BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Bonaire for Snorkeling but not diving?
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Bonaire for Snorkeling but not diving?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Katie Udstuen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 11:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband can't dive because he has ear problems, but we both LOVE to snorkel. Will we enjoy Bonaire if we aren't divers?

Is the reef close enough to the surface to enjoy or will we be looking down 30+ feet?

We've snorkeled Roatan and Provo and loved both. How will Bonaire compare?

Please help us decide if this is the vacation we want!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Korzeniewski (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #119) on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 5:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome. There is lots of reef close, some coral damage from storm, but fish diversity better than what I saw snorkelling Roatan. You will love it. We dive it and snorkel it. My husband also has ear problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 8:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife is an avid snorkeler -- three to four hours a day, mostly right in front of our hotel. Every day is a new adventure for her. There are a number of very accessible locations around the island with easy entry and close-to-shore snorkelling. There is a good book available on snorkelling on Bonaire which describes those locations very well.

For more adventure, consider a trip on the Woodwind or with Renee (type in "Renee Bonaire" and "Woodwind Bonaire" to find their web pages).

I neither snorkel nor dive, yet Bonaire remains my favourite island for any number of reasons. Our 15th trip coming up in February. Can't wait!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #926) on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 9:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You will love snorkeling on Bonaire.
You will have more than 50 places to choose from.
You can do a drift snorkel to Karpata.
Rent a boat and snorkel at Klein or other not accessible places from the shore.
Washington park is a great place to snorkel.
You could easily spend 3 weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Katie Udstuen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you so much for your responses! I'm getting so excited about Bonaire. I know from reading multiple posts on this board that you can snorkel from the shore at most points on the island. What resort would you recommend for excellent snorkeling in front of the hotel/resort?

Also, what airlines fly to Bonaire?

Jeff, you said there is a good book about snorkeling Bonaire. What is the name of the book?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Remco van Reeuwijk (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 1:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Katie,

My wife and I just returned last saturday from a 3 week holiday at Bonaire. We are snorkelers, not divers and found out that 3 weeks was to short... again. There are so many places you can go to to have a great snorkel. This was our 3rd time on the island and yet again, we went to places we haven't been before and saw fishes we didn't see before.

Our nr 1 spot is Wayaka at the Washington Slagbaai Parc (hire a pick-up truck). It has got an easy entry and the fishes will be greeting you as soon as you walk out in to the see. It is also one of the few spots with a sandy beach. We spent the entire thursday over there.

Nr 2 is Karpata, although the waves may look high before you get in to the water. As soon as you are in, just look down and start swimming towards the South over the soft corals. There is a big change you will spot turtles.

And finaly, do go with the Woodwind. They will take you to places at Klein Bonaire and spot everything you wish for. But most of all..... Enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 2:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Katie

Can't find our copy of the book, but it has an obvious sort of title -- "Guide to Diving and Snorkeling on Bonaire.". It may show up on borders.com.

However, just Google "snorkeling Bonaire" and there are lots of websites filled with maps and other information, including photos which will knock your socks off.

For flight selections, tell us where you are flying from. You may get back more information than you ever bargained for!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Naylor (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #234) on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi I agree with Remco about the Woodwind. For me it is a must for snorkeling. Enjoy your trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Remco van Reeuwijk (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 9:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used the 5th edition of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter (the 6th edition is just out) and a Lonely Planet special Diving & Snorkeling Bonaire. A small book called Marine Pictolife Carabbean was helpfull to understand which fishes and turtles we had seen during our snorkeltrips. Don't worry though, all these books are available on Bonaire. You can buy them at several stores in the main street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth Bennett (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 4:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy is a great book to use when choosing snorkeling sites as Susan comments on whether there are interesting things in the shallows or not. Snorkeling is not as good as it was 10 years ago due to the storms, but there are plenty of gorgeous spots to explore. We love the drift snorkel up north from La Dania's Leap to Karpata. Lots of turtles on that one. Down south, Hidden Beach has dense corals and tons of fish with a ray or two. Doesn't matter where you stay---everything is close by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Korzeniewski (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #121) on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 7:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One of our favorites for snorkelling (and diving) is Front Porch, just south of Sand Dollar. Also Andrea 1 and Karpata. Karpata in the am, before the waves kick up. sit on the pier, enter to R of pier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Hopkins (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 8:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For something new, try www.tropicalsnorkeling.com and Galen & Nicole's new Bonaire Snorkeling Guide eBook. I was lucky enough to get hold a preview copy for our trip in August and found it very helpful and current. Their research trip was just this last spring. I have been a fan of their website for a long time, and was nipping at their heels for detailed information on snorkeling locations when they returned. They put it all in the book, and added more to their website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey moluchi (BonaireTalker - Post #57) on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 2:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just took a look at the tropical snorkelling ebook and am impressed. My husband and I have done three month long trips to Bonaire, before and after one of the big storms that damaged the shallow corals. This ebook is up to date with information and helpful tips of where to snorkel now. With an upcoming trip this guide will be going with us. Of course we will do the Woodwind again because it is excellent and a guided snorkel with Renee for the first time as well.

P.S we much prefer Bonaire over Roatan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patricia Shapiro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #141) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 2:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Neither of us dive - we both snorkel. We have been to Bonaire three times for two weeks each time and we love it. Wayaka II is fantastic - and the fish are right under your feet the moment you enter the water - another site we loved is # 52 - Tori's Reef. Both of these have a very easy entry - and so much to see!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #164) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 9:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Katie, welcome to BT. Delta flies to Bonaire via Atlanta on Saturday and Continental flies a red-eye from Houston and Newark on weekends. You could also fly to Curacao any day of the week with AA then catch a puddle jumper to Bonaire. This is our preferred method due to my wife's work schedule.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #165) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 9:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Katie, I forgot to mention you can also fly with Insel air from Miami

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rene blokzijl (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was in Bonaire in shallow light blue water snorkeling, and was run over by à diving boat who came back from à dive trip, i was hit at full speed, and could not hear THE enginesound of THE boat. There are no rules for boats or there captains, anyone of any age can steer à boat without any sort of exam.
Rene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3361) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rene..Sorry to hear about this!
When & where did it happen and what type of injuries did you sustain?

There are many rules for boats set forth by STINAPA..See this link..

http://www.bmp.org/rulesandregulations2.html

Unfortunately, enforcement of the aforementioned may be problematic. NO ONE should ever be at full throttle in the light blue water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3363) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And here's another link for those who are contemplating renting a boat while on Bonaire.
Please be sure you know & abide by the rules..

http://www.bmp.org/brochure_boating.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rene blokzijl (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

At THE Front of bachelors beach EEG Boulevard, snorkeling nearby THE buoy of à , both legs multiplefractures, bacteries in weaker parts, all muscles from my bottom till THE knee were cut, dont know yet what i Will be able to do, still hospitalisized!!!!! THE boat was at full speed when it run over me, i never stood THE change to do anything i did not hear it coming because of high speed of THE boat!!
THE captain off THE boat was on THE phone when it happened so i heard of witnesses.
Rene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #946) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 3:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm so sorry this has happened to you Rene.
I hope you will recover fully.
Was the captain arrested?
There are rules (see above mentioned links), which may help you in getting some compensation. Getting well however, will be your biggest concern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3364) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 7:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rene..I haven't heard anything of a recent accident. WHEN did this occur? Was this a rental boat or a commercial dive boat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rene blokzijl (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 7:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It happened 22 july 2010 it was à commercial dive boat of André Nahr.
Rene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #947) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My goodness!
And since the 22 of July you are still in hospital?
That's shocking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3365) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 4:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I heard about that unfortunate incident when I was on island in Aug. Godspeed to you with your healing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom and Lydia Dodd (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, January 7, 2011 - 10:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I have been going to Bonaire for more than 25 years. We only snorkel and settled on going to Bonaire years ago because it has good for snorkeling. Many other dive destination islands have nice sandy beaches with no coral and little fish diversity. To get to good snorkeling you need to get to the reef and this usually requires a boat. Bonaire has good snorkeling right from shore because most of Bonaire does NOT have a sandy beach.

Most of the island has a rough "iron shore" and coral coming right up to the land. You just drive around the island and look for yellow painted rocks indicating a dive site. The site has an entry points where you can get in the water without getting cut to pieces on coral.

The entry is can still be rough on the feet. We used to walk into the water in rubber soled water socks and then put bare feet into full foot fins near the waters edge. The water socks were stuffed under coral rubble to keep them from washing away. Putting on these type fins with waves hitting you and often no place to sit is not easy. We now strongly prefer dive boots and open back fins for Bonaire.

Bottom line: make sure you bring something with decent soles to get you to the waters edge for shore entry.

We used to take dive boat trips to Klein Bonaire and snorkel there. We do it less lately because you never know which site you will go to. You booked the trip to go to a good snorkel site, but another boat gets to the mooring first and then your boat goes to a alternative site with lousy snorkeling. Sometimes the boat turns around and moors near the main island at a place you can snorkel to from shore.

On a few occasions we have arranged a special snorkel trip to Klein on a dive boat. If you get enough people the boat will drift along as you snorkel. These are great trips. We haven't taken any of the guided snorkel trips, but will do at least one this February. When you stay a month you conserve cash. We do not stay on the beach and spend the money saved on a car. I can't think of any beach that would satisfy me for a trip. You really want to get a car and do shore trips.

The two hurricanes destroyed some of our favorite spots and others are not as good. This is all relative. There is still plenty to see and it keeps us coming back for more. I'll give some site tips in another post. Tom

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration