BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Poor quality of fresh fish?
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 2003 -2006: Archives - 2005-07-28 to 2005-12-14: Poor quality of fresh fish?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #226) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 5:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just wanted to pose a question to visitors and residents to see if anyone has any thoughts.

During our visit from 28August to 6September, I found the quality of most of the fresh fish dishes I had to be of a bit lower quality than other times on the island. Granted, we skipped a few our favorites and standard bearers for great fish dishes (particularly Mona Lisa), but I did not once have anything resembling great fish and sometimes had dishes that were either really dry or just slightly off tasting. Does anyone on island (or not) have any thoughts on this? Was there a scarcity of fresh fish that week in anticipation of the fishing tournament and restaurants were pulling out older, frozen stuff, or were we simply experiencing the losing end of restaurant "good dish" odds? Nothing was terrible, but there did seem to be a trend towards mediocre product. Don't want to slam any places in particular, so I've not mentioned that here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Captain Tribble (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #973) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Scott! I hope you receive some informative responses to your post. When I was just there, Aug 6-13, we encountered two places that "ran out of fish." We were surprised by this and maybe it was part of the same phenomenon that you experienced. Any one out there know what is going on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1058) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 8:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were in Bonaire during that time period and we were told that 'there aren't a lot of fish this week'. So we didn't order fish.

Mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Captain Tribble (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #974) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mare, we did the same thing and just ordered something else. Kind of a mixed blessing because in one case I had my heart set on fish pizza, but ended up with the BEST sausage pizza I have ever had. Cheers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2169) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 12:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sunday the 4th was the 14th Annual Bonaire fishing contest for the local fishermen. Most of the market fishermen were likely involved. Preparations and all that goes with the contest may have cut down on that week's market fishing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tami Lamb (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 10:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know how true this is but once at a restaurant we asked about the fresh fish and were told that everything you get in a restaurant is going to be frozen and flown in. From what I have seen it could very well be true unless you find a place that really tries to get to the fish market. (IS there a fish market or is everything in the supermarket? And is that frozen?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #229) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 10:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I recall a time when the Green Parrot restaurant was still open at Sand Dollar and we watched them bring in a huge wahoo that was still kicking. This was definitely not frozen. We said "we want some of that" and were rewarded with an outstanding meal. I suspect that while some of the fish may be imported, there are restaurants serving fresh fish. Hopefully some Bonaire-resident BTers will chime in with their knowledge. I'm pretty sure that just like restaurants in the US, this varies from restaurant to restaurant, menu item to menu item, and day to day. Obviously, your only chance for getting fresh fish on Bonaire would critters that can be caught locally, like wahoo, snapper, grouper, barracuda, reef runner and tuna.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2102) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was on Bonaire from August 19th to Sept. 3rd and I remember a sign outside at Will's Tropical Grill advertising "Fresh Mahi Mahi" and I know hubby had some great fresh fish at Lions Den while we were there. It was a wahoo special BTW.
Also had some great snapper dinner at Chibi Chibi's. It was actually one of the best meals we had. Maybe it's since the new owners took it over, we found the service, food much better than in the past. Oh, and also I almost forgot, Lucille's has a great shrimp dish, I know, not caught locally, but it was delish, tender and worth every penny. They are located at the old location of Casablanca and they even have an air conditioned room for a more private dining experience for those who want to. I really have to get around to redoing my trip report as my first one got deleted by mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floris (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most restaurants on Bonaire will always try to serve fresh fish. There is not really a fish market but you can pass by most of the fishermen homes. They call the restaurants when the get back from their fishing trip to lett them know what they caught and they bring that over. Thats why most places have catch of the DAY on the menu since you never know what they catch and sometimes the variety is very limited. Of course for different reasons sometimes the catch is low (big holi(party)days,tournament or just bad weeks). For this reason some restaurant will have to freeze some fish as a back up or order the vacuum packed fillet with there wholesaler.
All in all your best changes on getting fresh fish every day will probably be in the bigger (busy) restaurants simply because they have a bigger turn over and can buy fresh everyday. Or catch it yourself on a ((1/2) day fishing trip and ask your favorite chef to prepare it for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mrs. Limpet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #992) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 4:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie, Chibi Chibi, are you talking about the new General Manager of the resort, or is Chibi Chibi owned privately? Just curious! In the Bonaire Reporter about a month ago, they highlighted the new General Manager of the Divi, and changes that he was going to make...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gross (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know Richard's Restaurant the best, and he buys fresh fish daily, and I'm sure others do as well. Actually there are several fish markets, including Dui's (various spellings) next door to Richards, where you, too, can buy fish. Shrimp and conch are not local or fresh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #119) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 8:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

During Aug and into Sept the fishing was slow. In part due to prep for the fishing contest and just not a lot of fish being caught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2106) on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 11:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am not sure if the restaurant is privately owned now that you mentioned it, just thought that the resort owned it too. Something to look into, I guess. All I know is that since the new General Manager took over, things at the restaurant certainly have improved. Not sure if he has anything to do with it or not, may be coinsedence, but we were very pleased dining there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1935) on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 8:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Flamingo owns Chibi Chibi...Also, when it is very windy, the fisherman generally do not venture out too far thus less fish..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mrs. Limpet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #993) on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 10:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Michael! That's what I thought. Good to know that service has improved...we've always found the food good, but often the service more than island time slow (we are the only one's there and it takes an hour to get an appetizer and drink):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1187) on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 2:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Floris

We are really looking forward to your excellent dishes next week. I must say that Rum Runners really rocks now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BEVERLY A FILLIO (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #118) on Saturday, October 1, 2005 - 12:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We too were at the Green Parrot when a large fish was carried thru to the kitchen and our waiter came back and said "" we now have fresh wahoo also"" doesn't get much fresher than that. At the Fruit of the Sea a forerunner to it rains fishes they had some of the best fish I have ever had in my travels anywhere. Can't
even imagine not having my usual 75 % fish meals while there in Feb.

By the way how is the new restaurant in front of Cappricio's doing How is the food there??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john lyons (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, October 6, 2005 - 11:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Assuming there's supply What are the top 5 best (fresh) fish restaurants on Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadine Rubin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #113) on Friday, October 7, 2005 - 3:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think there are more than 5 and it would be a tough call!

We are in Bonaire about 10 weeks a year, some of that time is when the island is very slow with tourists. We own a condo, so we cook a lot (mostly grill - fish). So we have local fishermen who we deal with. We are told by them (and several restaurant owners) that when the island is slow, the restaurants don't want to be stuck with a huge fish, therefore the fishermen don't go out - they don't want to be stuck with the big fish either. So it is a vicious circle. One time several of us got together with a restaurant owner who was looking for Tuna. We guaranteed to buy whatever the restaurant didn't sell that night. Within two days the fisherman caught a huge tuna! So, you see, it is supply and demand. I credit the restaurants who won't freeze their fish and rather say they are out. It also makes you try something else!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Penksa (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 1:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can only add this. I have deep sea fished on Bonaire twice, and for the only time in my life no one on the boat received so much as a bite, both times, eight hours of fishing each time. Different seasons. Once December, another July. I too believe their gourmet type fish is brought in (Halibut, Swordfish, Tuna, Snapper,Wahoo, hell the grouper are mostly small when seen diving!) That being said, I love the dining on Bonaire, frozen or not!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #428) on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The tuna, snapper, wahoo & dorado served in restaurants are all caught locally--wahoo is the most common 'catch of the day.' Local grouper is available occasionally. Snapper & Grouper are harder to come by, and therefore cost more (prices for fish are regulated by the government-there is a minimum charge/kg to protect the fishermen). In most cases, you have to put in a request for tuna (so the fishermen saves it for you & doesn't cut it up for bait), as it is not a popular fish with the local market. Marlin is caught here--someone like Wil, at Wil's Tropical Grill will take that & smoke it in his smoker (yum).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Brewer (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fresh Tuna being cut up for bait ... that just ain't right. Outside of Mahi Mahi, Tuna & Sword are my favorite eatin fish.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration