BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Toys needed for local daycare
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Toys needed for local daycare
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 10:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Daycare Bon Kwido needs for new afterschool program(4-7yrs old) toys like:
-picture and reading books
-LEGO/wooden blocks/construction toys
-cars/vehicles(big&small)
-wooden and normal jigsaw-puzzel
-family games like domino, memory etc.
-etc.

2nd hand is fine, as long as it is in good state!

If you have some fabric to make curtains and pillows, that would be great too!

Thank you

Name: Kresh Bon Kwido
Adres: Kaya M.C. Hellmund Boom #1
Telefoon: 717-8911/ fax.717-8935

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1070) on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"If you have some fabric to make curtains and pillows, that would be great too!"

Does this mean you would accept fabric and you would make the pillows/blankets? I have lots of fabric to send but I am by no means a person to sew. I would gladly send the fabric if you could use it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just the fabric would be perfect! We have a few daycare-leader's that can sew them!

Its it something nice and colorful for children?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1071) on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 8:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have fleece and flannel and some other stuff, all with childrens patterns, maybe a few yards of each. Someone gave it to me when the store they owned went out of business and have been looking for someone to put it to good use, it looks like I found them! I will send it via mail, it won't be very heavy, How should I address the package? I will be travelling to Bonaire in April but I would like to get it to you sooner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 9:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's ok if you bring it, when you come to Bonaire! It saves saves you some costs.

We're starting the daycare temporarily in a other class in may. And we want the new class to be finished beginning of August.
So that leaves us enough time to make curtains and pillows for the kids!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #515) on Tuesday, February 6, 2007 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How much fabric do you need? I'll be there in 12 days, am a sewer and have lots of fabric I could spare. (my husband would be thrilled to see me get rid of some...you know how guys can wander around tool stores for hours - put me in a fabric store & I'm in heaven.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Tuesday, February 6, 2007 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

More fabric is very welcome! Of course our goal is to make curtains and pillows for the new afterschool-program-classroom.(This one has 3 big window's)
But I also want to create a room where leaders can rest when they have their break. This room also needs curtains.(This room has also 3 windows)
And for an old couch(that was a donation), new fabric too.
A lot of other classrooms have old or no curtains, so everything is welcome.

As long as it are bright colours, happy things for children, it's very welcome. We also want to make new pillows for the read/relax-corner's.

Ofcourse all small left-over we use for handscrafts with the bigger kids!!

And please "Sue from NJ", come and pay us a visit, when you're here!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #517) on Tuesday, February 6, 2007 - 6:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patty - I sent you a PL...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Thursday, February 8, 2007 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will add some measurements, just to get you an idea how much fabric we need. We ofcourse can do the sewing!!

The afterschool-program has:
1 window 134cm x 188cm
2 windows 168cm x 185cm

The room where I would like to create a break-room/kantene for leaders:
1 window 140cm x 200cm
1 window 168cm x 120cm

Toddler-space (very large and loud, could use some curtains)
16 windows 135cm x 100cm
the room where they sleep:
7 windows 135cm x 100cm

Thank you so much for helping!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #522) on Thursday, February 8, 2007 - 11:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

All - I'm suggesting to Patty that sheets will make wonderful curtains. (yard for yard, sheets are the most economical way to buy fabric, plus the bonus is that they are already hemmed/bound on each side, making for a quick sewing job).

I'm going to calculate the amount needed this evening and will post them, but if you are out shopping and see some cheap, colorful sheets, please pick them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Rosanne,

You can send the package to:

Kresh Bon Kwido
Kaya M.C. Hellmund Boom #1
Kralendijk
Bonaire

ps.when you have to fill in the value of the package's content, please keep it low, since we have to pay the taxes, which can be up to 23%!
So write : 2e hand donation worth $10 ??Something like that.

Thank you very much for the effort your taking!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1097) on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will do as you suggested, I was afraid of the tax issue but I will keep the value very low as to not burden you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #527) on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've calculated the yardage that would be needed, assuming typical 45" fabric (the typical width for basic - not decorator fabric, that's generally 54-60") and a modest gather and came up with the following:

After-school room: 18 yards
Break Room: 10 yards
Toddler room: 39 yards
Toddler sleep: 17 yards

I've tried to convert these into sheets, but it's getting late - so far, the easiest is the afterschool room: 6 twin flat sheets; the break room would be 2 twins & 1 double flat sheet or 4 twins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2615) on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patty, Do non profit groups need to pay taxes on donations? I do not think so..check ok?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann
I used to work at Hoppner and we used to pay taxes for all donations. So I have to check it again. Thanks anyway!

I would to thank the person that brought 2 bag's of toys this last friday 23 feb. to our daycare!!Thank you so much!!

Patty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We want to thank everybody that have been so generous in giving us donations for our new class.

Kresh Bon Kwido

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is a picture of the things we lately received. Curtains, toys, paint etc.

\image(textdescription)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

textdescription

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty van Slobbe Van Esdonk (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

textdescription

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5399) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Patty you are so close to posting ! Keep trying !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #439) on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patty, keep trying. If you need help, you can email the pics to the mods at moderators@bonairetalk.com and we can post them for you:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie {Moderator} (Moderator - Post #366) on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

P
P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5406) on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Freddie ! Great pictures, I'm sure the "stuff" made a LOT of people happy !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ayorkiemom (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #254) on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patty,
It was wonderful to meet you and tour the daycare!!! You are such a dear person and your son is adorable :-) I will be in touch with you again prior to coming back to Bonaire in July. We arrive July 21st and would love to bring more things; let me know what's urgent at this time and I'll repack my suitcase.

Hugs,
Kobi & Rob in Virginia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1627) on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patty, great pictures and cute cute kids. It would be great if you could post every once in awhile a list of the things you need at the center. We can point BTers to the thread when they inquire about things needed:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ayorkiemom (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #265) on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Freddie,
Thanks for posting pics :-) What a cute bunch of children; make me smile for sure! We'll help anyway we can both from afar and while on island!

Kobi in Virginia

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration