BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Currents
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Currents
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wm koelm (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 8:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are snorkelers and I have seem some comments about currents. Had an experience in Belieze where I ended up swimming about a mile due to an unexpected current--without fins on an ad hoc snorkel--really do not want to do that again. What is the story on currents on Bonaire. We are average swimmers. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 9:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, there are currents - some days worse than others. In order to enjoy your snorkeling experience, you should invest in some fins, a good snorkel and a good mask. My husband and I also use snorkeling vests. We are both fairly good swimmers and are comfortable in the water, but the vests are nice to have if we are out for a long time or if the water is choppy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Johanna Bowen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are currents and there is often a need to maneuver through a channel as you enter or exit from a shore spot. Fins are not an option, they really are a necessity. I watched a woman with no fins get tossed onto fire coral out on Kleine Bonaire in January. It wasn't pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nancy Klune (BonaireTalker - Post #89) on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am not a strong swimmer at all and would never go in the water here on Bonaire without fins. One day we couldn't find a beach without strong waves or currents so I didn't swim but today we hit three beaches and I had no problem. And I have the sunburn to prove it! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #255) on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 6:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And do not go out snorkeling when the winds are really high (25 knots or more) because things get really unpredictable--even in front of Yellow Submarine, which looks fairly placid, had a horrendous current coming back this past December. My friend and I ended up walking in the shallows because swimming with fins was getting us nowhere.

And just several days ago when the winds were high, a 29 year old snorkeler died at Klein Bonaire, with currents implicated.

Overall when the winds are high like that, I opt to not snorkel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MBZ aka JimmyChooWho aka R.A. (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16067) on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 7:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pauline, any details as to how that happened? What a horrible tragedy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Jackson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 2:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got back from my first trip to Bonaire today, and I have to say that I didn't find the currents to be bad at all. I am, of course, comparing the currents to things I've experienced in the north atlantic or the north shore of oahu - and I suppose it is possible the currents were simply mild last week.

probably best to play it safe, but it bears mentioning that not once did I feel in danger or overtaxed, even when snorkeling without fins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Naylor (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #193) on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have just got back from a snorkeling trip on the Woodwind to Klein Bonaire. There was one very timid lady who had never snorkeled in the group. Dee took her under her wing and the lady loved it.
In fact she was very quick to spot the first ray!!! She did not wear fins but still enjoyed the guided drift snorkels. She was still there when we saw the second ray and the several turtles. All the gear is provided. Enjoy hour visit to Bonaire.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration