BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire Loses Funding - Needs Help!
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Non-profit organizations: STCB - Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire: Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire Loses Funding - Needs Help!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom C. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3889) on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi folks, here is a letter I recently received regarding Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire:

quote:

Subject: Granting Fund Update
banner

Granting Fund Update

Major Source of Funding No Longer Available

Dear Friends and Sponsors:

At the end of November, Imre Esser, STCB president, wrote to you asking for your continuing support. At that time, Imre wrote that our grant with the Dutch government had expired and we were under-funded for 2007 due to unanticipated problems getting our funding renewed. I’d like to take this opportunity to update you.
In early December, two of our board member visited the Hague and met with the appropriate Minister in an attempt to advance the proposal which we had submitted to and received the approval of the Bonaire Island Council back in August. At the meeting our representatives were informed that the funding program to which we had submitted our proposal had been terminated in early August and that a newly defined program would be opening in April, 2007. Unfortunately, due to the new definition of the program, sea turtle conservation would not be considered for any future grants.
Our representatives were further advised that with the recent commitment of the government to a long-term trust fund for the Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance, it was not anticipated that additional funding programs would be established for which we would qualify.
So where does that leave us? Well, we are working on identifying other grants and will be submitting one mid-January. But the scope of this, and most other available grants, is no where close to what we had hoped to secure from Holland. In addition, we have been raising funds from supporters such as yourself and have had some success. Donations from Maduro & Curiel's Bank (Bonaire) N.V. and BOPEC have been encouraging and we received a generous donation from the Foundation Preservation Klein Bonaire. Still, we have a long way to go to meet our goal of raising 100,000 ANG this year.
Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire Project Prospectus 2007 - 2009

Progress Report for 2005

I’m taking the liberty of providing some links and information Imre included in his November message. Please take a moment to review the material, in the hope that if you have not already contributed, you will do so now. Making a contribution is easy, can be done right on-line using a credit card and for U.S. taxpayers the contribution is tax deductible. Simply go to the Support Bonaire Inc. website. Be sure to select the Sea Turtle Conservation Project when completing the form.
If you would rather handle your donation in a different manner, please refer to our website for information about making a contribution. If you have any questions, please contact me. Many thanks to the people and organizations that have made contributions thus far.

Sincerely,

Andy Uhr
Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire
PO Box 492
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles
phone (599) 717 2225
cellular (599) 780 0433
stcb@bonaireturtles.org
www.bonaireturtles.org
logo

To learn more about STCB, visit: www.bonaireturtles.org

If you can, please help by contributing your dollars/guilders/euros. so that STCB may continue it's projects. Donations can easily be made with credit card by visiting: https://www.supportbonaire.org/Make-A-Donation-To-Support-Bonaire.php
and checking the circle next to "Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire Project". Directions are also included at this web page for those who would rather donate via check.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7992) on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 10:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Remember a couple of years ago when Andrew kept us up to date and let us follow the tagged turtles?? We could do him and the Turtle foundation a big favor by donating just a few bucks to this very worthy cause.. What say???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom C. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3890) on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am sorry, the link to Support Bonaire should be: www.supportbonaire.org/Make-A-Donation-To-Support-Bonaire.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #200) on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom,

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. My family will be sending a donation today and I hope many others will as well.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom C. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3892) on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Freddie, I do remember and agree.

Alex, thank you and your family. I too hope many others will help. Bonaire Talkers have a history of helping out worthy causes, I hope they and their friends and families join us in supporting STCB:-)

I also want to thank our mutual friend for sending me the original e-mail. After receiving her e-mail I registered to receive future newsletters from Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire.

Folks, if you are interested in receiving STCB's newsletters, you may register at: http://www.bonairenature.com/turtles/newsletters.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Uhr (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #201) on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Tom C. for posting our newsletter to BonaireTalk and thanks to all of you who have already shown support.

If you follow the link Tom provided above you can subscribe to our newsletter and get updates throughout the year on our activities including Satellite Tracking Updates and other happenings such as the recent oil spill and clean-up on the east coast, the beach restoration at Boka Onima and Queen Beatrix's visit to Klein Bonaire.

After you subscribe, click on the link to our home page and you will see the all the information about Sea Turtles and Bonaire that our site offers.

Thanks for your support and continue interest.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4907) on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 1:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Andrew! And Thanks Tom for bringing this up on BT. I just sent some $$$ to help you keep doing a great job with the turtles. I just love diving on Bonaire and getting an opportunity to maybe see some turtles when visiting Bonaire. Keep us the good work and I wish you continued success with your Sea Turtle projects.

Come on BT'rs, lets all join in here! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3408) on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It was quick and easy to send $$$ by Credit Card, only took two or three min's. Try it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #921) on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just made a donation as our last trip included many turtle encounters that were the highlight for my 9 year old! If we all chip in a little bit hopefully it will help the turtles to flourish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #678) on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

making my donation today!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration