Here are my favs:

Kon Tiki
Gibys
Hollandes Grill
Capriccios
Donna and Giorgios
Rose Inn
Croccotino
Maikey Snack
De Tuin
Whatta Burger (I kid u not..great cheap fast burger and Frickendel for Mags)

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 6:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sate' Speciaal.

Who has the best sate' on Bonaire. Goat, pork, or beef? Especially with spicy peanut sauce.

My vote: Rendevous and China Nobo

Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol Eddy on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 7:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie,
Don't forget Garden Cafe! In a previous Dining post you said it was great. We haven't yet visited Bonaire, but I am a vegetarian and Garden Cafe sounds like my kind of place! I don't want the owner to move to St. Marteen before I get there.......so please talk it up so people will go there and he'll still be in business in April :).

Carol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lonnie hoover on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 3:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with the above post, that the Sand Dollar Terrace is a good place. Large and tastey portions at a reasonable price, plus a very friendly staff. One of my fav.'s for lunch is Luigi's downtown(across from garden cafe). For a while, Luigi's was closed, but if it has reopened, it is a very good place at an extra reasonable price. You know it is good, because the locals flock there for lunch.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration