BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Easy snorkeling
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Easy snorkeling
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stephens (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any suggestions for senior novices as to easy snorkel sites? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PatsyJones (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be watching for helpful replies as my husband and I are also senior novices looking for easy sites, in anticipation of a return visit in November 2011. In this trip report, I noted the easier sites that we encountered on our first trip:

I hope you have as much fun as we did!

Patsy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3471) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 1:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike: Several come to mind..
1. Donkey beach (about 50 yards south of Port Bonaire)
2. Something Special (In front of the Blue Water Condominium)
3. Tori's Reef (down south)
Enjoy your trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1604) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any of the resorts with a dock would be easy. Just might have to pay a small fee to enter from the dock if you don't stay there.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neptune Nick (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #164) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike-
Patsy's trip report mentioned The Plaza Resort's beach as a great spot. I highly recommend it as well.

Easy sandy entry or go up towards The Tipsy Seagull restaurant on property and there is a ladder that will get you in the water. You don't need to be a guest to snorkel or dive there.

Vince and Eric's suggestions are excellent as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #46) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 6:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any of the resorts.... they have piers with ladders for easy entry.
Where are you staying???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 9:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

eden beach and buddy dive east entry with large amount of fish to see

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17283) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 9:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Divi has very easy entry, 2 docks with entry/exit and an abundance of sea life around the docks. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bea and Marvin Jones (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #193) on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eden Beach is great - go either direction from the beach. Just pay attention to the current - it can be a bit strong (sometimes) going towards the harbor. I've even seen a octopus out and about.

Bea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1605) on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sand Dollar resort is right on Bari Reef (although I'm not sure how it is for snorkeling) but it has a great set of metal steps going down from a nice big wooden dock that has rinse showers and gear wash tanks. I do remember there being a fair amount of people snorkeling around the dock when we were diving there.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nancy Klune (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #150) on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 9:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, I'm 64 and didn't find one place that I felt uncomfortable snorkeling the two times my 72 year old husband and I have been there. It's all good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #201) on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eric, the dive pier at Bari Ref is for guests of Sand Dollar and Denlaman guests only. There is a small sand beach though that is accessible for people not staying at these condos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Gates (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #209) on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The issues in my mind are
1. getting into and getting out of the water SAFELY;
2. water either leaking into your mask or swamping the snorkel as you turn your head the wrong way to look at something or an unexpected wave swamps the snorkel resulting in water entering the mask.
3. something unexpected happening -- stingies; not being able to get your flippers on once in the water; getting caught in a surge and washed into the rocks or coral; etc. I have been tipped over backwards while sitting in the shallows trying to remove my fins.

That said, my first recommendation is to establish your comfort level in Bonaire waters by going with Renee [Renee Snorkel tours] and/or Dee and Ulf on the Woodwind [Great sailing/snorkeling excursion]. You will see a lot more going with them and be in good hands if anything should happen. Also, they will help you in and out of the water and take you to the best spots for beginners.

Have a good time and be sure to do a night snorkel with Renee.

Bill [Age 72 in May]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1614) on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nestor, I understand that. They had not specified yet where they are staying.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #355) on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nestor, the small sand beach next to the pier at S$ is off limits to non- S$ guests. Access to Bari is only from the vacant lot next to the traffic circle. It is not an easy entry, but worth it. S$ property is only open to guests/owners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #527) on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 8:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you go to the extreme north shore point of that parking lot, you can walk in quite easily alongside the fence ;-). We had a nice dive there in September.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. Patch (BonaireTalker - Post #72) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 6:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

there are two places we take first-time snorkelers traveling with us. The easiest is the Kralendijk waterfront. The most to see is the closest to shore, so you don't have to go out over your head. The water is calm that you can swim almost into contact with the rocks where sealife is plentiful. The other place is Airport Beach, just south of where the runway would cross the road if it did. There's usually a collection of cars parked along the road, so you can't miss it.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration