BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Canon D-10 Camera for Snorkeling
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Canon D-10 Camera for Snorkeling
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #205) on Thursday, March 3, 2011 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone have experience or even opinions on taking underwater pictures with the Canon D-10 camera?

Questions relate to repeated use in the water while snorkeling.

1. Any leaks?

2. Its ability to focus underwater.

3. Ability to see the screen and to read menus while snorkeling?

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Johanna Bowen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Thursday, March 3, 2011 - 5:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I love the D10, all three of the ones I have owned. Canon has replaced mine -- free of charge -- three times in 15 months. Works like a charm, until it doesn't work. I have no problem, taking movies or pictures. The moving object is a problem but that is not a camera thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy T (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5733) on Thursday, March 3, 2011 - 7:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi William,

Just recently got the Canon D-10 and am thrilled with the camera - especially for snorkeling. Just got back from 2 glorious weeks on Bonaire & snorkeled every day with the camera. Never a problem with it. I previously had an Olympus Stylus 770SW which would fog up after about an hour of use. The canon never fogged up or leaked or gave me any problem at all. Also, with the LCD screen you can change the brightness and it worked beautifully underwater & in direct sunlight. The zoom on it was also quite good with very little distortion if any at all. Colors are excellent as well. I didn't shoot any video so I can't comment on that. Battery life was good & I always carry an extra battery with me - ready to go.
Changing settings was easy to do as well while snorkeling - all in all a very good camera!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Miller (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Thursday, March 3, 2011 - 8:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After doing a little research on digital cameras, we bought a Canon D10 last summer for the trip to Bonaire. We snorkel so the 33 feet depth limit was not a problem for what we do.

The camera works very well, so far, both in and out of the water.

We got some nice photographs and some video with no prior digital experience.

I had used film in the past but you can not get film developed on Bonaire any longer. It must be sent out.

The only problem if you want to call it that is trying to look at the screen in order to get the photo you want. It can be a little difficult to check the focus if there are waves. I always used film cameras with the eye piece in the past which was much easier to frame the correct shot.

Even after saying this we bought another D10 so that both my wife and I can each have our own camera while we are visiting Bonaire this summer. Two eyes are much better then one.

If you like you can look at some of the photographs we took last summer. You can go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/patruss2010/

I hope this is some help to you.

Russ and Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #206) on Friday, March 4, 2011 - 1:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for your responses!

Johanna: Were any of the three [3] failures lens related? Were any of them leaks[water in the camera]?
Did you go directly to Canon Customer service for replacement?

Judy: Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you are well pleased with the D-10's underwater performance.

Pat: Thanks for the links to the pictures and videos You have some very nice shots. The Box Jelly videos were especially interesting. I have watched Trunicates [?] at some length on Bonaire but have so far managed to avoid the Jellyfish.
That you bought a second D-10 is certainly a solid recommendation for the camera.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Linda* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9101) on Friday, March 4, 2011 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My friend took this picture with her D-10 while snorkeling in Hawaii.
megans turtle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Johanna Bowen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Friday, March 4, 2011 - 8:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Answer to q. about D10 failures. My three D10 failures were as follows: twice it just died without any error messages. The third time the LCD fogged up after 15-20 minutes on land and in the water. All were within warrantee and all were replaced by Canon. I simply went to the Web site where I had registered the camera, entered my model number and got authorization to mail the camera back for repairs. Twice I got new cameras back and once I got a refurbished camera.
I am totally an amateur.
here are my pics:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AatGTZi2cNGLQrA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PatsyJones (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 12:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Johanna...Nice octopus pix!

Patsy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #207) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The results in this thread seem consistent with the customer reviews elsewhere. Out of some 396 customer reviews of the D-10 on Amazon, 312 give the camera 4 or 5 stars but 52 rate it at 1 or 2 stars. There are very few in the middle.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-D10-Waterproof-Stabilized/product-reviews/B001SER460/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Most of the 1 and 2 stars ratings are either a. lens error; b. it just stopped working; or c. moisture inside -- I.E. it leaked. My concern is that if I buy the Canon D-10 I may be one of the 13 percent [ 52 divided by 396 ] who ends up with what I would call a lemon. While Canon may indeed make good on repair or replacement, I could be without underwater and water related pictures from our upcoming cruise with the kids [4], their spouses [3], and the grandkids [5].

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PatsyJones (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

William...

I, too, debated about which simple,inexpensive point and shoot underwater camera to choose. I got a Panasonic TS2 and used it for the first time recently in Bonaire. It (and any other cameras of this type) requires that you be religious about how you care for it after using it, but so far I have no complaints about it continuing to operate. My pictures are no great art, but here they are (color corrected):

https://picasaweb.google.com/102009625007155318272/BestOfBonaire#

By the end of the week, I was taking a lot of video, which is supposedly the strength of this camera model. They are enjoyable to watch, but I haven't done anything with them.

I am a novice old lady snorkeler, so I just couldn't be bothered with a complicated underwater camera outfit, although I am an experienced DSLR user on land.

Having just been through this buying decision, I know it's hard and you'll be second-guessing yourself even when you make the purchase. That's what makes life so interesting...

Patsy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #208) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patsy: Thanks for the info and pictures with the TS2. You have an extra s after the http that needs to be removed for your link to work.

http://picasaweb.google.com/102009625007155318272/BestOfBonaire#

That said, you have some very very nice pictures on the site.

I also spent a few minutes browsing the photos from the link on your profile page and must say I am impressed. Especially with the thermal pictures at Yellowstone; the Cecropia moths and deer in the backyard; the flower arrangements; and the flowers in the Netherlands.

Some of my Bonaire photos [Fuji F31-fd] can be linked from my profile.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 3:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Among other things, the D10 is negatively buoyant. It'll sink like an expensive rock if it gets away from you. (Mine is currently at the bottom of a river, somewhere between Idaho and the Pacific Ocean.) A tether or lanyard is worth the investment.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration