BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Donations to the Hoppner Foundation
Bonaire Talk: Bonaire Non-profit organizations: Maria Hoppner Foundation: Donations to the Hoppner Foundation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sharon Magnuson (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I live in the US, love Bonaire & its people and try to get there as often as I can (which hasn't been often enough lately). Whenever I go there, I bring donations for the Sister Maria Hoppner Foundation, a very caring center that provides temporary housing for children whose parents are unable to take care of them. The kids are sweet, adorable, all ages, and there are more boys than girls.
The center has need of all sorts of donated items, which you can drop off at the center, at Tourist Corporation Bonaire downtown or at Chat 'n' Browse.
In addition to children's clothes (especially boys') the center has a need for:
* personal care items, like toothbrushes & paste, soap, etc. (I got my dentist to donate children's brushes & toothpaste.)
* laundry soap
* bed sheets (twin or single)
* sturdy, long shower curtains
* window curtains (light-blocking, washable)
* PC computers
* toys & picture books (After a book sale ended at my local library, they let me take all the kids' books I wanted.) Picture books are best, since the children don't speak English.
* sports equipment, especially for baseball, soccer & windsurfing.
I also talked my local pharmacy into donating unsold children's flip-flops at the end of the summer. Use your imagination about how/where to collect donations, then bring stuff on your next trip there. We have so much in the US! It feels great & isn't very difficult to help others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2659) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions, Sharon. Joe and I will make a point of adding some items to our luggage for the Foundation on our next trip to Bonaire in the Spring. You are right...we take so much for granted in the US that it is hard to phathom that there are those who are in need on a daily basis.

Thank you all for the posts and the offers of help.

Yes, we can show our care and concern for people as well as the donkeys.....Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8784) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sharon, thanks for the information. When I went in July, I had posted if there were any organizations that needed clothes, or other items but got no response. I wish I had known about this orgainzation. Another idea, if you aren't going down soon, maybe another BTalker can take some small items for the donater. I am going to make a little list and see if someone can take some items in November.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sharon Magnuson (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 6:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cynde -
Good idea -- asking others to bring donations to Bonaire for you. That's exactly how I got the idea to post my message above. See the recent series of posts under Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Anyone going from Boston.
While trying to find people in the Boston area to bring donations to Bonaire for me, & having valuable discussions with people on the "Getting to Bonaire" site, I discovered this Support Bonaire area of BonaireTalk & realized I should post info here too! I was surprised there were no postings in support of the Hoppner Foundation (but grateful that our ever-thoughtful moderators had already set up the structure to do it). There were 47 posts about the Donkey Sanctuary, but 0 for Hoppner, & I thought "What's wrong with this picture? Aren't little kids as important as donkeys?" I'm not knocking donkeys, guys, so don't even think about jumping on me for that! ;-) Sharon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadine Rubin (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 8:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is a foundation badly in need. My husband and I brought down school supplies and backpacks for the kids. There are 13 boys ranging in age from 5 to 17. So it is not just little kids. Non perishable food is also a good idea. They love pasta.Each boy takes turns cooking dinner. As far as getting stuff there - anything you can pack in your suitcase. Stay away from carrying a box - customs just loves to open and question.You can't just say you intend to donate it and expect to be exempt from duty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8804) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nadine, do they need clothing for the kids?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1493) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 7:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know they could probably use school clothes. So any navy pants or dark blue jeans would help. The shirts are part of the "uniform" which are embroidered yellow polos for the younger kids and special printed Ts for the high school level. Both kinds of shirts we get on island only. The kids must have socks and either sneakers or shoes for school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8808) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda, do they get to wear "regular" clothes when not in school? Dylon has outgrown all of his clothes, and I have given some to the local charity here, but I would love to ship a bunch off for these kids. I know he has some dark jeans and tennis shoes that would help with the uniform, but I have a bunch of other boys clothes that I could donate as well if they accept those. Guess I will search for their website and see if I can get a contact and ask these questions:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1499) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 2:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My kids wear the same school "uniform" as the Hoppner kids. So I'm sure they do the same thing we do. Our kids change into regular play clothes right after school at 12:30pm so that their school clothes stay nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8809) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Linda, that's what I figured. Now I need to recruit some of those folks going in November to take the clothes down for me! Come to think of it I have some curtains that I have replaced with new ones that are still good:-)

(Message edited by cyndelee on September 30, 2003)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadine Rubin (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 3:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde...yes, the clothes are a good idea. So are bath towels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #830) on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I was at the dentist yesterday, when I asked they gave me a whole box of little toothpaste tubes -- they'll be in my bag Dec. 29. I also generally bring drawing paper/pens, which are easy to pack too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sharon Magnuson (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 7:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good idea, Josie. You go, girl!

I was poking around the Web, & found this site:
www.infobonaire.com/hoppnerfoundation/donations.html
which lists some of their needs (in addition to money, of course):

For the children:
* Games to play with (dominos with pictures for little children, 4-in-a-row)
* Basketball, soccer ball, big soft ball
* Glue
* Coloring pens
* Other handicraft items (colored paper, wool, paint, paint brushes)
* Fishing gear (line, hooks, etc.)
* Rubber boat with paddles
* Pump (for balls and bicycle tires)
* Simple camera to make pictures of special events (birthdays, etc.)
* Blank video tapes (either PAL or NTSC)
* Kids' game CD-roms

For the decoration of the house:
* Hat racks (for 13), towel racks, clothes, or wall decorations for the childrens' bedrooms
* Posters (for boys)
* Pots for plants
* Gift Wrapping Paper
* Banners (for birthdays and other party occasions)

For the kitchen:
* Frying pan
* Industrial fryer (for making french fries for about 15 persons)
* Simple microwave
* Baking tins (for pies, cakes, cupcakes)
* Electric hand mixer

For the office:
* Paper shredder
* Plastic mail slots (the type that are stackable) for 13 children

Hope some of this is helpful. - Sharon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #614) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 9:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can someone on Bonaire tell me if the phone and fax numbers on

http://www.infobonaire.com/hoppnerfoundation/contact_us.html

are correct?

I have tried e-mailing them have not received any answers. I really would like to know what items they might need that John and I can bring when we return in October.

Their "donations" page has not changed in a long time.

Thanks,
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #748) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I are involved in a small way with this foundation .. We sponsor one of the boys. It is very fullfilling to be able to do the little that we do. And we got to meet this wonderful little boy during my trip in May. I am going back in October and will be bringing things to help out, as well as his birthday and Christmas presents to be held til the right times. I am very happy to see people asking about how they can help out. Thank You!! I emailed the person who coordinates the sponsors to link her to this thread. She may be able to provide more info, and up to date needs lists, as she was leaving for a visit to Bonaire just a short time ago. So keep checking back to see if she has provided more info when she can.

Denise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #616) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Denise,

I will keep an eye on this thread.

Last February I was able to deliver to Bonaire many small items some of which were donated by a dentist, sporting goods stores and our own lovely Cynde Lee.

Michael of Chat n Browse was kind enough to make sure they got to the MHF.

I hope to see you and Darlene in October, if not before in Bow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11666) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, let me know when you find out what they need as well. Also, a firm decision has not been made as to where to donate the left over PR funds, I need to find out what other organizations from Support Bonaire have specific needs at the moment, then post, and everyone can "vote":-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #618) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will do Cynde! Thanks:-{)}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #854) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 1:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Denise just e-mailed me a revised wish list for the Maria Hoppner Foundation. If anyone is interested you may e-mail me through my profile page.

Sadly I only have one extra piece of luggage to fill this October.

Thanks Denise.

Cynde, e-mail on the way as requested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #858) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 8:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW!!!! You folks are amazing. I have received quite a few request for "The List" which Denise forwarded to me, I have decided to post it here I believe in its' entirety, that I only removed the boys names. And some items which have already purchased.

All the boys are in need of:
-Clothes (fashion-clothes/Old navy-style)
-Swimwear/shorts they don't like small Speedos!
-Slippers - plastic ones
-Sport shoes - sneakers
-Underwear Hanes ! Good quality)
-Socks (ankle socks , they love them)
-Towels/beach-towels
-Bedding sheets (1 person bed-size)
-School supply's backpack/pencils/markers - scissors/glue
-Mini shampoo/toothpaste/shower-gel/deodorant no spray! etc.

For general use we could use the following:
- School-glue( for example Elmer's)
-Finger-paint
-Paint( basic colors preferable)
-Domino( not the one with the numbers, but the one you must put in a line and they fall over)
-Markers (Crayola)
-Wood snippers(lolly-pop) for arts-project
-Foam shapes for art-project
-Glow in the dark-paint
-Colored paper all sizes)
-Basket-ball/small bouncing balls
-Games:
--2 Hangman ( one for big boys, one for small boys)
--2 Rummikub
--2 Monopoly
--2 Jenga

this is the underwear sizes so maybe that will give you an idea of approximate sizes for them. Remember "no Speedos" . All are in boy/men sizes
1 boy size 6-8,1 boy size 8, 1 boy size 10, 2 boys size 12, 2 boys size 14, 1 boy size 30, 1 boy size 32, 2 boys size 34

Thanks for asking folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #794) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

alot of this list won't matter if they get duplicates. But some might. If you decide to donate the games for example, it may be good to post that you have done so in order that they not receive 200 Monopoly games - for example (200 is an obvious exageration :-) but you get the idea.

And don't forget the obvious - $ donations to the foundation which can be used for what they need most at the time. http://www.infobonaire.com/hoppnerfoundation/donations.html It's always difficult to suggest $ donations, but it helps put food on the tables and pays for day to day and long term needs... they want to also be able to help girls but can not yet afford it

THANK YOU!!!
I know any help is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadine Rubin (BonaireTalker - Post #70) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 11:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good idea to post what you are donating. Do not donate $$$$. Your donation of material things are a given. Food items...peanut butter, pasta, sauce, salad dressing, mac and cheese, etc.Well appreciated. $$$ are not accountable.We know you can't get great kids stuff on Bonaire - so bring stuff form the states or europe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #795) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got word that the Monoploy Games have now been donated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #796) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 1:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would not mean to donate cash ... the Foundation's web site suggests how to make donations which would not be cash. Financial donations are to the foundation not for the individual boys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1073) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Denise and all,

I am picking up the Jenga games and other stuff.
Vermont Dental just donated 20 dental kits (2nd year in a row), I will be putting these along with shampoos and deodorants into either toiletry kits or mask bags for the boys.

Will post whatever else I get before I leave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #493) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob and I are bringing a tent for the foundation with us in October, we are having great fun writing instructions for putting it up! It is our 'old' tent and we just put it up automatically so trying to get the order right is very difficult. I am hoping we can spend some time with the kids showing them how it goes up so the instructions make some sense!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #827) on Monday, October 4, 2004 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I picked up crayons, crayola washable markers, and #2 pencils today to bring next week :-)
The crayons (384) are surprisingly heavy!! I think I 'll put them in my carry on to keep them from breaking or melting.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration