BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Dining: Fresh food market?
Bonaire Talk: Dining: Archives: Archives 1999 -2003: Archives - 1999-05-07 to 2002-08-02: Fresh food market?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julie on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 7:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is there a market for buying fruits, veggies, etc. An open air market like a "farmer's" market? Not a supermarket type? Like the one in Curacao?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 7:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes..It is located on the waterfront, just North of the Customs building and across the street from Hotel Rochaline. They generally have the best selection on Tuesday and Wed. As for other palces, La Portugesa (sp?) is located on the road to lac bay. It can be reached by following Niko Boko South. Same veggies but more selection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 9:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And, you always get a much better price if you use guilders. Somehow, when they calculate into dollars, the cost seems to at least double.... I'm sure it's just easier to round up, or something, but I always feel its a much better deal using guilders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Rein on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 9:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know if Cultimara sells boxes of milk?
Not powdered milk but real milk in boxes that don't need refrigeration (ultra high temp pasteurization). Don't want to have to bring them down with me if not necessary and my 15 yr old goes through alot of milk. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Huff on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 10:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeffrey,
Yes, Cultimara does sell boxed milk...we were in Bonaire the first 2 weeks in July and desperately searched for "fresh" milk...to no avail, we tried the boxed milk and were pleasantly surprised how good it tasted...you won't need to carry with you...have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 8:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fresh milk is also available at all of the larger markets MOST of the time. You can buy the longlife stuff by the six pak or case at warehouse Bonaire for aroand $1 per liter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 8:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have noticed fresh milk walking past the house in Lagoen Hill in the early hours of the morning, but is a little hard to catch.. (baaaaaaad joke)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 9:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Doesn't 'moo', either!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, don't milk it. You and Kelly are udderly ridiculous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Rein on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thank you, my baggage will now weigh much less

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Because "real" fresh milk is not always available, when you see it, buy all you need/can get in the fridge. Tomorrow it may be gone until next week...

I still have that bias for the stuff that must be refrigerated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 7:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Baa, Michael.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I've got glens goat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great laughs! I haven't heard anything this punny since the "aphrodisiacs of Bonaire" discussion many moons ago smile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 1:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ewe, guys! .....Wanna 'kid' around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 8:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am cowed! Pun: Lowest form of wit or humour. Oh, what depths we sink to in our quest to exploit the written word!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 8:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barnyard humor will NOT be tolerated on this discussion panel so STOP horsing around (replying somewhat sheepishly).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 8:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

On a more serious equine note, have any of you eaten those dark Dutch sausages called Frikandels? They are commonly served at happy hour at Karel's and other places, and a popular kid's food at local restaurants too. Especially tasty with with mayo and curry sauce or curry ketchup on a roll, perhaps even with some glazed onions!

Well, Frikandels are made with poultry by-product, and relatives of Mr. Ed. Yep. That's right. Horse meat.

We eat them at home at least once every few weeks. Yum!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 8:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any Frikandels made on Bonaire?? Haven't seen too many horses but lots of close cousins....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

None that I'm aware of, Glen. I once asked Marina, the Donkey Lady, about donkey meat products and she indicated that that had been tried once, but the flavor was pretty foul because of the type of things the donkeys eat. Of course, goats eat pretty much the same stuff and taste good... Could be a ploy :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 6:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of made on Bonaire, does anyone produce a goat milk cheese commercially on the island...or has it been there all along and we have just missed it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Must be a self-protection ploy by the donkeys!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 1:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob....if you ask the locals, the goat milk is for the kids, not people. I'm sure someone makes it, but I don't think for public consumption.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 8:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is sold by LVV, the local agriculture project, but no commerical cheese prodcuction to date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 12:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael: The pun is the lowest form of humour.....unless you think of it first. So at the risk of being a 'nag' and a 'neigh-sayer',no Frikandels for this little filly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

whoa there! the do taste good, however. I really think this horsing around has to stop though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is definitly time to rein your humor Michael.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 9:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've milked this long enough, and it's time to get off our high horses, put our tails between our legs,
and go diving....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 10:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Neigh I say, Neigh!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 10:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i'm not sure how much more of this i can bear...

better knock off the monkey business before the moderators go ape sh--

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 10:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

the straw that broke the camel's back?

:(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 10:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Butt maaaah, butt maaah.....it's fun that's the mane thing....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 8:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Enough of this bull! It raises the hare on the back of my neck. BTW, had a long disucssion re frinaknel with some Dutch folks last night. There is a lot of other stuff in there as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 12:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah. Like chicken lips and frog hair, eye of newt and dragon toenails. Get out the cauldrons!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By linda inzer on Thursday, August 2, 2001 - 8:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone give me names of good places to eat while in Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Thursday, August 2, 2001 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

linda, all the places we ate while on bonaire were good. we really loved, it rains fishes, but never a had a bad meal on the island. we tried many of the eating establishments and they all were good.

p.s. even a peanut butter sandwich in our room with a beer or glass of wine, was delicious while on paradise. i know, i am totally hooked on bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Thursday, August 2, 2001 - 12:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check out http://bonairenet.com/diningguide/ or if you want a copy via post, e mail me your address, gmichael@bonairelive.com It rains fishes, Richards are not in this edition, but they are both excellent choices as are the new places, Donna & Geogios, Pas Bona Pizza, the New Indonesian Place, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julie on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 9:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I started this thread. I'm a horse person so WHOA!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, August 4, 2001 - 8:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, the mane thing is to have fun. I would not say neigh to continuing it, but a bit less horsing around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, August 4, 2001 - 11:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

see horse ? what seshorse ? I thought that was a donkey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Sunday, August 5, 2001 - 9:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This play on beasts is getting to be a burden.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Now that is the straw than broke the camal's back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 11:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dog gone it..lets get this over with...and go diving !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Northern Exposure on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 2:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm afraid you'll all have to be put out to pasture now. Something fishy has been going on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 8:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, I guess it is time for us to be moooving along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 1:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

UNCLE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

...monkey see...monkey do...

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 2:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's not that I want to be a copy-cat, but it's been a coon's-age since I've quilled a note. Butt, since I don't seem to have any horse-sense, I decided to snake my way into this dog-eared discussion and join the punny herd. Only 201 days (that's 28.714 in dog-days) 'til I get to make like a frog-man again in Bonaire. OK, time for a cat-nap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Geez, Chet, now I think I've 'herd' everything! :) :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 11:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wish I could think of something really witty to add...gonna end up thinking about it all night...how pathetic !it's gonna drive me batty.........

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration