BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Shelter Gift Shop Needs Some Help
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Bonaire Animal Shelter: Shelter Gift Shop Needs Some Help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #161) on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 3:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi BT'ers, I have started this new thread because I received a post from a BT'er wanting to know if we needed anything since she was visiting next month. The thread didn't show up as new and all the old requests are quite dated....soooo...I thought I'd start a new one. Here's my post in response to her offer of help:

Hi Sue, thanks for the message. Yes, we really are in need of some things. With the economic downturn and the baggage charges, we are quite low on supplies for our shelter gift shop. I'll list the things we need. We don't expect you or anyone else to bring all of it, but I thought I'd put it all out there and whatever anyone can bring would be appreciated.

We really need:

Cat collars (the safety kind)
Dog collars (all sizes)
Kong toys
Leashes
Toys for large and medium size dogs
Kitty teasers ("fishing poles" with dangling toys)

Flavor Doh for Dogs, Flavor Doh for Cats (this is soft flavored stuff that you can put pills in to get the animals to take them)

If there are any vets out there that will be down here soon we are always in need of Drontal for dogs and for cats; and Itraconazole or Griseofluvin.

If you can't bring anything, we can certainly always use cash donations. We are six months into our major sterilization program "Bonny the Superdog" www.bonnysuperdog.com We have sterilized over 300 animals already...our goal was 365 for a year so we are way ahead of what we anticipated. We are providing this service for free to those who cannot afford it, however we do have to pay the vets to do it. Any donation to this project would be immensely appreciated as the numbers are growing for requests for sterilizations and it is extremely important that we try to control the growing number of unwanted dogs and feral dogs on our island.

Thank you all for your support in the past....and hopefully in the future. We can't do what we do without you all.

Jane Madden

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KIV ~ Kobi in Virginia (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12903) on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the updated list of needs, Jane!
I am going to start shopping NOW in hopes to have a package to you before Christmas.

Not sure I can hand deliver but the items will get there regardless :-)

Hope you're doing well and BLESS YOU for everything you and your staff do for the animals of Bonaire!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beck-ee, stayin home now for a long time (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2376) on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 8:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jane - way to go on the sterilization project! That's awesome! Do you need vets or are the local vets able to handle it? Do you need veterinary supplies (suture, gloves, etc?) for the project?

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beck-ee, stayin home now for a long time (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2377) on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 8:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

(Message edited by morgans4me on October 31, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #163) on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Becky! Since we are doing this as an ongoing project rather than a short term one, our local vets are doing the sterilizations. They are swamped but handling the situation terrifically. If they are in need of supplies I will certainly put the word out. Thanks for your offer of help, other than the meds we need at the shelter can't think of much else...except that you should get down here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beck-ee, stayin home now for a long time (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2378) on Sunday, November 1, 2009 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I so wish I could come right down, Jane! Sadly... I don't know when that will be :-(

Keep up the good work with the sterilization project... it will make a huge difference!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Steiner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #211) on Friday, November 6, 2009 - 7:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jane - kudos to you, Marlis, and everyone involved with the sterilization project!! You're providing the island with a wonderful service. I'll make a contribution when I'm on the island in a few weeks. I took your list and bought a few of everything - doesn't seem like much - will buy more after I pack and see if i have any room left in my suitcase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #166) on Friday, November 6, 2009 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sue,
Thank you for your continued support. We always are grateful that we have people like you who support our work year after year. See you soon.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration