BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and Sailing: Atlantis
Bonaire Talk: Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and Sailing: Atlantis
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 8:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stephen,

We must be talking about two separate locations. In 5 years no one has been blown off-shore, lost to Curacao or a chase boat been swamped at Atlantis. Im in Bonaire 5 weeks per year and dont know of any major injuries or otherwise.

In my first year I was blown out past the seabuoy which isnt visible from shore. The waves are rolling and a bit intimidating but no more.

I have seen many more problems for boarders (experienced or not) launching with an on-shore wind rather than off-shore. Youtube has plenty of evidence.

Anyway, we agree to disagree here. In my opinion, Atlantis is perfect for riding at all levels IF safety precautions are in place. Im not a fan of it as I dive but it is is what it is.

Happy Holidays

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #30286) on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 9:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For the love of God, don't get Steve started again.
This is getting old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 8:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry,

Please dont read it if it bothers you. When there is a song I dislike, I switch the channel. I am not trying to start anything.

Jabbing at me makes no sense.

Being a moderator, delete or move my post if it is out of line.

.....and again with a smile on my face....Happy Holidays to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Tise (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #116) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 1:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine, it seems my attempts at a rational discussion are always hi-jacked by somebody who doesnt like the message. Your point isnt lost on me though. All I can say is that there are not that many people who go to Bonaire to kite specifically because of the off-shore issue. If your impression of kiting is that potrayed on YouTube thats a shame. Modern kite designs have made this "extreme sport" a safe mainstream activity. Lastly, yes you can kite at Atlantis but if you had options Atlantis would be the last place anyone would go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mathias (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 6:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bonaire,

Found this forum and discussion by googling for kiteboarding and bonaire while searching for new destinations to spend my monthly vacation at.

I found it to be quite depressive and horrifying to read that someone thinks that kitesurfing in offshore winds is safer than in onshore winds!? One of the first rules to learn as a kitesurfer is to Never Ever kite in offshore winds. Having equipment failures in offshore conditions has lead to numerous deaths by drowning. Kitesurfing in offshore conditions is only safe if you have land further down of you, then and only then is this to be considered safe.

Personally I have been kitesurfing since year 2000. Where I live in sweden there is no problem with being both kitesurfers and windsurfers sharing the water at the same time as long as you have mutual respect for each other. The only thing required for this to work is that the kitesurfer is skilled enough to hold his edge when going back and forth.

I would love to kitesurf at such a beautiful place as bonaire / Lac Bay. To me it seems like the only ideal spot for kitesurfing at bonaire. But since it seems banned for no reason I have to place my vacation at some other island.

It was this(to me ignorance and lack of knowledge) sentence that made me post my message:
"I have seen many more problems for boarders (experienced or not) launching with an on-shore wind rather than off-shore. Youtube has plenty of evidence."

All the best to the people on Bonaire : )

Mathias

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Tise (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #117) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 9:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for contributing to the conversation Mathias. I agree with everything you said. Seems some people read headlines and not much more. Bonaire really needs to consider the whole situation and include kiting as a component of Lac. A shame that such a resource has been claimed by other interests and that this position sits well with people. I've made numerous attempts at this conversation and just get so much flak. I appreciate that your position which validates my concerns. If somebody does die by being blown off-shore I'll be sure to remind some of the folks here; many of whom think that their piece of the pie is/was worth the price.

Until Bonaire changes this I to will be having to consider other destinations. Mathias, last year I went Aruba, the windward side; specifically Boca Grande was great. Arubas definately worth considering if your sold on the ABC isles. This years vacation will once again not be on Bonaire. I'll be heading to Cozumel and Cancun, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Hopefully my money will be appreciated someplace.... cmon Bonaire, get out of your own way...

(Message edited by Steve_t on March 18, 2011)

(Message edited by Steve_t on March 18, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #108) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have a great time!!

AD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Tise (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #118) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration