BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Wils is the BEST restaurant on the island!!
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Wils is the BEST restaurant on the island!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elizabeth delgiorno (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From the food down to the service,
Wils restaurant was amazing!! Wil and Sue are wonderful people who make you feel at home..We had their legendary smoked marlin which was to die for as well as their grilled mahi mahi...We ate at several restaurants on Bonaire, but none of them came close to Wils....We insisted on going back again before our trip had ended. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding!!
Make sure you go to Wils on your next trip to Bonaire, you absolutely won't be sorry!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill and Donna Goodwin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #354) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Must agree with you...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #727) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My number 1 choice is Mona Lisa, but Wil's is terrific as well. He always comes by to see if everything was prepared well. Nice atmosphere and great food.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (BonaireTalker - Post #99) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I totally agree! Wil's is the first restaurant I go to when I arrive--for that one of a kind Caesar salad and those spicy wings with extra green onions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3206) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wil is serving asparagus risotto with crab tonight..don't say you heard it from me..haaa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ric Spratlin (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wil's is at the top of my list with Mona Lisa coming in a close 2nd. IMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5641) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann...NOT NICE...lol:-) I agree, Wil's is great, and wil and sue are gems:-) Try the raspberry blended margarita next time...it is sooooo delicious on a hot night:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ A3) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #185) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 2:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Elizabeth, nice first post, thanks. Hard call here as Will and Sue were away on vacation the better part of my last visit and we never made it in, so I will agree with Wil's best non-oceanfront and Richard's best oceanfront dining if I can make two categories.

His smoked marlin is fantastic and I remember some dipping type desert my wife got that was crazy good.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3191) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The chocolate chip desert is my favorite..have yet to finish one since others at the table go into the attack mode when it is served.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Osgood (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great place with some creative cooking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T.* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3111) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always go to Wils on our last night in, as a big group. I've never been a big fan, but the rest of my group raves about it! It's OK to me, but the drinks are watered down, the food OK, and since I'm not a chocolate lover, the moulten cake is nothing I desire. But I go to create cohesiveness in the group.

I prefer the ambiance at Eden Beach dining! Very casual and relaxing.... Or Bambu for the eloquence of their presentation and harbor view!

Just another 2 cents worth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elizabeth delgiorno (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, July 2, 2008 - 7:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've never been to Mona Lisa, but would like to try it on my next trip to Bonaire...I did in fact dine at Richards (the Pier Table) again and for the past years as well...the food is always great but I thought the service was lacking this time around. It took 30 mins to get refills on cocktails and have our appetizer plates removed, we had to order inside the restaurant b4 being seated, and the waitess was at our table twice the whole evening...I do understand the pier table is a long walk but I think the next visit we will sit at a table on the dock, they seemed to be better attended to.A good suggestion for Richard would be to not book the pier table only once for the evening, but turn the table several times and have a waitress assigned to the pier alone, that way the table is not being ignored and he doesn't just seat the table once through the evening. Although this time the service did lack, the food was very good..I think service, quality food, and hospitality are all key in making an impact on your dining experience. I just found Wils to have all three of those key items and enjoyed their restaurant immensely!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SCUBAchef (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Monday, July 7, 2008 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here are my impressions from our trip last week, ranked least- to most-recommended:

7) Richard’s – probably our least favorite dinner. Largely due to overall poor service. Not quite sure what it was specifically, but we either felt ignored or treated brusquely.

6) Bistro de Paris – though the food at Richard’s may have been overall more refined, the attentive and sincere service would make me recommend it over Richard’s.

5) Bambu – somehow I went in expecting an Asian-influenced menu, but found a nicely refined continental style instead. The deck setting was nice, and the food well-prepared, but nothing really stands out as particularly memorable.

The remainder of the list I will gladly return to on (many) future trips:

4) Mona Lisa – really good from start to finish. One of the most flavorful dinners in quite a while.

3) La Guernica – far better than the vast majority of tapas-style places. The chicken livers in Madeira alone were worth a return visit.

These next two are really both worthy of the top-ranking:

Capriccio – Though it didn’t have the atmosphere of many other places (too brightly lit), it was one of the best Italian meals I have had in I don’t know how long; everything fresh and flavorful. And the sommelier knew every nuance of the wines and came up with a fine suggestion.

Wil’s – saved as our good-note-to-end-on. Went in with pretty high expectations and was not disappointed. Loved the garden setting. Service was great. Smoked marlin, plump sweet shrimp and that great molten chocolate cake. Who could ask for more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Lieb (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 7:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We make it a point to visit a new restaurant or two on Bonaire, but we always come back to our favorites. You never know when you'll find a diamond in the rough! We missed eating at Wil's last year as they were on Holiday, however, we ate there twice during this stay and felt just like family. It's people like Wil and Sue along with their cheerful staff that keep us coming back to Bonaire year after year.

(Message edited by njnereid on July 12, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mercy Baron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #508) on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know I'm getting in late on this discussion, but not only did I eat at Wil's 3 times on my last 2 wk visit in Dec, but I also featured Wil's in my travel TV pilot that you can see here.....

http://www.timeofyourlifetravelshow.com

It's all about Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elizabeth delgiorno (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 3:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WE MISS SUE AND WIL!!!! WE WILL BE RETURNING TO BONAIRE HOPEFULLY IN DECEMBER!! CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE YOUR SMOKED SWORDFISH!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3408) on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 8:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think it is smoked marlin..It used to be for sale in the supermarket but have not seen it in a while..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elizabeth delgiorno (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 11:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Your right!! Smoked Marlin!!!! the first time I've ever had it was at Wil's and it is unbeleivable!!!! Went back several times for it, and of course for Sue and Wil too lol, they are my favorite people!!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration