BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Diver Down Flag Used/Needed on Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Diver Down Flag Used/Needed on Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richelle_eric_inOK (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, May 3, 2010 - 11:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, have been searching the subjects and posts for information on using a diver down flag while snorkeling. We have one and have taken it to Maui, Florida, St. Thomas and Grand Cayman. I can't find any searches even on google where anyone talks about using one on Bonaire. My gut tells me to haul it down to Bonaire, but if most snorkel sites are protected is there no threat of boats? The only reason we might not take it is to save space in our bag...if no one uses one there. Your advice is appreciated. We leave on Friday May 21st. Can't wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #26321) on Monday, May 3, 2010 - 12:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not needed on Bon Richelle. Sun screen, bug spray, sunglasses and a hat. Have a ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2979) on Monday, May 3, 2010 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richelle..there's was one left in our dive storage locker for the last 6 months,. When I was down in Feb I threw it in the garbage (which on Bonaire is where it belongs)..Leave it at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #224) on Monday, May 3, 2010 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would bring a skin or shorty, too. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3216) on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 - 12:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another thing to think about also is that the red-and-white 'dive flag' that is used in the US is not recognized internationally! The international dive flag is blue and white. Thus a red-and-white flag on a small float may be even more of 'boat target' on Bonaire than it is in the US. So, leave it at home. (The kite boarders down south have been said to use any flag in the water as a pylon.) :-)

On Bonaire, the rule is that all boats traveling along the coast are to stay out in blue water except when going directly to or from their piers. That doesn't apply so much in the span between the marina and the Town Pier where the yachts are moored but is observed generally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Hopkins (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 - 5:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are staying at Pelican Reef Beach House, which is very close to the marina. Should I be concerned about snorkeling in the general area?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #230) on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 - 5:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are boat moorings and general boat areas, the snorkel areas are in general away from these places. People swim laps along Playa Lecchi, but they have to be extra careful with dive boats picking up people at the piers. I think there are better and safer snorkel places on Bonaire. Bari Reef in the N and Windsock in the S, the Plaza house Reef 18th Palm is close by, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1550) on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 - 2:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sue. The boats from the marina do not really pass Pelican and the public mooring stops one house short of pelican. You will not have a problem and will be able to see the squid and the two blue parrot fish without being bothered.
Trust me, after 6 stays at Pelican I Know :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Hopkins (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 - 12:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Julia,
I read that because of volcanic action, your last stay was prolonged. I sent you a private message to the email address list on your profile, asking questions pertaining to Pelican Reef. Would you mind sending me an email so I can get your correct address and send you my questions again? I would love to know more about PRBH. Thanks, Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Hopkins (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 - 2:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Julia, I forgot my email address: susanlhopkins@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richelle_eric_inOK (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 8:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Everyone!
BTers will save us more room in our bag.
Usually I go with "better safe than sorry" but I think its going to be very safe without one per all of your advice. Our shorties are packed. :-)

PS That is very interesting about the international dive flag colors. I wonder why they don't coordinate. :-) The last thing I need is to be a pylon for a kite boarder. Ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3217) on Friday, May 7, 2010 - 4:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The red and white 'dive flag' was an invention of the US dive industry or divers and at least at one time was used only by US divers. So the failure to coordinate was by our dive industry. :–)

Unless things have changed you will find that commercial dive operations in the US and the US military use the International flag and not the red and white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rene blokzijl (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are no rules for boats, i was run over by à diversboat at fulltime speed, in THE light blue water, at à diversspot.
Watching two divers feeding THE fish. Bonaire has no rules anyone at any age can take à boat
Rene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #343) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 3:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rene, you lived to report, thank god! I hope you are ok and do not have any longterm disabilities. As a snorkeler I would want to know , what could you have done to prevent this accident?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By GlassFloat (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Whenever I hear a boat engine while I'm snorkeling, I pop my head up and have a good look around just to see where they are and where they're headed. Even better if I can tell they've seen me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rene blokzijl (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When à boat with two engins is going at full speed you cant hear THE boat, THE sound will become to high to hear, i have been snorkeling and diving all my life and yes whenever i heard à boat i always looked up i have been always aware of THE danger. When you hear à enginesound of à boat i always looked up to see where hè was going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3273) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rene,

One way to help solve the problem is to report any such incident to the dive operator who owns the boat (if you can identify it, either in the water or by talking to a dive op later - they all can i.d. each other's boats) and to STINAPA. My experience is that all the managers involved take violation of the motor-boats-stay-in-blue-water rules or code very seriously.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration