BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and Sailing: Windsurfing
Bonaire Talk: Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and Sailing: Archives: Archives 2001 - 2006: Archives - 2001-01-01 to 2004-04-30: Windsurfing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Densmore on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 1:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband loves to windsurf and plans on enjoying it at Bonaire during our visit in 6 days. I haven't seen anyone mention how the windsurfing is and how the winds will be a this time of year. I might even try it again. Is it a good place for beginners to learn(kids and mom)?
Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 9:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

check out this link about windsurfing on InfoBonaire.com

windsurfing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 9:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know from experience, but someone we sailed with for three days on the Woodwind were staying in Curacao and came over to Bonaire for only one day and ended up staying three days!!! The wife loved sailing with us on the Woodwind and she told us that her husband had the best wind surfing at Lac Bay that he has experienced and he has been all over the Caribbean! I also have heard that it is great for beginners, but again it is not from experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Densmore on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 1:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info. Now my husband is very excited and Lac Bay looks like a fun place for the whole family to hang out at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 11:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda, A most excellent place to learn, IMHO! Either at Jibe City or Bonaire Windsurf Place. They are right next to each other. Jibe City also serves food (very good sandwiches and misc. beverages) while BWP only has snacks.

If you do try it, be sure to wear some thin soled water shoes in case you get blown into the dark patches - there are sharp protrusions on the bottom in those places that will hurt your bare feet. Otherwise, it's all sandy, warm like a bath tub and shallow (maybe 3 ft).

Have a great time!

FYI - regarding your children: you should expect to see topless sun bathing at both of these locations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Mullen on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 12:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lac Bay is a great place for beginners to advanced windsurfers. I sailed there everday from Feb. 19 to March 5 mostly on a 100 litre slalom board and 7.5 to 6.0 square meter sails. The wind there this time of year is usualy in the 15 to 20 knot range, of course it did pick up after I left. These last few days it has been 20 to 30 knots. Take lots of sunscreen! There is also excellent snorkelling at the reefs upwind of the windsurf beach. FYI - be careful at low tide as some of the sandbars cannot be sailed over without hitting them with your fin. I got launched over the bars a couple of times!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Densmore on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 3:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank-you for all the information. My husband has already signed up for Jibe City and I think I'll sign up for some beginners lessons. Good to know about the dark areas and sand bars at low tide. This web sight is great! As to the topless sunbathers I'll inform the kids ahead of time. Should make for some interesting school reports! Three more days until we leave! My husband says thanks for the wind report.
Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 2:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The windsufers tell me that our wind readings from the protected East coast (http://www.bonairewebcams.com) are about 7-8 mph less than readings from the West side where Lac Bay is. When I was at Sorobon this weekend the winds were incredible. Lots of windsurfers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Mullen on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 8:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/TNCB.html

Here is a link to current wind conditions at Flamingo airport, if anyone is interested. The wind at Lac Bay would be a little less. ( 5 knots maybe)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 10:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Slight correction: Lac Bay should have more wind since it is on the windward side. The airport is on the leeward side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 9:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We windsurfed at Jibe City for the 7 year in a row from March 4 to March 17. We had two days of almost no wind and two days of 30-40 knots. The rest of the time was in the middle. My smallest sail was 3.3 and the largest was a 6.5. We sailed for 11 days taking 2 days off for low wind and one to snorkel on the Woodwind. The atmosphere at Jibe City is friendly and casual and we meet the same people there year after year. We will be there again next March.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eberhard on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 8:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I have sailed at Lac Bay once a year for the last three years. The waist deep, clear water and new equipment at Jibe City make it a windsurfers paradise. We usually stay 10 days and sail 7. The wind will vary but we've always had enough to have fun and improve our skills. It is at least more consistent than we experiece in Florida. I'd pack a collapsible (sp) cooler and use frozen bottles of water to cool soft drinks, etc. Lunch, with Denise & Josie, at Jibe City's "Hang Out Bar" is excellent. The local instructor, Peter, is excellent and I've seen novice windsurfers progress to low/high intermediates in 7 to 10 days. It's just an all around excellent location. Ernst and his girlfriend do an great job operating the place and Ronnie is always available to answer questions, change sails and help. Gosh, I can't wait to go back! mdeber@aol.com (Mike)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 6:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I dream of a web cam at Jibe City.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 7:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My name is Ann Phelan and I am the promoter of King of the Cape Freestyle Pro Am. I met the Bonaire Kids/adults March 2001 at Midwinters in Merritt Island FL and invited them to our event.

Bryon and Elvis and the kids/young men came for a week and tore up the competition. They placed in ALL categories !! The Bonaire Sailing Team is wonderful. They were courteous and full of comraderie.

Ann Phelan
Cape Cod Windsurfing Assoc.

www.kingofthecape.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 6:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How is the wind in Dec.??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 10:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann,

Look at http://www.jibecity.com for seasonal wind chart. Nice article you had in this week's Bonaire Reporter about the Bonaire Kids. Perhaps you could repost here?

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 6:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jake..here it is:

They came from all over the globe representing Maui, Barbados, The Gorge and Spain. There were license plates on cars representing half of the US. There was also a large group setting up camp from Bonaire? Where? Bonaire, the small island nation in the Netherland Antilles. The biggest ticket and draw for the Third Annual King of the Cape Freestyle Pro AM were ?The Kids? and they were here on the sunny shores of Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

I first met ?The Kids? and the Bonaire contingent when I went to Midwinter?s in FL last winter. I pleaded with my boss to allow me a Friday off so I could fly down and scout the kids for our event. I had seen them on one of Dasher?s videos and knew I had to invite them to King of the Cape. The first one I saw one this tall, ripped red head (not the born with kind of red but out of the bottle magenta). His smile was infectious. Then I saw all these smaller ones out on real adult gear ripping it up on the windy waters at Calema. I ran around searching out the leader of this windsurf cult and found Byron Tromp, a super friendly man who was as enthusiastic about coming to the Cape as I was. The rest is now history as well as future news.

King of the Cape, modeled after King of the Lake, in Garda Italy, is a freestyle competition. This contest attracts world-class windsurfers from around the globe to compete side by side with local and regional competitors. The event delivers non-stop action in almost any weather condition. This year we were blessed with warm sunny days, but the wind was only right for those who excel in the light stuff. It blew from 5-12 the whole weekend. Bonaire sailor Ro Mayer, a pro competitor was psyched for the light winds. He kissed his fingers as a chef would kiss his after tasting a superb meal. Ro loved the light stuff and he would prove this to the judges when he placed 5th overall in Men?s Pro.

Freestyle events are very visual for the spectators. It is a perfect opportunity to ?ham it up for the crowd? and the Bonaire sailors really knew how. Take little Sammy Vingerhoets, with his long blonde hair waving to the crowd during his tacks and jibes. Then there is the little imp of the group, Kiri Thode. I begged Byron to leave him with me. This kid rocks. He can rail ride tail first on a wave board. If he wasn?t smiling it was because we hadn?t fed him in time. He knows how to work the crowd. Then there is Tonkey Frans, the red head I met in FL only now the red is gone for a more mature look. As with his cousin Kiri, Tonkey works the crowd giving out Shaka waves as he sails back winded in the shoreline. His brother Tati was the wonder of the crowd. He wowed us with a flat-water loop several feet from shore. Tati almost competed as an Amateur because of his age, but Race Director, Marc Lefebvre and Byron decided his expertise warranted his entry as a Pro. It was a very profitable decision as Tati placed second in the Pro division.

And speaking of how the other kids and men placed? Each division was flanked with some winner from Bonaire. Choko Frans placed first in the Men?s Novice and Chris Bernabela placed second. Keep in mind these young boys competed with men twice and three times their age. Time on water sure counts in this sport. Living on a windsurf paradise doesn?t hurt either. In Amateur Men, Keke Dammers placed third.

The big news of the weekend was the Pro Division. King of the Cape 2000 winner, Marcos Perez from the Professional Windsurfing Association Tour (PWA) flew in from Spain to defend his title. Other world-class sailors competing for the 6000.00 cash prize purse were Martin Van Geeghoven from Canada and Jace Panabianco from Maui and Web Pedric from The Gorge. Another crowd pleaser, Brian ?Irieman? Talma was there from the sunny island of Barbados. But, it was the dynamic young men from Bonaire that wowed the crowd with their freestyle tricks, personable attitude and down to earth manners. Pro?s Tati and Tonkey and Ro all placed in the top 5 bringing home cash to reward their hard earned efforts. The camaraderie and dedication was apparent. Watching their coach Elvis Martinus working from the shore even changing boards with Tati during the crucial last Men?s Pro Heat was amazing. Not once did Rocky, Bo Booy (Grandpa to Kiri, Tati and Tonkey) or Bryon ever leave the boys whether they were competing, training or distributing Bonaire travel packets to the crowd. Team effort reigned with this group.

In the end, Bonaire dominated the competition. Bonaire flags and t-shirts were visible everywhere. The press and camera crew from around the country was eating it up. And so were ?The Kids?. Word is they will be back to defend their titles June 7-9, 2002.

As we speak, Tonkey, Sky and Tati are in the Gorge training for the Subaru Gorge Games. I am off to meet up with them and to see if I can learn some of their freestyle maneuvers. Most of all I cannot wait until winter when I personally travel to the shores of Lac Bay so I can see where it all happens. And to see where windsurfing is so good and human commitment and national pride is so great, world-class athletes emerge.

Ann L. Phelan

Public Relations/Event Coordinator

Cape Cod Windsurfing Association

King of the Cape

www.kingofthecape.com

ann@antiguacaribbean.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 6:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Could someone mail me the above newspaper?? Thanks..Annie

Ann Phelan
P.O. Box 820
S. DEnnis MA 02660
USA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 11:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will do, Ann. Be back in CT Sunday, the airline gods willing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Glenn..HUGS..have fun and check out Eden for me as I head down Dec. 23..Need clean, neat, cheap near windsurfing at Lac bay and pool..hey, why come back..it's going to be HOT in NE. I live on Cape Cod and head to the Gorge to hook up with Bonaire friends and sail Mon.

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Maring on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 7:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jibe City has a good range of sails. I only sailed one day and started around 1:00 PM
with an 8.0. I think they go up to an 8.5 and it seems the wind as well as the tide is low
around that time. However, it picks up later and I switched to a 6.5 and had a great time.
You can't use a very large fin or else you will be getting launched a lot from catching the
sand.
It is a great place to learn since the water is so shallow but I wouldn't recommend it for
advanced sailing. There are waves breaking outside but the rental guys don't like having
their equipment taken out there. A great place to learn to sail without a fin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josh Rein on Thursday, July 5, 2001 - 10:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am a 15 year old kid who is interested in learing how to windsurf. A couple of questions: Is it easy to learn? Whats involved in doing it? and is Bonaire a good place to learn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Friday, July 6, 2001 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josh, Bonaire is a wonderful place to learn. The water is shallow so you don't have to worry about falling in deep water and the winds push you back toward shore and not out to sea. You need good instruction to start and Bonaire certainly has excellent teachers. You also have to really like the water because in the beginning you spend a lot of time in it. There is a feeling of freedom and excitement in flying over the surface of the water. I only wish I could have started at our age. Go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 3:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone windsurfed around XMas? I would love to be on a 6.0 or smaller and sail at least 5 out of 7 days..Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 9:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

NB7 Everon "Tonky" Frans placed 4th in the Subaru Gorge Games today. GREAT job.

www.gorgegames.com

Annie Phelan
PR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 8:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What is the wind like this month? Just booked a last minute trip for biz/pleasure and hope to sail every day..any ideas..anyone with a wind meter? Why is there NOT a web cam over at Lac Bay..

:))

Annie
PR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann
Bookmark this URL and solve all your Bonaire weather questions with one click
http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/TNCB.html
Mickey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, August 4, 2001 - 8:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Mickey but I wonder if it is windier at the airport vs Lac Bay..I am one of those sick windsurf chics who needs details on the wind. Am coming down the 25th and want windddddd

Annie
:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Saturday, August 4, 2001 - 10:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie, it should be windier on Lac Bay because it is on the windward side (east)and has no obstructions. The airport is on the west side of the island. Sept. is getting into the low wind time and Jibe City is closed in Sept. Hope you luck out. Corney Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Copa Cultimara results (unofficial)

1st. Keke Dammers, the Bonairean jet
2nd. Taty Frans
3rd Tonky Frans

Annie
CCWA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 10:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

HOLY MACKERAL..check out this site for weather..thanks Brigitte

http://www.meteo.an/meteo2/weerkamer/marineforecast.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

TKS, Annie. And, for gmichael's language class, the site comes in Papiamentu!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 12:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

go to the home page http://www.meteo.an click to open it and everything is in English - at least as far as I can see

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 6:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It comes up in English, Bridgette, but P is an available option unlike most of our sites. Didn't mean P only. :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any wind lately? Bonaire Regatta in one week and I want windddddd

Annie
Cape Cod

1 more week

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By winnie de lange on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
I will be in Bonaire first 3 weeks of May, main objective... WINDSURFING !!!! (Yes Ann from Cape Cod, it's a passion....and eating ofcourse...and don't forget the Marguarita's)Wanna fix my jibes & waterstarts (what jibes & waterstarts..?) and I read in Windsurfing Mag Lac Bay is The Place to learn.
Does anyone have experience renting or will I be better off bringing my own gear. Is it at all possible to ask for a special price deal for such an extended period? Or is that not done? I appreciate the equipment is top gear but 3 weeks is a hefty bill and I wondered how flexible they are. Some advise please?
Winnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Winnie, I just came home today and have rented a lot at Jibe City and The Place. Do not bring your gear..it is a hastle on Air JA or any airline and you cannot on AA. I work with both shops and offer nice packages so please call me at 800-219-0118. We can chat.

Lac Bay is amazing..on shore, starboard tack shallow and WARMMMMMMM Wind...Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henk Schrijver on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Winnie,

It is a lot of hassle to take your own equipment from Holland. (assuming you live in Holland according to your e-mail provider).

Both places have excellent equipment and my advise is also e-mail them both and ask for a rate. Tell them what you want, if you want to take a lesson, both instructors are very skilled.

If you want to bring your own sails, the average windspeed is between 15 - 25 knots. But only do this if you have the direct flight from KLM. If you have a lay over in Curacao, don't take the chance. But check with KLM before going to Schiphol, because it may be a problem.

Good luck,
veel surf plezier!

Henk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By winnie de lange on Saturday, March 9, 2002 - 4:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi guys, sorry for my belated reaction but I was out of town (and counting down the days to B-Day meanwhile). Anyway thanks for your inputs and Ann I will call you end of next week to have that chat. I've been reading through a lot on this talk.com and you must be Bonaire connaiseur #1 !!!
Bedankt voor de tip Henk, ik denk inderdaad dat ik m'n setje lekker thuis laat.

Winnie

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration