BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Best fins to reduce pain
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Best fins to reduce pain
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Robinson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 8:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am looking for advice on best fin to reduce my hip pain and increase my time in the water snorkeling. I have both open and closed back aeris velocity fins. Closed back is better for the pain but still get pain regardless.

I am traveling to bonaire this sat - april 30 so not much time to shop. Should I bring both of my current pairs so I have the ones with hard sole booties and the lighter ones if I am in too much pain? Or is there something better I should consider buying altogether?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1605) on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 12:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

These have really helped me, as long as the current is not too strong. My husband got a pair large enough to wear with his hard soled booties. I found my first pair at a Sports Authority, but you can probably get some overnighted from Amazon.com, etc.

http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/index.php/component/content/article/67-fins/175-zip-fins

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #123) on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My mom had problems with knee pain while snorkeling. I bought her a pair of split fins. They are heavy but the fins are split and they are easier to "paddle" while in the water. They helped her a lot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1264) on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 4:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Split fins use more of a "flutter" kick as opposed to using the whole leg from the hips down.
I have used Apollo Bio fins for years for just that reason.
There are lots of folks making split fins that are lighter than the Apollo.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration