BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Animal Shelter Visits
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Animal Shelter Visits
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #281) on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As Susan and I have on past trips, we found some time to visit the furry critters in need of a new home. Again the shelter staff and volunteers were glad to see us and we very much enjoyed spending time socializing with the kittens and cats. The shelter store looks fantastic and is full of toys for all type and size pets. Here are a few pictures from our visits:

Kitten
Puppies
Store
Store
Cat area
Kittens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #282) on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will try pics again with help....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #283) on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, here's my next try.....

store

store

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #284) on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is one of the cutest kittens at the shelter, if it hasn't been adopted yet it's a shame!

kitten

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #285) on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is the cat area, one of these is not like the others...

cat area

Here are the puppies...

puppies

Images posted with a little help from Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #297) on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the pics. It's nice to see the shelter again. What a great shelter they are running there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1372) on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the pics, Pat!!! I'm looking forward to my visits in Jan/Feb to pet the kitties.

Some of you may remember that a couple of years ago, I adopted a tiny boy and girl that I fell in love with there --- and Sunshine and his litter-mate Moonbeam give us CONSTANT joy! They are SO bonded and close to each other --- it's lovely to watch them. I am so grateful to the good folks at the Shelter who made this adoption possible!

See you guys all in about six weeks.
Love,
Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7985) on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, thank you for posting the pics. The gift shop looks great:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7989) on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, do you know if they are in need of anything special now days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #286) on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cynde, the gift shop really is sharp, and has lots of cool stuff. They were still short of a few HOT sellers when we left on 12/7......HEY JANE - YOU OUT THERE....is she does not respond I will send her this link tomorrow.

So when you going back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7992) on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, I know Jane well, I'll shoot her an email:-)

Going back...sometime in 2009? I hope?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #287) on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jane's a sweat person, ask her to post the needs list so we all can see what they currently need.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3498) on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 9:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think she is sweet as well! Working so hard for the shelter does indeed build up a sweat! Pat as for your adopted cat, she seems to have adopted everyone here as well. She walked into my office this AM with a "feed me" look on her face. Peggy was here to take charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8034) on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 10:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, did you adopt a cat for the store???? If you did, thank you:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #288) on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, yes sweet, my typing/spelling is poor. Favor - could you ask Peggy to send me a PM on this as I do not have her email.

That is fantastic news about little Ms. Wilhelmina, as I have been having a tough time not knowing, the little stinker, and I will tell Susan as soon as I stop writing this.

Tink - its a long - but now with a happy ending story, but the good news is that SD/BDA again have a wonderful fun-loving cat with a great group of caring people looking out for her. Christmas just came early for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KIV ~ Kobi In Virginia (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9738) on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 9:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jane, if you're reading this......there are some goodies on the way to you. Stainless steel bowls, collars, leashes, four big kitty litter scoops :-) Also toys for sale or for the residents. I will PM you with more details. Have to pray the USPS will do as I asked and what I paid for :-) Thanks for your loving and gentle care of the animals!!!!

Michael, hugs!!!

Pat, thank you for sharing the pictures. I can't wait to get back there and see the critters and the store again! Is it May yet??!?! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #153) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all for all the support both personally (I am sweet and sweat!!) and for the shelter....we can't do what we do without your support. I had posted this list in another thread but think that it might have been a little too buried in the other shelter threads, so here it is again. We are sold out of the following stuff and every time we get some it flies out the door:

Dog Leashes (at least 1" wide, 4 ft. and/or 6 ft long)
Harnesses for medium/large dogs (30-60 lbs.)
Collars for large dogs
Cat collars (cat safe kind with either a small elastic stretch piece or all elastic)
Toys for large dogs
Kong dog toys
Nyla-bones
Dog brushes
Cat brushes
Litter box scoopers (the large size)
Cat sacks or small cat tubes

With the fees the airlines are now charging for baggage we are concerned that we may not be able to continue to stock our successful pet shop which is really helping raise money for our residents. To all those of you who continue to bring us things despite the baggage fees...A HUGE THANK YOU...we really can't do it without you!
Pat, great photos....the "other" is now happily residing with some new puppies that are more her size....just can't figure out how to get her to stop meowing!!
Michael, Tink, Kobi and everyone...Thank you for your generous words and your generosity to the shelter.
Hope you and all the BT'ers who so generously support us have a wonderful Christmas and a happy and peaceful New Year!
Jane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5588) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

cat is she still at the shelter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5589) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

trying again... cat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5590) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

yikes...cat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5591) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

cat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5592) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry..is she still at the shelter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #298) on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is that Fiona the cat? I always wonder what happened to her. She really caught my attention when I was there in May 2008.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #154) on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is Charley, and yes,she still is with us. Would you like to take her home, Meryl?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5593) on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 3:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes please...can you send her?!!! Carole? I know your on island...want to bring back something fluffy? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5594) on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 3:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do you guys remember me and my friend Liz that came by with all the goodies for the shelter in September? My friend Liz bought a license plate (it was her birthday) and a shelter tee? We talked to you about the bird at Buddy's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #155) on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 8:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Meryl, I DO remember you...we were looking for a good number for the plate right? Would be great if we could send Charley home to you with someone that is going your way. She has been with us for quite some time and is really a very wonderful, sweet, affectionate cat...about a year old. She is a favorite of all the volunteers and staff. Don't you need a vacation???Come on down and get her!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5596) on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 8:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

yep...that was us..
Gosh...I don't think we can get there for a bit...but was looking at our pictures...
Should have taken her when we were there.
Anyone coming this way? We'll pay for her transport!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5597) on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 9:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

and yes Jane we DO need a vacation...we just can't take one yet...poo!
At least I know she is okidokie, but I am serious about the offer and willing to drive to a tri-state area to pick her up if someone wants to bring back to the states (plus pay all the costs of transportation) Lear jets excluded! :-)
What became of the fluffy white cat that was clinging to the other couple that same day? I hope they took him. It seemed like a great match!
Well...whatever will be will be. Thanks again for all you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5598) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The above post means "I" would pay for the costs of her transportation,shots, travel case etc. Plus drive and pick her up. NY, NJ, PA, DE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #156) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Would be great if someone can get her to you. We've got that weekly flight to Newark so maybe someone is going back that way in the near future that would be willing to put Charley under their seat. The fluffy white cat (Gizmo)didn't go home that day, but a wonderful young man who loves cats convinced his mom that Gizmo should be his and he is now being cuddled every day in his new home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5599) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow thats great about Gizmo. What would be the cost of the carrier, shelter fee and transportation to the states? Do you know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5600) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Airlines is 150 one way. What is cost of carrier and shots an papers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #157) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Adoption fee is 75 Naf (about $43 USD), that includes her regular shots. She will also need a rabies shot and health certificate from a local vet, I'm not sure about the cost of that I can check tomorrow with the vet, I don't think it will be more than $30 USD. We have a very nice airline approved soft-sided cat carrier for sale in the gift shop at the shelter, not sure of the price I can check that tomorrow too. Is airline fee really that high for a carry on pet? I thought it was only about 50 or 75 US one way if they ride under your seat. It's been a long, long time since I checked so it may have gone up that much. I'll get the info for you tomorrow and post, unless Monique is lurking out there and can give us the answers now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5601) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 5:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks..yes that is what is on Delta's site. But I would appreciate it if you can give me the other #'s.
If anyone is willing to bring her to the states I have to call the airline to make sure an animal is allowed to board. Some airlines only have one animal per flight.
So sounds "iffy" but if all the stars and planets align...it could happen :-)
Would the shelter take her to the vet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #158) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stars and planets have been beautiful lately...so maybe it will happen! Check with Continental about flight to Newark...anybody out there going to Newark soon? About the vet, you've got mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1374) on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We'll be coming back from BON through JFK, but not until almost end of Feb. If there's still the need, I'm sure we could handle it for you.
Josie

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration