BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Help the kids of Rincon learn traditional music
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Others: Help the kids of Rincon learn traditional music
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5531) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,

As you may know, Linda and I, along with three others, are on the Board of Support Bonaire, Inc. While we have stock projects (described on our web site), occasionally we get wind of a small and very "doable" project on Bonaire that needs just a little bit of attention.

One of these smaller projects has just come along:
I received a letter from Emma Sint Jago today - she's the head of the Art & Culture Foundation on Bonaire. She's looking to raise money to buy 15 "kuarta" - these are traditional Bonairean string instruments.

These are for young Bonairean kids to learn about their traditional music, with classes being held in the village of Rincon.

Here's the letter itself:

Project Music lesson for children 8 to 15 years at Sentro di Bario Rincon.
=====================================================

This project really need our attention as the children is very anxious to learn our traditional songs. Since February this year I was looking for some instruments for the children and also musician to help those children. Finally I got two drums (barí) and 5 wiri and they are practicing every Monday and Wednesday, and they already ask when the kuarta players will join them.

I have the application forms filled in by the children and also I have the teachers or musicians already who will help the children. But what we really need now is the music instruments (kuarta).

15 kuarta will cost Nafl. 1072,50 inclusive tax.
=================

We will use the Rincon Centre to give the lessons.

I will looking forward for your reply and thank you in anticipation,

My cultural regards,

STICHTING VOOR KUNST EN CULTUUR VAN BONAIRE
Foundation for Art and Culture of Bonaire

Emma Sint Jago – President.
Desiree Silberie – Treasurer.

The above amount translates to approximately US$600. If only 20 of us could each kick in $30, then this project could get funded, and we will have all helped get kids off the streets and learning more about their heritage and culture.

If any of you fellow BonaireTalkers are musicians and/or would like to help with this project, Support Bonaire can accept your donations (http://www.supportbonaire.org) for this particular project and all donated funds will be passed through directly, as with all of our other projects. Should you be able to donate on-line, just indicate this project in the comment field of the donation form.

Note that donations to Support Bonaire (which, incidentally, is what this entire special section of BonaireTalk is devoted to) are tax deductible for U.S. tax payers, as Support Bonaire Inc. is a IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity.

If you have any questions, e-mail me personally at jake@supportbonaire.org

In the mean time, I will keep a tally here with the amount still needed to meet the above goal.

Thus, as of this post only another $550 is needed as Linda and I have donated $50.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6220) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jake for posting this information. I just made a donation... Music makes the world go round....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1071) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 3:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jake, Sue and I will make a joint donation as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #632) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 3:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You have another $30 dollars to take off the total from Bob and I.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5534) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks folks! Yours, combined with another from a person who didn't post a message above, brings us to only $390 left to raise for this project!

Almost half-way there in half a day!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5538) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And now we're down to $340 left. Keep those donations coming in please!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1729) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 4:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just made a donation for $30 as well, Jake. Great cause. Debbie Babcock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5539) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 5:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Debbie!

$310 in donations to go!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2731) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Add (or subtract?) $25.00 from me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5541) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Kelly!

And I just got word this moment that a pair of Americans with a Foundation have agreed to cover the remaining balance, so WOO-HOO!!!! The kids will get their Quarta instruments!!!

I will be forwarding the names and e-mail addresses of all those who have contributed to Emma (the donation forms you all filled out on the SBI web site indicated it was okay to share your information with the target non-profit). Let me know if you prefer I didn't.

We'll try to get her a check in the next few days.

Thanks again for your help!!!

As soon as I get pictures from Emma with the kids in the music class I'll post them here.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2733) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This kinda stuff makes me get all teary and stuff.... ;) The kids always get to me.

Thanks Jake for spearheading this wonderful cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1731) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 2:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wonderful News, Jake! Can't wait to see the kids!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5581) on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 11:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just received pictures of the kids with the kuartas. At right is Emma St. Jago.

Kids with Kuartas

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5582) on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 11:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Emma sends her thanks and appreciation again to all that pitched in! (Forgot to mention that :-) )

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1114) on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 1:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jake - fantastic job, it's great to see the children and the kuartas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1926) on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 7:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for posting the picture, Jake!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6319) on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 8:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Totally awesome!!! let us know when they have a recital!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pam B (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 8:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK folks, sorry it took me so long, but the children will be performing aboard the MS Freewinds, Sunday 26th November, at 7:30 PM The price of FL 30,00 includes 1 drink and snacks.
Proceeds from this event are designated to DARE TO CARE.
For more information please contact Rudy ST. Jago at 786-3377
Please watch this site, I will try to keep you all informed as to these local children's events.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration