BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Please identify?
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Please identify?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl Stiebeling (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 10:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,
We just returned from a fabulous week of snorkeling in Bonaire. On Sunday the 20th, we were snorkeling at Tori's Reef, and had gone there to see the Eagle Rays that hang out there. We saw both of them, and close by we also saw a larger ray that was grey in color and had a shorter tail. He was on the bottom close to the dive marker, and not moving around as much as the eagles. Can anyone identify this ray? Sorry, I have no photos because I didn't have my camera on this particular day. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #853) on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cheryl
Sounds like a Southern Sting Ray.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1112) on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It might have been this

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=southern+stingray&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=OSoiTIGDJYKTnQfLu43BDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQsAQwAw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1220) on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 12:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I vote for Southern Stingray as well. But hard to know for sure without a picture.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl Stiebeling (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, thank you all. Based on the google images, the Southern Stingray wins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #267) on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 4:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Exciting, saw a Southern Stingray snorkeling at 18th Palm in April.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gotta dive (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 2:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The male Southern Sting Rays have shorter tails and the females long ones.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration