BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Best non seafood restaurants
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 2003 -2006: Archives - 2006-03-01 to 2006-08-01: Best non seafood restaurants
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #102) on Tuesday, March 7, 2006 - 6:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So I'm not big in to eating the little guys we swim with. I've been reading post after post about all the different places to eat. I'm wondering which places have the best food that isn't seafood. It sounded like capriccio and the pizza places are italian. I am a big mexican/italian lover of food. American and Asian foods are good too. What are your suggestions for these place, locations, and prices would you say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2166) on Tuesday, March 7, 2006 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Shawn!

If you like meat...try Casablanca's mixed grill. Order it early in your trip and you will have lots of left overs. It will be Argentinian style, but you should enjoy it. Not sure on the prices. Hopefully someone who has been there recently can chime in with that.

You might also want to check out the dining section of www.infobonaire.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17251) on Tuesday, March 7, 2006 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shawn, 6 words - Swish Chalet and Pasa Bon Pizza. Oh, and Bobby Jan's...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2167) on Tuesday, March 7, 2006 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cyn...that was 10 words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17252) on Tuesday, March 7, 2006 - 8:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeannie, I know...I thought of Bobby Jan's after I counted my 6...lol! I am batting 0-3 today! LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2664) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 9:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are other things to eat at Casblanca, and they are quite good too. But the mixed grill is hard to beat, esp as you eat it for DAYS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #258) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Cyn, I can't resist... Does the "Swish" Chalet cater to a certain clientele? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3144) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 6:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Becky, yes the Swiss Chalet does cater to an elite crowd. They require all of their patrons to.... pay for their meals. LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #259) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 6:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom... LOL, I can relate to that kind of business, even though sometimes my patrons are surprized that they have to pay - Grrr!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17276) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Becky..lol! Swish swish...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #562) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 8:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had a rather negative experience at Cappriccio's the last time we were there, but had a fantastic 2 dinners at Croccinatino's if you like Italian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #113) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe I will try them both and can report back in june ;) I love my italian food

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3041) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 10:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Bacon Bleus burger at Lions Den is super! Also, has a good regular menu as well. Or the Lost Penquin, but get there early as it closes at 6:00. Really good breakfasts and lunches or early dinner place. I second Bobby Jans and Pasa Bon Pizza. Also, try the mixed grill at The Garden Cafe. Nice change of pace from all the other places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #168) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 10:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shawn, our friends say that Richards has the best filet mignon on the Island. Also, try City Cafe for an excellent burger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #432) on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 4:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Casablanca's mixed grill is great and the ribs and burgers at the Rib Factory are also very good. The Rib Factory is open air and looks out over the water. Haven't been to Casablanca since they moved into the new building but I imagine it is nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Seibold (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 9:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bar none - some of the best Italian food I've had in the world I've had at Capriccio's. My wife swears by the pumpkin ravoli.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #437) on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 11:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Capriccio's wins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sander Nolen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have to add the Wattaburger for a quick, juicy & fast snack!

Its the one and only dutch oriented "snackbar"
With dutch mayaonaise, dutch french fries, "kroketten", "frikandellen" "kaassoufle's" "kipcorn" hmmmm..
....ooowwwww man now I am hungry again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17305) on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 4:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sander, I love the Whattaburger. I am so glad they reopened it! That and KFC are 2 great places to get a bite to eat mid/late afternoon between dives when everything else is closed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sander Nolen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Grasshopper,

As a matter of fact I just went there! (hehehe)

They reopened about 2 months ago (i think its part of Cities now but I am not sure) and it RULES!!(its a little taste of Home..:-) )
Closed on mondays though.
Sander

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17308) on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sander...rub it in will ya! LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kent Gerber (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #134) on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Capriccios. I had the pumkin raviola and my wife had pizza. She said it gave pazza bon a run for the money. Pizza at both places are great. We wanted to try the pizza at Rum Runners but never made it there. Hopefully next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John"Smack"Anderson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1162) on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 7:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shawn,
I'm a mexican food lover as well. Head for Rib Factory for fajitas, or a chicken burrito. Both really satisfy the craving.

Then go back for the ribs.:-)

(Message edited by smack on March 9, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Wayne Williams (The Great Escape) (BonaireTalker - Post #97) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have to admit that I have been watching this thread for mercenary reasons. Being beaten out by Swiss Chalet, Casablanca, Pasa Bon, Capriccios, and the like didn't bother me much, but *Wattaburger*!? Best non-seafood restaurant?! It must be a Dutch-only kind of thing ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2131) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wattaburger just reopened and man, it's on the top of my list too..the best burger and fries with peanut sauce. I allow myself one visit a month..and now, they have some amazing Dutch soft serve with fruit added...

Kevin, it's not a Dutch thing..I am Irish ..haa......have u tried it, huh? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17341) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shawn, you MUST go to GREAT ESCAPE for GREAT Cuban food!

There, ya feel better Kevin? LOL!

Whattaburger, like I said, only during late afternoon when nothing else is open for a quick bite between dives. I would NEVER put it above all of the other "restaurants" in this thread (including Great Escape):-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karin van Veen (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1774) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 6:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last year we ate a superb italian meal at Vespucci, next to the marina, very nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sander Nolen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 6:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

@ Kevin,

No harm meant...:-)
but I have to disagree with Anne: it IS a dutch thing.Or do you love mayonaise too? :-)

Never have been to the great escape though, for dinner. Did go to the happy hour a few times for a nice 1 naf beer!

What do you serve Kevin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Wayne Williams (The Great Escape) (BonaireTalker - Post #98) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 7:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sander:
http://www.bonairegreatescape.com/menu1.html
lists our food. We don't do one guilder beer anymore, though. Too many people that we only saw once a week while they drank 10 beers in an hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17345) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 7:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sander, I love mayo on my burger...the mayo on the fries is definitely a Dutch thing...LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3154) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Kelly where are you? According to Grasshopper, you and I are Dutch;-{)}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2193) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey....I must be Dutch too! But I thought I was from Chicago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2132) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wattaburger is a place Maggie and I go for a quick bite after a day of sailing..not a dinner spot by any means..nope, don't do the mayo but Maggie does..haaa...

If I were to list my places, man..I could not..Bonaire has to me, a plethora of amazing places..what luck living in food paradise..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3855) on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, I'm here... lol....

Ann I am so jealous of you for so many reasons..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Coash (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 2:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

cassablanca!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #287) on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

if memory serves me, the mixed grill for 2 was $37. It was a great bargain, as we had plenty for lunch and/or dinner the next day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick T. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #861) on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 4:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If my memory serve me right the mixed grill is for one HUNGRY person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beverly Fillio (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #187) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Capriccio's is the best Italian restaurant on any island. They serve perfectly done vegetables All of the meals there are beautifully presented and prepared to a fine level of excellence. You get more than your money's worth at that delightful place.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration