BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and Sailing: Low tides at lac bay
Bonaire Talk: Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and Sailing: Archives: Archives 2001 - 2006: Archives - 2001-01-01 to 2004-04-30: Low tides at lac bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john smolowe (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, January 1, 2004 - 12:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

on my last of 5 trips to bonaire, lac bay varied from too shallow (high tide) to impossibly shallow (low tide). there was only a tiny channel available to windsurf without catching the fin. does anyone know how to predict when these periods of low water will occur so i can schedule my next trip for higher water?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Swa (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, January 2, 2004 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi John,
It's kind of hard to predict when tide is low, I know that we had a few low tides in september, but it would always come up late in the afternoon. Furthermore it is said that the tide is low in Febr.
But these tips might help you out, even if the tide is low:
I don't know how well you can cut up-wind, but it is recommendable you ride in direction of the reef, close to the floating, wooden raft. It is more deep there than it is close to the surf shops and you should be fine there (but don't go too close to the reef as there can be fire-corals just below the surface!). And probably needless to say: you can see really well where the shallow parts are, it's the light parts, the sandbars...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1611) on Friday, January 2, 2004 - 9:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And then there are Tide Tables....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john smolowe (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, January 2, 2004 - 10:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks glen. how about a reference for finding those tide tables for bonaire that you're referring to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1609) on Saturday, January 3, 2004 - 1:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Bonaire Reporter publishes them in every edition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1612) on Saturday, January 3, 2004 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I knew someone would make that suggestion if I didn't include one then. :–) I will try to find a universal one for planning ahead; I believe the BR is for the current week. Perhaps they can provide their source here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1614) on Saturday, January 3, 2004 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another, first order, info source would be to email the windsurfing ops re tides and water levels. Sort of horse's mouth source instead of....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeroen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

He, why don't you go kitesurfing, you don't have the problem of the shallow water at all!
Reg. J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john smolowe (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks reg. i wish i were younger. looks like fun. i don't think i can hold the kite for 30 min at a time at age 56 - even in a harness. with a windsurfer, i just drop the sail when i get tired. maybe if i had 2 weeks to get used to it.... good idea, though.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration