BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Snorkeling advice for cruise day
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Snorkeling advice for cruise day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have read so many posts and am still confused what to do. My husband and I leave next week on our cruise. I enjoy snorkeling but am not a good swimmer and tend to be most comfortable close to shore so that I can come in whenever I've had enough, especially since I tend to get cold if I stay in too long (I usually wear a vest). I am uncomfortable with current so prefer a protected area.

To add to this my husband gave up snorkeling a number of years ago because of leakage in his mask as he wears a beard and mustache. So I'm on my own. I have taken boat tours in recent years only to get into the water and find the conditions choppy and unpleasant. That is my concern about going on the Woodwind plus perhaps being in the water too long. I also contacted Renee. She has available a 2-location snorkel but she said one site is in deeper water. Other alternatives include the ship's beginning beach snorkel at Windsock or just spend the day at Plaza Resort if that is easy to be close to shore and see a lot and my husband can spend time on a lounge chair (if there is shade!). I either leave him for a few hours and do something organized or we do something together where there is a beach and shade and chairs to sit on. We could rent a car if that is a better option.

Sorry this is long - I really don't want to leave Bonaire without snorkeling as all reports indicate how wonderful it is but I also don't want to put myself under stress to do it either. What advice can you give me? Thanks for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2355) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 4:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda, Snorkeling on Bonaire is some of the easyest in the world. If you relax and float on the surface you should be fine. When you go on a tour with eather Renee or Dee, you won't be alone! they will watch over you like mother hen's! lol Just relax, and stay with the group, and you will be fine. The next step is in your hands... Ron

(Message edited by ronindiana on January 31, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Steiner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #227) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 4:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Renee is great!! Don't worry about the deeper water. She will literally hold your hand. I love snorkeling at the Plaza. There's a dock with a ladder so the entry is easy and you'll see lots of fish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ppartlo (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 4:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Linda, we have traveled to Bonaire for the past 4-5 years and only snorkel. Also, we have often dealt with "anxious" snorkelers. Based on your post and your concerns, my suggestion would be the Windsock option. It's almost always calm, has a decent beach, has more shade than most of the beaches, easy entry and exit, and it's big enough that you can get some distance from the other snorkelers if that's your preference. We have never snorkeled off Plaza, so I can't comment on the abundance of sea life there, but Windsock has always been a great option for stress free, easy access snorkelling. As is the case anywhere on the island, make sure you're using booties. Hope that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Connie (Port Bonaire) (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 7:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Linda - my 2 cents - I think Plaza is your best bet considering what you have told us so far. Your husband can lounge in the shade on the beach and you can enjoy snorkeling close to shore. There is good snorkeling right there with easy entry and calm waters. The sea floor slopes gently down, so you can choose your comfortable depth. There is a pool right in the beach area if hubby wants to take a dip to cool off. There is also a bar/restaurant on the beach. Nice easy day on the beach with snorkeling and all the comforts. You can walk there from the port.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ppartlo (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 8:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If the snorkeling is good at Plaza, then Connie's definitely right. Plaza has the amenities to allow for a relaxed day. If you wanted the cruise's guided tour, Windsock would work for that type of excursion. Guess it all depends on the need for alone time after a few days cruising with the hubby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 9:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are snorkelers and are headed for our sixth trip in March. We always stay at the Plaza - mainly for the easy snorkeling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone. This really helps.

On another site someone also suggested picking up the glass bottom boat tour at the pier which has an excursion to Klein Bonaire from 10:00 to 12:30. It's reasonable at $25 and also includes snorkel time there. I did hear back from them so that is another option. It is much more reasonable than the $59 pp HAL is charging for the 2 1/2 hours to Windsock, unless that is really a special site. We could do the glass bottom boat, have lunch on the ship, and then walk or taxi to the Plaza in the afternoon, although we'll have to be back on the ship by 4:30 so that might be stretching it.

I'll still consider Renee especially if my husband bales on the glass bottom boat. It seems that she goes to the Plaza as one of her stops and people have noted that they stay on afterwards. That wouldn't work for me if I'm not with my husband.

Regarding booties mentioned here, would I need those if we went to the Plaza Hotel? I only have regular fins so I would have to find them and buy them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8654) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 7:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda I was leaning towards recommending the Plaza, good snorkeling there and hubby would be happy. The other suggestion is to get him to retry snorkeling, the beard is a problem but I know plenty of diver with beards. You just learn to empty your mask early and often.

At the Plaza the entry is slippery and rough but could be done barefoot. You also do the old water shoes in, put on fins, throw water shoes to shore, go snorkeling.

Have a blast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna M. Leiss (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband has a full beard and moustache and has no problems with his mask, which he's had for at least 30 years. He smears a little vaseline on his moustache before he puts the mask on. Also, Renee had some sort of hair slicker stuff that had silicone in it that he tried, and it worked well too. You will not need booties at the Plaza, but if you use the facilities--like the pool or a lounge chair--you're supposed to pay a small fee, $10 I think. We were there a couple of weeks ago, and the entry was a little slippery but not dangerously so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3425) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 3:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda..Tell your husband to use a trimmer and trim mustache off about 1/8 inch below the nose. No one can see the difference and it will allow the mask to seal below the nose. It all grows back anyway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #430) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 5:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vaseline will eventually degrade your silicone mask skirt. I am told that lip balm works well.

I have a moustache and do not use anything for sealing. I usually keep my mask dry with a little positive pressure inside by slowly exhaling through my nose every few breaths. May not work for everyone, but works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Dobson / Den Laman unit F (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #202) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The best place for cruise ship passengers to snorkel is at the end of the shore walk going North from the ship. At the end of the walk (3/4 mile)there is a wall with a small beach (Something Special is the name of the site). In the coral heads in 4 ft of water are a selection of more than 30 juvenile fish and as you go North you are likely to find all kinds of goodies in the sand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Korzeniewski (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #122) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 6:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are a lot of sandy areas at Windsock that you could get by without booties. Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 4:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone for all of the advice! The owner of the glass bottom boat turned out to be a jerk. After telling us we could go for the price noted in his previous email he told us that he had a contract with HAL and we could only book through them (at double the price for less time!). Fat chance...

I have finally decided to snorkel with Renee and stay at the Plaza resort afterwards as suggested. Our friend's husband is joining me (he's never snorkeled before but thought he would give it a try).

I would like to mention that Ulf from Woodwind went out of his way to try and accommodate our group of 4. My friend has health issues and just didn't want to try it. I hope others who are "on the fence" with that excursion give him a try. I don't think anyone could be nicer.

Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patricia Shapiro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #143) on Friday, February 4, 2011 - 3:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In Feb 2010, my husband shaved off his mustache of many years - to ensure clear vision while snorkeling. No biggie - he had been threatening to get rid of his caterpillar for a long time :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolly Hinckley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 8:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does the Plaza have a charge for snorkeling off its beach?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 11:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is no charge to snorkel at the Plaza. All beaches in Bonaire are public. The Plaza charges $10.00 for the day per person for use of a lounge chair and the other resort facilities such as the pool. We each paid the $10 for the day. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. They offered to bring our lunch to the beach although we opted to eat in the restaurant adjacent to the beach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolly Hinckley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Linda. We will be in Bonaire for just the morning - our ship sails at 2 PM, so we will have a quick snorkeling opportunity, and the Plaza sounds just right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #189) on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda, when you get off the cruise ship, follow the road along the ocean heading NORTH all the way to the end. There is a small beach and a reef only a short swim away. Your husband should not stop snorkelling because of his folicle abundance. You can go to any pharmacy and get him some mustache wax. I met a gentleman on island our last trip and asked him what he used for diving. Enjoy Bonaire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dolly,

The snorkel that Nestor recommends is one of the 2 stops that we did with Renee who leads snorkel trips. It was excellent. The 2nd stop with Renee is at the Plaza Resort. She picks you up right at the cruise ship and returns you there (or you can stay longer on your own at the Plaza). She was excellent in pointing out numerous variety of fish, some I would have never seen on my own. The price of $35 per person in my opinion is reasonable and includes the transportation. Here is here email address:

info@reneesnorkeltrips.com

She met us at 8:30 and we completed our snorkeling at 10:45 and then stayed on at the Plaza. The abundance and variety of fish was fantastic and the water was clear and calm.

If you do the Plaza snorkel yourself go to the end of the beach area to the left (facing the water) and use the ladder to get in. The ladder can be slippery so do it sitting down on the step. The area right around the ladder is fabulous and you should also go further left past the ladder to the shallows where there was a wonderful variety of fish. The water is around 79 degrees if you're going now. I use a sleevless wetsuit top that keeps my chest warm and that works well enough for me. Others had light weight long sleeve wet suit tops or short wetsuits. It is however warm enough to not really need anything. Have a great time. I wish I were there now!

Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolly Hinckley (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 1:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Linda,

Thank you so much for the additional info - that sounds like something we might like to do - we will try the link you provided! Can't wait!

Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beverly Weigand (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I noted this message on another part of this site, but want to add it here as well hoping to get an answer before I leave for my cruise this Sunday, March 27. Woodwind is already booked for March 31 which is the day Caribbean Princess will be in port in Bonaire. Is anyone familiar with Compassbonaire? Snorkel trip with them for cruise passengers is $55.00. Does Renee supply snorkel equipment and flotation vests? I can't swim but will snorkel with a vest. What is Windsock. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bev

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 3:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bev,

Renee will supply equipment - she did that for my friend who came with me. You need to let her know what you need and shoe sizes. No one needed a flotation vest but I'm sure she could supply that - you just need to email her and ask. The water is quite salty so will keep you buoyant anyhow. The first of the 2 snorkels is in shallow water and the 2nd snorkel is off the stairs at the Plaza Resort so you can always get out if you felt uncomfortable. The water should be quite calm - you should love it!

Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beverly Weigand (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for your response, Linda. I contacted Renee and unfortunately she is already booked for March 31. I requested a reservation with Compass Bonaire for their afternoon snorkel. They seem to be very similar to Woodwind.

Bev

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #926) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

For those who would like to know more about Renee there is an extensive article here.
I have know Renee for many years and still learned things I did not know.
Mick
http://worldkid66.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/sailors-who-never-left-part-2/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #356) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

www.goodreturnbonaire.com is another possibility, if you want to snorkel at Klein.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration