BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Fins
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Fins
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #112) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My dad is coming to Bonaire with my mom and I this summer. His fins are a bit too long for him and he gets sore ankles. There is nothing else wrong with these fins. Can we cut them with a razor blade to make them shorter? or should we just get a new pair that are shorter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #27394) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 4:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The fins might not have enough flex at the tips if you cut them???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #315) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've tried shortening several pairs of fins over the years. It really doesn't work well because what's left of the blade is too stiff and results in the same stress on ankles/knees. Best to get new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1329) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 6:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I use something similar to these (I got mine at Sports Authority years ago). If I need to use booties to get to a location (like the reef at Sorobon), I wear the hard-soled booties out, then change into my fins (you can't wear booties with these fins). I put my booties in their mesh bag & wear it up under my T-Shirt on my back. The hunch-back look is a head-turner! Rinse & repeat. I use my bigger fins only if I know there'll be a strong current--otherwise I prefer these, as they're much easier on my ankles & knees.

http://www.swimfins.net/#

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #398) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 7:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Swim Outlet has Zips $10 off.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1463.htm
Ruth is this what you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #27399) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 9:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, go see Bruce, tell him the problem, it will be solved.

I rest my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1330) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 10:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's a rare thing, but Jerry, gotta disagree here--Bruce is the man for just about everything else, but not this--come prepared. Divers fins will kill your ankles & knees if you snorkel a lot (my snorkels w/swim fins can last 1-2 hours painlessly, but with my dive fins, I'd be crippled after that time).

Bud-those are EXACTLY what I use--thanks for the link; after about 8 years, I need a new pair; they've worn out a bit...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1331) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 10:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nuts-my "zips" are discontinued! Gotta search for an equivalent.

IMO, it's the strap at the back, allowing flexibility, that takes the pressure off the ankle. I had a full-fin for snorkeling that I trimmed, but with my foot ensconced in the full foot, it didn't help relieve the ankle stress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #399) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 11:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth,

There are new ZIPS in their catalog and basically the same as the old ones. I will leave you my straps if thats what you need. Sports Authority still carries them too.
I leave July 17.

Remember Thursday is Ostracod night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #400) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 11:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.aquasphereswim.com/

I am sure you can get them on Aqua Sphere, the manufacturer site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel H. (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 7:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What is Ostracod night?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1232) on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 10:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostracod ???

Actually, I'm betting this is it:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/tms/ostracod.htm

How hijacked is this thread???!

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wish I had gills (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #160) on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eric, you loose your bet. It is in your first link:

"Bioluminescence
Some ostracods have a light organ in which they produce luminescent chemicals. Most use the light as predation defense, while some use the light for mating (only in the Caribbean)."

It's like diving in a starlit night! One of the most special experiences you can have while diving, it is breathtaking!!! Go nightdiving and turn of your light, wait till your eyes adjust to the dark and you'll see it. (it's not the normal Bioluminescence)

It's not as much hijacked as you thought, it's still about diving :).

To get back on topic: go with the zips, you'll go a bit slower but that's better anyway when there's not much current.

(Message edited by blerkbonaire on June 30, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1234) on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 11:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cool. Something to do with the moon cycle?

I've turned off my flashlight on a night dive before and clapped my hands to see the bioluminescence. But never seen anything like you're describing.

For right now I'll just have to enjoy the millions of fireflies that we have at dusk here in Oklahoma. They really are spectacular as well!

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #401) on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gills is right. That is a good link from Wiki.

Mel. One of the species of O bioluminenses a few days after the full moon. It happens over the reef about 30 minutes to one hour after the sunsets. Ostracods are written about extensively here on BT if you use the Keyword Search. Caren E is a primary source of info.

Gills is also right about the Zips being slower but that is a good thing, the slower you go, the more you see....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1333) on Thursday, July 1, 2010 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Whew-thanks all (straps are fine, and probably the best feature of these zips--part of the fin has developed a crack side to side). If it breaks off I'll be swimming in circles.

By pure luck, the other week when the winds were low, I snorkeled inside the reef at Sorobon. Lots of "clouds" hanging in the water...discovered the sea biscuits were spawning. Kinda cool till ya think about what you're swimming thru...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #113) on Saturday, July 3, 2010 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the input on the fins. We went to our local dive shop yesterday and got him a new pair of split fins.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration