BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Groceries
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 1999 -2003: Archives - 1999-05-07 to 2002-08-02: Groceries
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dawn Cornwall on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 5:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm staying at BelMar in two weeks and was wondering about grocery prices and availability. Am I right that BelMar looks awesome?
Dawn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john bressan on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 9:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dawn, you heard right. You can see a picture of the property and the rooms by going to
www.belmar-bonaire.com click on rates and there is a picture of the whole property.

Groceries are available at Cultamar in town. Expect to pay a little more than you do in the states.

Enjoy your trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dawn Cornwall on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 11:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

John - Thanks for the quick info! There are many sharing and friendly people involved with this site.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bonaire for the first time. I'm doing the Sat-Sat thing with a group of 3 other "newish" divers. I can see there are MANY great places to eat, so I'll keep reading on.
Dawn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"It Rains Fishes"(not just seafood)," Mona Lisa", "De Laman""Cappicios" & "Blue Moon" to name a few, gets my vote, for great food. Enjoy!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl A. Roberts on Sunday, August 13, 2000 - 12:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh I would have to vote for Swiss Chalet, Kon Tiki and Mona Lisa as my favorites! We got great food AND service at those 3.

Let's start a poll!

Cheryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, August 13, 2000 - 9:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maiey Snack, Rendezvous

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Sunday, August 13, 2000 - 10:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So many great places to eat, never enough time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Sunday, August 13, 2000 - 9:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Definitely Maikey Snack, Bon Awa, Kon Tiki, It Rains Fishes, and the Old Inn--- and many, many more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kitty Lee on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 6:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My family votes for Den Laman. MMMMMM!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 1:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"Richard's" and "Beefeater", too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Wolfstein, AIA on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 8:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richards has been my favorite for years! And for Chinese, I've always liked China Nobo - not exactly easy to find, but any cab driver will get you there.

You might want to check out the Bonaire Restaurant Association Web Site:

http://www.bonairerestaurants.com/index.html

Bon Apetite!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Wolfstein, AIA on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 9:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've noticed that this branch of the "Groceries" has moved towards favorite "Restaurants". So here's a restaurant tid bit:

About 15 or more years ago, there was a tiny little "disco" restaurant just south of the Divi property. It was owned and operated by a dutch couple, and featured dutch "fast food" too. At night there was a small dance floor, with disco lights and all... the bar had coins glued to it from all over the world - very seventies...

The place has long since closed (maybe ten years now) but does anyone on the island know if the dutch couple have another place on the island?

THAT would bring back memories - I'd love to have another "frikhandle" please!

- Ed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 8:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

FYI, "frikandelles" (I think I spelled that right) are a Dutch "hot dog", grayish in color, quite tasty with a curry ketchup and mayonnaise and are made from horse meat and poultry. Available in all supermarkets, and some restaurants. Also at bars as a happy hour snack :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 8:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't know what they were made of, Oh! (you can stop laughing!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No one here has mentioned bringing some
food down from the outside. Things like
meat-the cuts on Bonaire are different, as I
remember. My daughter lives there and
wanted me to bring down roast beef and lamb
roast, etc. (lobster and sushi fixings also, but
that is another story) I know that for a short
visit roasts aren't necessary (or the roast
turkey for Thanksgiving) but my point is that
you can bring food into Bonaire (or could at
least). Freeze the meat, put it and anything
else in a cooler and bring it along. Mine
survived even in a suitcase w/ a days delay.
The frozen meat was still frozen. Michael G.
might even want real NY bagels!!! And lox??
Red onion?? Capers??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 9:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always bring a cooler full of frozen things,cold cuts, NY steaks and homemade pasta sauce, chops and homemade entrees, I make here and freeze half. The food stays frozen untill we get to Divi where I put it in our freezer there. I pack it tight,NO DRY ICE, the airlines won't let it, then we tape it up with duct tape and lable it and send it with our the rest of our bags and check them thru, "Knock on wood" they always have arrived with us, and the cooler comes in handy for the beach and wet clothes on the way home. The resturants are reasonable and wonderful on Bonaire, but sometimes in 3 wks we like to stay"at home" We bar-B-que too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 8:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

FYI All cuts of meat, roasts, chops, etc (as well as some of the best NY strip steaks are availabe here (I roasted a 12 pound turkey yesterday). You have to buy in bulk,however. 12 or 13 one inch sirloins run abut nafl 100 ($60)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Michael. We have always done well with roasts and steaks, especially the Argentine beef fron Consales...yes the cuts are a bit different sometimes, but Argentine flank steak for the grill is something I try to find even here in the States! We do bring some large vacumm-packed packages of cold cuts with us for sandwiches, though...just a personal preference.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration