BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and Sailing: Please keep kiteboarding out of Lac Bay
Bonaire Talk: Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and Sailing: Archives: Archives 2001 - 2006: Archives - 2001-01-01 to 2004-04-30: Please keep kiteboarding out of Lac Bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kiteboarding has been introduced into Lac Bay. We feel that is a very bad idea. It may be ecologically unsound and a hazard to windsurfers. The present windsurfing capacity of the bay is 60-80 windsurfers. The windsurfing concessions feel that the number of sailors would be drastically reduced to possibly 10 kiteboarders and 20 windsurfers in the bay. This would mean a decreased number of tourists windsurfing. Kiteboarding has been banned in sections of Hawaii and San Diego. Kites are large and lines are long and involve frequent raising, lowering and dragging during the beginner stage. We have watched people learning on Cape Hatteras and many of them never actually get up on the board and sail. Others get up only to fall and never get up again and end up dragging everything back. We feel the kiteboarding is not a good thing in Lac Bay's small area. Corney Ann and John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 6:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone, is there a way to express our views on this that would get them heard. I certainly wouldn't like to see Lac Bay changed, even though I'm just a windsurf watcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 7:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We witnessed someone Kitesurfing Lac Bay while we were there in May this year and almost drove off the roadside doing so. I could not believe my eyes. I do not think this sport and Lac Bay "go together". Just not enough room, dangerous and attracting thrill seekers (extreme sport enthusiasts). Sounds like a bad combo to me. Anyone else care to jump into the waters, here? Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, August 8, 2001 - 12:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are actually three different concerns, with respect to Bonaire, with kite boarding/surfing, based on my observations of attempts of this sport, and reports from people in the U.S. who've been following this "sport":

1) The kite boarders I've seen have been in the midst of the sea grass beds, which are restricted areas, and the sort of dragging and bouncing around they are prone to do, especially when getting the hang of the sport, are destroying the sea grass beds. Never mind this is a direct violation of Bonaire Marine Park policies.

2) There appears to be a real danger from kite boarders to others using Lac Bay. Recently, when we had a birthday party for one of our kids at Sorobon (on the Bay side, north of the windsurfing operations), we noticed there was a distinct lack of control on the part of the two kite boarders attempting to surf with kite sails, as well a few near misses with windsurfers and our kids playing in the shallow water. I understand these issues have resulted in numerous restrictions on where and when kite boarders can do there thing in various parts of the U.S.

3) From a legal perspective, I understand that there may be people on Bonaire bringing in groups of people to Lac to teach them how to kite board, for pay. Unless the instructor is an Antillean, I believe this requires a business license, and I'm not aware of any kite boarding school licenses ever having been issued on Bonaire.

So, for those wanting to take up this sport, please don't do it on Bonaire. For those involved with the sport on Bonaire, perhaps sooner rather than later would be a time to address the above issues with the windsurfing, tourist, and environmental organizations on the island.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, August 8, 2001 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is Lac Bai a part of the Marine Park and, therefor, the purview of the Marine Park Police?? Don't they have the power of law to enforce Park regulations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, August 8, 2001 - 11:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marine Park _Police_? There is no such thing. Many wish there were - that would certainly take care of things like this, the illegal taking of conch, illegal dumping of sand on shorelines, and countless other detrimental and non-permitted activities affecting Bonaire's Marine Park ordinances and conservation efforts.

But yes, Lac Bai is part of the Marine Park.

So, we have an issue where the Marine Park doesn't have the necessary ability, by itself, to enforce a ban on kite surfing in the sea grass areas, but something still needs to be done.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, August 9, 2001 - 12:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How does the BMP enforce it's rules for divers?? I thought that they have human beings in boats and trucks watching us. Do you mean that all the rules, like 'no gloves', take nothing but pictures and joy, and requiring a BMP tag, are voluntary and unenforcable??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Thursday, August 9, 2001 - 1:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen....the BMP rangers are around and they do enforce the tags and gloves on their shore dive rounds. They also check tags to be sure they are current.

The dive operators also enforce.

As far as police - well, that's a sticky wicket. The former manager had a philosophy of non-disruption, which is okay to a point. Her rangers were frustrated, cuz they would 'shoot' violators of the marine laws (conch, lobster, spearfisherman) if they could - that's how dedicated they are to the sea and it's inhabitants.

She would warn, not enforce. Example: In 94 I was guiding a guy and his grandson. He wanted to see seahorses and I showed him. Well, as a got back so he could take pics, he proceeds to pick the little critter up - I mean he grabs it!!! I quickly finned in and gave him the sign to put it back, which he completely ignored and starte to hand it to his grandson....I grabbed his wrist and started to squeeze - he still didn't release the seahorse....I then took out my knife and grabbed his hose....he got the message real quick.

Needless to say, he was highly upset - but not as much as I was. He told me he had been coming to Bonaire for 10 years and he would do what he damn well wanted to (Bostonite).

Before I harmed him, :) I turned him over to the BMP manager (Kalli)....she 'educated' him, no fine, no nothing. I then learned that she had a 'fear' of disrupting by enforcement because she had been threatened once for enforcing. I fully understand her fear and respect that of her, but it's not the way to protect the reef if we educate every offense instead of enforcement. That's solely my opinion and my soapbox....sorry about that. :)

I'm normally not violent, but underwater I go bonkers when I see the misdeeds. In fact, I wouldn't dive during Nikonos Shootout week. I didn't want to hurt anyone. :):)

I didn't like her passive method, but she was in charge and I wasn't and that's why Baskin and Robbins has all those flavors, too.

I don't know the new manager. Jake can probably do justice there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Thursday, August 9, 2001 - 7:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry, how awful for you... that must have been a very difficult situation... of course, I am a firm believer that "education" is imperative.. though, I do agree with you that there should be some kind of enforcement also.. often, people are only too aware that they MUST NOT harass marine life, but still they think they have a right to just "do it anyway".. what a very inconsiderate man you had to deal with, hope I never find myself in the same situation...:)

Here's a quick story:

I've recently finished watching a video of one of Hugh's dives on Bonaire.. there's a diver trying to get a picture of a turtle, he is chasing the poor turtle and banging the coral at the same time.. I believe this is something else that should be kept a very close eye on.. perhaps if the diver knew, that he was, in fact, harrassing the turtle and destroying the coral, he may have thought twice about his actions....Then again, maybe he did know, but the picture was just toooo important!!!..:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Thursday, August 9, 2001 - 7:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am an avid windsurfer. Several of my friends kite. I call it going over to the other side or "the cult". Once windsurfers begin to kite, few go back to windsurfing. Anyway, I do not mind kiters staying away from the windsurfing area so long as they have control but the problem lies when newbies end up downwind in the "windsurf areas". I have rescued MANY a kiter who could not bring their kite down.

Not having been to BON I cannot comment on the logistics of how both sports can work together but clearly if their is potential damage to the ecosystem, then problems arise.

There are MANY places that are banning this sport. Certain beaches have designated areas. It seems up to the windsurf concessions and the marine park admin. to come up with a solution. I have to say, I enjoy watching kiters in between my own runs and do not favor Banning ANY sport but if there is a safety issue or environmental issue, then perhaps BON is not the place. If so, there are MANY other places, Puerto Rico for one..

Annie
PR
Cape Cod Windsurfing Assoc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Thursday, August 9, 2001 - 8:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sarah...just as in life, there are good photographers and bad ones. The good ones will not harass the critters and will get the natural pic without disturbing it or damaging coral.

Another quickie: the reason I didn't dive during the Nikonos shoot was because I tried to alert a photographer that he was laying on the coral and all he did was dug in tighter to get his shot....well, he missed the shot, cuz I grabbed his fin and yanked. We surfaced, had words and I swore from that day on I had to stay away from the idiots if I wanted to stay healthy.

It's not nice to harass the tourist either :). Am I radica - when it comes to the corals - you betcha. I try to educate and alert, when I'm ignored and the killing continues, I react.

Lac Bay: This is a thread on Lac. I helped survey the entire bay before I left in 2000. There is supposed to be an environmental plan for that bay - one that protected the bay and allowed activities, but I don't know to what extent.

Jake...maybe you can contact Cindy Lott and find out what the status is.....there may be a protection loophole that can prevent this destruction of the sea grasses from kiting.

I personally don't like when they windsurf over the grasses (there are boundaries which are frequently violated)...it not only damages the grasses and the algae, but turtles surfacing for air are in danger too. They have enough to worry about without silent fiberglass torpedoes running them down....kinda like coming up from a dive and getting hit by a jetski or boat.

If they folow the rules, the bay and critters are pretty much protected. It's a balance that nature can accept.

Another quickie: we were surveying grids of 200 meters square. We had dive flags (bouy) at the corners and at center of grid top and bottom and dead center (7 flags total). Each grid had yellow lines going to the bouy flags. We were patrolling in a rubber boat with a BMP ranger, keeping boats, etc from hitting the lines or clipping a diver.

Well, some hotshot windsurfer decided he wanted more room and ended up wiping out, almost strangling himself in the grid (this was in only 6 feet of water over the grasses).....he had some pretty nasty rope burns. I won't tell you what the ranger told him, but there was no pity for the windsurfers stupidity.

Now, if they can't adhere to flags, boats and advance warnings from the operators, what can we do about the poor turtles and seagrasses that are in danger.

The bad guys hurt all the good guys, too, cuz we all know that bad is remembered more than good. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, August 9, 2001 - 9:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry,

Whether you got along with Kalli or not, the fact is that the BMP Rangers (the manager included) are not members of the police force, and partly because of that, their ability to enforce regulations is rather limited. When they do need more "muscle", they can call the police, but that's not proven to be effective, as the police tend to apparently believe that the taking of conch, for example, is not a very important thing to bother with. Spearguns they do take seriously.

However, that's getting way off topic, the topic being what to do to resolve the kite boarding situation before it goes completely out of hand...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Thursday, August 9, 2001 - 11:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake....I had to go back and see what you were talking about :).

First - Kalli and I worked together on many projects for 7 years. WE got along just fine...we had had several discussions about enforcement and she was genuinely afraid.

It's not easy being an outsider and telling locals what they can and cannot do on their own island. That is why she had a hard time convincing the police to act on conch taking, which I might add have all been depleted.

STCB had the same problem with turtles, but it took strong people to stand up and now the police/DA arrest/prosecute and the judges convict.

I empathized with her. Her hands were tied to a degree. It was just as frustrating for her as for me - not at each other, but the situations.

Second - The reason the discussion went that direction was I was responding to Glen's inquiry and as I have always done, include a life experience story to expound the point. My disussion was on the issue of Kiteboarding. Kiteboarding isn't the real issue, the ecosystem is and you need ordinances and enforcement to protect it with a balance for sport included. Then when issues such as kiteboarding come along, you have your weapons in hand.

At some time or other, enforcement has to come into the picture. I've seen dive operators prevent divers from diving on their boats when they repeatedly violated the ordinances and guidelines. That's hard to do, but they did it and I'm sure will continue to do it. The ordinances are only as strong at the enforcement.

Third - The Lac Bai survey project mapped and took census (grass, algae, starfish, conch) of the entire bay and Cindy finalized it with a balanced environmental utilization plan - and as I asked you, why don't you check with Cindy and see if Kiteboarding can be banned or restricted to a set enforceable area of the bay - maybe the breakers only :)?

I'm on your side on this issue. That 'nursery' over their is too delicate to exploit for guilders. If the laws/ordinances don't support you, then petition the people and the government and create new laws to prevent further destruction to that ecosystem.

If the Kiteboarding expands, then what's next? Jetskiing?

And that is the subject at hand, isn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Conkey on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 9:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This discussion is starting to sound like the old Waterskier vs. Wakeboarder battle. Most people I know started waterskiing and moved on to wakeboarding. Now everyone I know wakeboards. They are all very considerate and very responsible when it comes to others on the water and the enviroment.
These same friends are all good windsurfers and are all experimenting with kiteboarding this year.
Every sport evolves into something different at somepoint and people need to allow the sport to evolve and not depress it.
As long as the sport it done responsibly, keep an open mind to it. There are ways both sports can co-exist if both sports work together.
Anger towards a boarder will only hurt yourself. Work together and have fun together!

Just my thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 2:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann-- you never been to Bonaire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 3:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since that post Aug. 9 I have been 3 times. I love watching kiteboarding but it is too small a bay to handle many kitesailors and windsurfers. Most stay near the marina and everyone is quite happy.

It is not my decision what the marine park does about kiting but word is it will be banned at Lac Bay.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PStobie on Saturday, March 2, 2002 - 10:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I seem to remember when we WINDSURFERS were banned from beaches too because surfers and swimmers didn't want us around! I remember hearing that we were too out of control! We took up too much of the beaches, yada yada yada!
Our family has been windsurfing for years. In the last year my husband has gotten in to Kiteboarding. He took lessons in Hatteras and Maui in the last year. He now has his own kite and would like to bring it when we come in March. We were very dissappointed to see all the negative postings about kitebarding. I would have to agree with Rob Conkey that it's the old water skiing vs wakeboarding or snow skiing versus snowboarding argument. (My husband does all of the above.) It's a new and exciting sport which is growing at a quick rate in Maui. (The kitebarders and windsurfers manage to get along there.) It's much easier to travel with your kite and board then windsurfer when going to places like Maui or Bonaire. Is kiteboarding banned in Bonaire? If so he won't bring it with him! He doesn't want to make enemies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Saturday, March 2, 2002 - 8:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is a tough question to answer. Kiteboarding and other activities are not allowed in the windsurfing area due to obvious collision potential especially with the inexperienced. Any activity is not allowed above the sea grass areas. And of course, you don't want to be doing anything in the mouth of the bay, or near the fisherman's piers and boat area. Lac Bay is also surrounded by mangroves - again a protected area. All those limitation don't leave much room for kiteboarding. The one time I've seen a kiteboarder I did notice that he needed a lot of room to string out the kite and get going. He was also standing in rather shallow water.

I haven't seen much windsurfing (or any kiteboarding) on the leeward side at all. The water gets deep very fast and unless you are very good you'll find yourself sailing off to Curacao in short order. On this side, you also have to contend with sailboats, more fishing boats, scuba divers, snorkelers, dive boats, and every other weird ship/barge you can think of.

Based on a quick internet search, it looks like kiteboarding is highly regulated in Maui with actual kiteboarding zones, no launching before 11am, and even FAA guidelines for anything within 5 miles of the airport. They recommended any area 50-100 feet in every direction for clearance to launch. This would be tough in Lac.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dain L. Mangnall on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 12:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Same issue in Colorado with Skiers vs. Snowboarders

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edwin Bonne on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 5:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

All I hear is negative publicity on the part of kitesurfing in Lac Bay. I totally dis-agree with what primarly windsurfers have to say about kitesurfing at Sorobon.
- First of all, the kitesurfers stay downwind of the windsurfers who prefer to be sailing in front of the shops and alone the shallow anyway.
- Secondly, I have seen windsurfers on many occasions walking on the seagrass in Lac Bay. So all this finger pointing is not correct!!

I have been a windsurfing for over 16 years and have sailed in Lac Bay most of those years. I have been part of promoting the sport and have organised events in Curacao in conjuction with Bonaire. Thus, stating that I am not against windsurfing, but actually know the sport and location extremely well. I have been kitesurfing now for 1 year and have seen how this windsurfing community attacked our presence.
This is totally un-necessary! We should and can live together. Hey, I still spend time on a board cruising at times and have no problem with the kites.
Furthermore I would like to point out that there is absolutely no truth to the theory of a maximum capacity of 10 kitesurfers and 20 windsurfers in the bay. In august we were in the downwind section of the bay with 14 riders. There were at least 30 windsurfers in front of the shops and all along that area. As we were down wind and the windsurfers upwind there was no problem. Even with 60 sailers it wouldn't be a problem.

If anybody want to have a look or a discussion at any time I would be glad to point the above statements out. Come take a look and you will be convinced!!

And by the way...If the Marine Park forbids kitesurfing on grounds of walking through the sea grass they should also forbid windsurfing as they also do the same. During the Bonaire Regatta this is very apparent.

Cheers & Peace!

Edwin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 5:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Some sort of agreement has been reached with respect to kite surfing, the Marine Park, and windsurfers. See http://www.kitesurfbonaire.com

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 10:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

I saw nothing obvious about agreements on the link you gave. ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 1:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Again, I hate to see any sport banned..there are hazards in all sports and if the area is respected (I still see windsurfers walking in sea grass so they are at fault too) and the kiters are near the marina in the deep bay, I think we can coexist.

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By hillary whyte on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sailboards vs. Kite sailors, snowboards vs. skiers, Mac vs. PC, Democrats vs. Republicans..... I suppose this will be on Crossfire on CNN? Some of you are way too whiny about a sport that only requires the WIND to have fun...perhaps if they were all on jet skis you'd be happier, even interested in doing it since it doesn't require any "athleticism".
Don't let the beginners who are struggling to aquire good kite handling skills disturb you, worry about an eco-terrorist that will shoot you for looking at the marsh grass the "wrong" way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 7:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hillay..hope you never find yourself in the position of peacefuly snorkelling on lac bay and having a novice kite sailor bearing down on you! Every sport with a potential for grave danger to unsuspecing bystanders needs some rules. If I go to a hocky match and get smacked in the forhead by a puc, I was a willing spectator and take my lumps without complaint. As for kite sailors, I have no problem if there is a space for them that is set aside to keep the rest of us out of their paths. Bonaire is too small for a large influx of these sportsman. As for the marsh grass...we forgive you for you uneducated comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By hillary whyte on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 8:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael,
I live on a National Estuarine Research Reserve. I drive a hybrid automobile. I have windsurfed for 20 years in areas that have protected areas to preserve plant and animal life, all of which I am overly cautious in protecting.
I have never kite sailed. It looks like fun. I know, as a result of windsurfing in areas where kites are permitted, that learning to fly the kite is a tough undertaking. The majority of those, both sailboards & kites, have aquired the skills to avoid collision. A place I frequent allows kites in the water after 5:00PM (summer hrs) so not to pose a threat to swimmers.
Have you ever kite sailed? Since it's creating so much controversy on the Island of Bonaire, I will stick with the familiar and dive/snorkel on the leeward side.
Oh, by the way, I'm not uneducated...just stupid. Where is the hockey rink on Bonaire? Should I bring my skates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, December 7, 2002 - 8:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The hocky rink is located right next to the 14 story buildings in Rincon. No, I have never kited or wind surfed. It is not that kiting created such a controvery here, it is perhaps that it was something new and posed a threat to the locally established businesses. As for the protection of the enviorment, that takes precedence over any sports activity. We no longer have air shows here (once popular)as it scares the hell out of the flamingos! I don't doubt that you are enviormentally conscious and I didn't mean to put you on the defensive, but the majority of visitors to Bonaire who are here for a week don't have the time to look beneath the surace (no pun intended) and see what it has taken to keep our island in a relatively pristine condition. That is the reason we have a high percentage of returning visitors...they see there is more to us than wind and waves and come back to experience it. Our goal of sustainable growth does not include activites that will work to undo our progress or damage our ecosystem.
By all means, bring your skates next visit. In the past we have had an Xmas on Ice skating show. Who knows, we amy be able to arrange downhill sking on the salt hills for those who are interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Saturday, December 7, 2002 - 4:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, Michael, Joe was just thinking the same thing about the Salt hills.....he says "great minds think alike"! Get your downhill skis ready, guys! LOL. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By hillary whyte on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 1:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have the proper wax for Mt. Sodium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hagen Wegerer on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 8:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WE PRIDE OURSELVES AS HUMANS FOR BEING THE MOST INTELIGEANT OF CREATURE EVER TO LIVE ON THIS PLANET WE CALL EARTH. BEFORE I ANSWER TO ANY OF THE ALLAGATIONS THAT KITE BOARDING OR KITE SURFING, WHICH IS AN EVOLUTION OF WINDSURFING, IS A DANGEROUS “SPORT”, I WOULD LIKE US ALL TO THINK ALITTLE AND CONSIDER VARIUOS POINTS OF VIEW.

IN AFRICA ON THE SURVANA PLAINS, ANIMALS WILL TAKE IT IN TURN TO GORGE THEMSELVES ON ANY OR LITTLE WATER AVAILBLE TO THEM. THEY HAVE A HEIRACHY SYSTEM WITHIN THEIR OWN GROUP AS WELL AS BETWEEN DIFFERENT SPIECES AS TO WHO CAN STAY AND WHO SHOULD COME BACK LATER.

AS HUMANS WE HAVE ALWAYS MANAGED TO MAKE OURSELVES MORE SUPERIOR THAN OTHER CREATURES, AND YET WE SEGREGATE OUR OWN SPEICES WITH RELIGION, COLOUR, CREED, DISABILITY AND MORE TO THE POINT WE AS HUMANS WILL EVEN TRY TO ELLIMINATE EACHOTHER.

THE ONLY WAY FORWARD WITH ANYTHING IS TO HAVE LINES OF COMMUNICATION, UNDERSTANDING OF OTHERS, EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE OF CERTAIN WANTS, NEEDS & DESIRES. IT IS THIS THAT MAKES US HUMANS.

NOW TO LOOK AT THOSE ALLEGATIONS:

1. ECOLOGICALLY UNSOUND – AS FAR AS THE ECOLLOGY OF THE AREA GOES, KITING HAS LESS OF AN IMPACT ON THE TURTLE GRASS THAN OTHER USERS WALKING ON IT OR WINDSURFERS MAKING SPECTACULAR JUMPS AND SPINS ONLY TO IMPRESS THE CROWDS, BUT ENDING UP IN THE GRASS THEMSELVES ….HAZARDOUS….WHO..? WINDSURFERS JUMPING IN 3 FEET OF WATER AS CHILDREN PLAY..?
2. HAZARDS FOR OTHER BEACH USERS WITH LONG LINES – I THINK THAT OPEN FIRES, BROKEN BOTTLES AND OTHER TYPES OF DEBRIS ARE FAR MORE HAZARDEOUS THAN LONG LINES ON A BEACH.
3. DRAGGING THEIR EQUIPMENT BACK – YES THIS SPORT TAKES INSTRUCTION AS DOES OTHER SPORTS. IT IS UNDER INSTRUCTION THAT THIS SPORT CAN BE MONITORED AND KEPT SAFE FOR OTHER USERS AS WELL AS THE KITER THEMSELVES.. PERSONALLY I FOUND WINDSURFING A DIFFICULT SPORT AND HAVE OFTEN DRAGGED MY BOARD & SAIL BACK TO MY STARTING POINT.
4. CHANGE LAC BAY – I DON’T THINK ANYBODY WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE BAY CHANGE
5. ATTRACTING THRILL SEEKERS – THIS SPORT ATTRACTS ANY ATHLETE OR PERSON WILLING TO GIVE ANYTHING “NEW” A TRY. AS WAS POINTED OUT WITH WATER SKIING & WAKE BOARDING, SNOW SKIING & SNOW BOARDING, HORSEBACK RIDING & DRIVING A CAR.
6. BONAIRE MARINE PARK AS POLICE OFFICERS – THERE IS TALK ABOUT GIVING THE RANGERS POLICE POWERS. AT PRESENT THE ONLY GROUP OF TOURISTS WHO ARE MADE AWARE OF”THE RULE” ARE THE DIVERS. AN ORIENTATION AND AN AWARENESS TO THE RULES OF THE MARINE PARK IS MANDATORY. SNORKELERS AND OTHER TOURISTS ARE NOT INFORMED OF THESE RULES, RATHER THEY CAN IF THE WISH INFORM THEMSELVES BY READIUNG LEAFLETS THAT ARE OUT OF DATE.
7. KITING IN THE SEA GRASS AREA – IF WE LOOK AT THE AREA IN QUESTION IT WILL COME TO LIGHT THAT ALL USERS AT SOME POINT WILL CROSS THE SEA GRASS AREA.
8. GLOVES FOR DIVERS – GLOVES ARE NOT ALLOWED ON DIVES HERE IN BONAIRE WHICH IS A GOOD THING. WE DO NOT NEED TO TOUCH THE REEF ANYWAY. AS A DIVE INSTRUCTOR & KEEN SHORE DIVER I OFTEN COME ACROSS DIVERS WITH A SET OF GLOVES ON…THE EXCUSS…I’M COLD, I CUT MY HAD, I FORGOT TO TAKE THEM OFF..BLABLABLA. WHO IS WATCHING & WHO CARES ABOUT IT ENOUGH TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT…MAYBE CUSTOMS SHOULD SEARCH BAGGAGE ON ARRIVAL..!
9. “WINDSURF AREA” – NOW WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE. REGULATIONS, RESTRICTIONS AND ZONING. WE IN BONAIRE HAVE A BEAUTIFUL BAY. THE WINDSURFERS LOVE TO BE UPWIND. THAT LEAVES THE KITERS TO STAY DOWNWIND AWAY FROM SWIMMERS AND OTHER BAY USERS.
10. KITEBOARDING BANNED – NO, AT LEAST NOT YET AND NOT ON BONAIRE. INTERESTING THAT DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THIS SPORT ARE ALWAYS KEPT TO THE PEOPLE IN THE KNOW AND NOT MUCH IS OPEN FOR PUBLIC DEBATE. THE ISSUE AT HAND IS ONLY IN LAC BAY WITH REGARD TO THE MAIN WATERUSER WANTING TO HANG ONTO HIS TURF.
11. REGUALATIONS & ZONING, EDUCATION, SAFETY & RESPECT – THESE ARE THE KEY POINTS THAT WE SHOULD ALL THINK ABOUT.

OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS THE SPORT HAS DEVELOPED FASTER THAN ANY OTHER WATER SPORT TO DATE. EVERY MONTH NEW EQUIPMENT IS BEING DEVELOPED WITH BETTER SAFTEY STANDARDS & GUIDELINES. INSTRUCTORS ARE KEEN TO MAKE THIS SPORT POPULAR BUT ALSO SAFE. A CERTAIN RESPECT AND COMARADERY HAS DEVELOPED AND IT THIS THAT WILL HELP MAKE IT A SAFE SPORT FOR OTHER SPECTATORS OF THE SPORT.

AS THIS SPORT HAS DEVELOPED SO HAS THE POTENTIONAL FOR BONAIRE TO TARGET A NEW TOURIST DOLLAR. WE DO NOT THINK THAT THE BAY CAN WITH STAND HIGH NUMBERS OF KITERS & WINDSURFERS AT ANY ONE TIME. HOWEVER THROUGH ZONING & REGULATIONS WE CAN ALL ENJOY THIS SPORT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

SO WHERE ARE WE TAKING ALL OF THIS. WHEN TO AUTOMOBILE WAS FIRST INVENTED, IT WAS DEEMED AS A SINFUL CREATION AND A DANGER TO SOCIETY. OTHER ROAD USERS WOULD BE IN THE GREATEST OF DANGER. REGULATIONS WE BROUGHT IN AND THE C HILDREN COULD THE SIDE WALK SAFELY AS TOO THE CYCLIST. SEAT BELTS WERE INTRODUCED AND MADE MANDATORY AS WELL AS INFORCED FOR THE CAR DRIVER AND ALL ITS PASSENGERS.

SAFETY, RESPECT AND INSTRUCTION WILL GO A LONG WAY TO HELP THIS “NEW” SPORT EVOLVE FROM ITS ORIGINS OF WINDSURFING TO WHAT IT WILL BECOME.

HAGEN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Igor van Riel on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 3:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hagen,

there's no reason 2 shout. Please hit Caps-Lock and refrain from using all capitals.
I don't think people will pay more attention!(they might even refuse 2 read your post)
No offence intended.

Igor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hagen Wegerer on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 8:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So sorry if I have offended but it is easier sometimes for me to do all caps. But then we are side tracking from the issue..!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Igor van Riel on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 8:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

U didn't offend me, Hagen.
I just wanted 2 let u know by most "chatters, etc" all caps is taken 2 be shouting.

I'm not a wind-surfer or a kiteboarder. I dive and snorkle. I think "your" regulations are the only wat 2 go (unless at some point there's evidence of a major bad impact on the ecology of Lac Bay, than the sport, and this goes 4 any sport causing it, should be banned).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pieter Zweers on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 6:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is all about business here!
There are 2 windsurfrental businesses at sorobon.
They actually made a setup, misleading the gouvernment and the marinepark, trying everything they could to not allow kitesurfing in the bay.
I watched the worldcup over there on sunday. Lots of people walking, surfing, filming etc right in the seagrass. Although warned several times,it seemed nobody really listened. So the problem of the seagrass can't be an issue at all.
The environment is not damaged. I am a local kitesurfer staying downwind in the bay, not bothering anyone. While there, especially in the weekend lots of trash floats downwind from people having parties on the beach (plastic bottles, bags, foambags etcetc. The poor turtle I saw nearly every day, might have tried a plastic bag.
because I don't see him anymore. The conch is more or less gone. Lac bay is totally robbed empty. I think if we want to mention a serious danger to the environment then this is a point,
Hagen had a point about the campfires,still smoking the next morning ,broken glassbottles,leftovers of a wild party.
But back to kitesurfing:
Solution: keep the kiters downwind of the windsurfers. It is already more or less the rule.
Lac bay is huge! 1.5 mile x 1.5 mile. We all will fit easily in there.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration